The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 17, 2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Pahoo

Understanding the old, to appreciate the new;

Many years ago or as they say; When Moby Dick was a Guppy, I started out my weapon's great adventure, shooting slingshots and bows and arrows. Progressed to bow hunting for many years and have often stated that the best hunters, started out as bowhunters. Then one day, I ran into a bunch of Buckskinners that were making a lot of noise and smoke. Got hooked, then and thar and glad for the day. From these experiences, I've gotten to appreciate modern firearms and shooting, in general. So many of the elements of modern shooting, I learned many years ago. .....

This Saturday, I will be assisting in one of our hunter safety classes and as usual, leading the M/L station. We will have a new instructor at this station as this will meet one of her three requirements to become a certified instructor. I've noticed that all the new instructors, come away with a greater appreciation for firearms once they understand how to load and shoot an M/L. We promote M/L's, teach sidelocks and in-lines as well as safety.

The students soon understand my passion for the sidelocks as this is where it all started, isn't it?? .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 17, 2011, 01:56 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

I've been tempted,,,

On occasion I've been tempted to buy a side-lock cap and ball pistol,,,
So when people say "Hey Aarond, will you teach me to shoot?",,,
I have something completely primitive to start them out with.

In reality I'll probably never do this,,,
I quit BP shooting years ago,,,
I got tired of the mess.

But I remember how much more appreciative I was of cartridge guns,,,
After I first started to mess with a cap and ball front stuffer rifle,,,
It gave me a clear impression of how modern firearms work

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 17, 2011, 05:39 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

I fired my first muzzleloader when I was about ten - nearly 50 years ago. I remember how much I was awed by the whole experience. BP isn't for everyone as we all are different in our likes and dislikes. I had a chance to be involved many years ago in teaching the muzzleloading portion of a hunter's safety class - before it actually became part of the curriculum. I remember well how interested the kids were in it and I also think, like you do, that it gave them a greater idea and appreciation for how a firearm works. When I was a kid, I hunted with a percussion rifle - a 32 caliber. I took my share of squirrels and varmints but probably the most important thing I learned early on was to "make each shot count". After all, the squirrel wasn't going to wait around while I reloaded. Even today, as I have recently moved in to shooting cartridge handguns - both revolver and semi autos - I still find that I am "conditioned" and in that same frame of mind. This past winter, while in AZ, I went to a range a number of times and sometimes would just stand back and watch others shoot. The young ones with their fancy semi-autos seemed to be more concerned with how many shots they could get off in a short period of time and then were displeased when they hit all over the place. I was shooting one day and a young fella asked me afterwards how come I shoot "so slow" - then I asked him to show me his target and I showed him mine - he didn't have much to say after that. Kids today often get a "bad rap" but I have to tell you, the kids that I see that are hunters and shooters are good kids - and I think a lot of credit for that goes to those of you who are instructors and the guidance you're showing them - as well as lessons they'll remember and carry with them the rest of their lives. My hat really goes off to you guys and gals - you should be very proud of what you do.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 17, 2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Tanker6

The only kids I get to see shoot are CAS shooters.....or my own kids. I started my 8 y/o out with .22's last month. Of course, I've shown him the proper grip and instructed him on sight picture, etc. The last thing I've told him is this...."Until you get really good...the faster it goes 'bang', the more likely it won't go 'ding'." He's doing pretty well and misses only a couple of targets at each shoot (out of about 60 rounds). Well, he shot his first couple of CAS shoots by staging his pistols since his holsters weren't ready yet. Finally, last shoot, he had his holsters. Sure enough, on the first stage, he whips out his first pistol and pulls off two shots....high. He immediately slowed down and got the last 8 hits. Then, he turns around to me and says, "Too fast bang...."
Old June 17, 2011, 08:51 PM   #5
OutlawJoseyWales

The world is such a different place now.
Being raised in the rural south, as kids we "walked patrol" with BB guns. We shot at just about everything "that walked, crawled or moved."
What a great life.

That world is long gone for most of America.
Glad to see so many of you are able to carry on our great firearms tradition.

One of the big reasons I like BP, particularly C&B revolvers is how totally complicated it is. Every single shot is in essence, a handload.
The amount of stuff it takes to fire and clean these beasts just adds to the uniqueness and fun that I have with these firearms.
You never get bored. Just about the time you figure it out-a cap won't fire.

Love this site, and have learned tons from all y'all. Thanks, OJW
Old June 17, 2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Doyle

OJW, I guess I've grown just the opposite in my old age. I dabbled with the old-fashioned black-powder decades ago but just couldn't get excited about it. Now, I use a modern inline during muzzleloader season - only because the state won't let me use a centerfire. As I get older I tend to gravitate towards things that are less complex. Heck, if I hunted in AL where you are allowed to use certain centerfire calibers during "primitive weapons" season, I'd probably give up my muzzleloader.
Old June 18, 2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Noz

OJW, That is what makes a good Frontiersman.
Old June 20, 2011, 02:43 PM   #8
shortwave

Seems as though many of us had similar childhoods. My first deer hunting ventures as a kid was bow hunting with dad. Then it was packing around dads 58 cal.Zouave that weighed more then I did. I was 9-10 at the time and would be plum wore out at the end of the day. But I remember an old fella at a hunters camp telling me "I wasn't huntin less I used a flintlock".. Don't think that ole guy ever shot a deer cause I can't remember him ever leaving the seat he had around the pot belly stove at camp..
At any rate, was sure glad to get my first 50 cal. T/C Hawkins at around 12 or so. That thing felt like a feather.

Forty yrs. later, its still in the safe and shoots as good as when it was new. A lot of memories wrapped up in that gun. Today, I mostly use an inline but I take it out 2-3 days every m/l season just for memory sake. Its still my fav.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Pahoo

Well, last Saturday we had our class and as usual, I did all the loading. Aside from the safety aspects, I try to make a connection between the old and new and how "all" modern firearms evolved from our sidelocks and even the original hand-cannons. ....

Case in point;
One young woman commented why we have to mess with M/L's when it's easier to just put a bullet in the breech and fire away. I stated that aside from it being a state's requirement, it's good to know where the new stuff, came from. I asked her what she liked to shoot and she said; A .38 special.
So, I take one out of my gear, pointed to the primer, case that held the projectile as well as the projectile and pointed out to her that that .38, would have never existed if it wasn't for M/L's. Asked her if she new about rifling and she replied she did but didn't know how that came about. I pointed to my sidelock. I think she finally got the point and understood what I was trying to present. Informed her that there is a dedicated and select group of folks that love shooting the old stuff. She just rolled her eyes.

She then asked if In-lines were a valid step in the evolution of modern firearm. Of course I said: ...... NO ......

Be Safe !!!