The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 5, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1
LoadIt

Leaky Camelback Tube...Help

I bought my son a 2 liter Camelbak recently and upon the first filling noticed a leak. We took out the bladder and noticed it leaking from where the tube connects to the nipple on the bladder. I can't return it because I purchased it from a "closeout" store. It was in new condition with tags but I think it may be a 2004 model.

Think I should try a different tube? How about a small bit of silicone? Any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks...LoadIt
Old September 5, 2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Hedley

All I have is a ten year old first-gen CamelBack that I used to use while riding motocross. It's got the tube premanently affixed to the bladder, so you'd have to post pics for me to understand your leak. But I do know that applying silicone will make the water taste like silicone. I once tried that on a bursted bladder. Even if it's just used externally, I'd be willing to bet your son's water will forever taste bad.

If it's just a rubber tube like mine, snip of about an inch, and re-fit it to the nipple. That cheap trick always works for leaky fuel lines.
Old September 5, 2006, 02:46 PM   #3
LoadIt

I'll try the snip and refit. If that doesn't work, I'll post a pic tomarrow. I'll let ya know what happens. Thanks...LoadIt
Old September 6, 2006, 02:30 PM   #4
LoadIt

Well, I removed the rubber tube and clipped off a bit of it then refit it onto the nipple. It went on alot harder than it came off. It's alot tighter now. The bladder has been sitting in my sink for about an hour now with no sign of a leak. Thanks for the advice Hedley.

LoadIt
Old September 6, 2006, 06:25 PM   #5
guntotin_fool

For what it's worth, If you hold the cut end under HOT water and then slide it on, it goes on much easier, I used boiling water and it slid on real nice and then I worked the material of the tube firmly into the ripples of the stub that holds it, making it seal tighter.
Old September 8, 2006, 12:04 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Extra bladders (w/tube) are very cheap - just find 2 or 3 replacements, so you'll have spares on hand.

Quote:
Leaky Camelback Tube
That comes very close to sounding like a personal problem to me.
Old September 21, 2006, 11:10 AM   #7
whitebb

Just buy a new bladder and be done with it. I mountain bike so I know what you mean! I replaced my crappy camelback bladder with a platapus. It was cheap, and looked cheap. Lasted 3 years without problems or leaks before I bought another hydration system