The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2006, 05:06 PM   #1
cgbills

rifles in indiana

can anyone tell me why it is not legal to hunt deer in indiana with a rifle but you can take a coyote on your or someone else land with one? Am i missing something and you just cant hunt deer on public property with a rifle? can you hunt deer on private property with a rifle? it just seems kind of stupid to me.
Old December 11, 2006, 10:26 PM   #2
TCman

In Indiana we cannot use rifles because in norther indiana it is too flat. A rifle bullet will go too far and kill someone. How many people do you know that deer hunt on opening day of deer season compaed to coyote season? That is why you can use them for coyote and not deer.
Old December 11, 2006, 10:40 PM   #3
taylorce1

I don't have this problem of having to use a shotgun for hunting deer in my State but this is what I came up with. If you think you guys have a lot of deer hunters on opening day you should come over here and check out opening day of rifle season for Elk on public lands. I coudn't go much over 100 yards without finding some orange over by Craig and Meeker.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/about/deerequip.htm
Old December 11, 2006, 11:13 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

Same here in Wa. Its rediculously crowded for deer and elk on public land.
Old December 11, 2006, 11:17 PM   #5
Spahrtan

I do think its odd that we cannot use rifles, even pistol caliber ones, but can go out with Thompson handguns and blast off rifle rounds?
Old December 11, 2006, 11:26 PM   #6
jhgreasemonkey

I always assumed Indiana and "no rifle hunting" states had smaller forests. I have never been there. I thought the no rifle rule was for small parcels of forest land that they were worried about bullets traveling into areas inhabited with people.
Old December 12, 2006, 06:56 AM   #7
TCman

Yea we can use the TC pistols, but how many really do compared to the number of people that would be using a rifle?
Old December 12, 2006, 11:47 AM   #8
kwkoch

as TCman said earlier we cannot use rifles due to the fact that northern indiana is flat farm ground and there is a posibilty of it traveling where it was not intended. the T/C pistols do have rifle chamberings and are legal, but those are short range rifle cartridges especially when fired out of a 10-14 inch barrel. i personally think they should look at it county to county, but then everyone up north would want to come south to hunt. plus where im at i dont need a 300 yard gun, i can take deer cleanly out to 175 yards with my scoped shotgun w/sabots. or my encore muzzleloader will do the same, most deer are taken inside 100 yards.

plus it makes for more of a hunt that way.
Old December 12, 2006, 11:50 AM   #9
kwkoch

Quote:
I always assumed Indiana and "no rifle hunting" states had smaller forests. I have never been there. I thought the no rifle rule was for small parcels of forest land that they were worried about bullets traveling into areas inhabited with people.
actually in southern indiana we have the hoosier national forest which is public land that anyone can hunt as long as they are licensed and it is 267,000 acres and is for the most part all woods.
Old December 12, 2006, 11:59 AM   #10
gunslinger1911ACP

Thank God I live and hunt in TEXAS.
Old December 12, 2006, 02:07 PM   #11
mikejonestkd

>>>>the T/C pistols do have rifle chamberings and are legal, but those are short range rifle cartridges especially when fired out of a 10-14 inch barrel.

Incorrect, unless you feel that the .243, .260, 270, .280, .30-06 and the .308 are short range rifle cartridges.....

yes, you lose about 100 yards of effective range VS a long barreled rifle but any of the above will drop a deer MUCH farther than most of us can shoot at.

I am getting 2650 FPS out of my 15" .308 encore with 150 gr NBTs. That ain't no short range round....

Here in NY they are changing the rifle restrictions and have opened up a few counties to rifles in the past few years. Hoefully they will open up a few more soon, like my county!!!!
Old December 12, 2006, 02:18 PM   #12
kwkoch

Quote:
Incorrect, unless you feel that the .243, .260, 270, .280, .30-06 and the .308 are short range rifle cartridges.....
no, those arent short range cartridges. i was mainly thinking of the contender line up. like .35remington, 30-30, etc... in a pistol the rifle or even revolver ammunition has to be of .35 caliber or better. rules out the above mentioned calibers. i should have remembered the encore pistol being that i have the encore rifle. sorry bout that. but as far as indiana and the rifle situation goes there are currently talks about letting rifles that use straight wall cartridges ie .44rem mag for deer but according to current regs you could use a .50 cal barret rifle for squirrels, coyotes, ground hogs, etc...
Old December 12, 2006, 03:00 PM   #13
mikejonestkd

Since you have an encore rifle...all you need is to reg it as a pistol and get a new barrel and grips....they can be addicting once you start to get new barrels for it.

My encore spends part of the year as a rifle and part as a pistol, it is one of my favorite centerfires. TC puts together one heck of a nice product.

I am hoping that they will open up my area for rifles, I would rather use my encore as a rifle than a pistol...

I do agree that it is strange that in my area my .308 pistol is legal but a .308 with a barrel 1" longer ( and a shoulder stock ) is illegal.

Heck, you could get a barrel in .375 H&H or .416 rigby if you have a .35 cal minimum....now that would be a great deer pistol!!!!

Last edited by mikejonestkd; December 12, 2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added the .375 and .416
Old December 12, 2006, 03:02 PM   #14
TCman

If the talk about straight walled calibers goes through, does that mean we could use a 45-70?
Old December 12, 2006, 03:04 PM   #15
mikejonestkd

Why stop with the .45-70? Most of the nitro express rounds are straight walled.....

KABOOM!!!
Old December 13, 2006, 05:50 AM   #16
kwkoch

i would assume that 45-70 would be one of the legal cartridges. they just said straight wall cartridges, just like they say any centerfire rifle cartridge is legal for coyotes??????? i think it just boils down to the number of people out in the woods during deer season.
Old December 13, 2006, 05:54 AM   #17
kwkoch

Quote:
Since you have an encore rifle...all you need is to reg it as a pistol and get a new barrel and grips....they can be addicting once you start to get new barrels for it.
i really would have no need to convert to a pistol with my encore if i want to deer hunt with a pistol i have my .454, however i am very interested getting another rifle barrel in the .204 ruger chambering.
Old December 13, 2006, 08:39 PM   #18
jhgreasemonkey

You would think that they would allow rifles at least in some forested areas.
Old December 14, 2006, 02:52 PM   #19
kwkoch

you would think but like i said all the hunters would migrate south to the hills/wooded areas???????