The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 21, 2005, 08:12 AM   #1
backfromthefuture

Hogs for the second time.

As long as my 300 win mag is here by christmas like they said, I should be going hog hunting on the 27th or so. This is only my 2nd time dealing with hogs, the first time we didn't get none, but spotted some with my spotting scope, they were small. Now, I don't know if this is fact or not, but this guy thats wants us to take care of these hogs, said that he has hogs that are at least 500 to 600LBs. He said they are so big that they been eating out of his cow feeders. Like I said I don't know if this is true. I will see soon though. Since I never directly dealed with hogs, do any of ya'll on here have any suggestion for me? and would it be smart to take a sidearm, like my .38 special?

BFF
Old December 21, 2005, 09:45 AM   #2
XLT

I don't know many folks who hunt hogs who don't carry a sidearm of some sort. Ideally, you might want something with a little more juice behind it than the .38, but if that's what you have go with it.

FWIW, it is entirely possible that hogs reach the size that this guy claims and at that size they are tough to kill (and even harder to eat :barf: ). Have fun.
Old December 21, 2005, 10:07 AM   #3
backfromthefuture

Well as you know in oklahoma, it requires no licsense to hunt hogs, and theres no bag limit, so this guy said what we kill, we can leave or take. He said theres only two hogs he knows of that are there that are around 500 to 600LBs, we plan on getting both of them and getting a shoulder mount of one and a full body mount from the other, the shooting 1 or 2: 200pounders to get processed for food. If its to expensive to get the biggins mounted we will leave them. The hogs are tearing up his crops and scaring his cows and eating the cows food, he only has a 12gauge or he would kill them his self. He said all he needs us to do is kill them and he will handle the rest, unless we want to take any. I'm sure if I hit it in the side a few times with a .38 at point blank after I already hit it with a 300 win mag i'm sure he would go easy. Maybe go easy. But thanks for the advice.

BFF
Old December 21, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4
zeisloft

According to the net Lawton has a population of 88,214 as of July 2004. So if I was you, before you bring along the .38, try this: Grab a local phone book, soak it in a 5gal bucket for a few hours, pull it out of the water and shoot it with the load you plan to carry. Examine the results, feel confident? Go hunt...otherwise, use more gun. I'd advise heavy and hard, not light and hollow. And dont overlook the smaller piggys (40-150#), you will find they are the true trophy, atleast on the dinner table. Good luck, and I'd recomend a .41 or greater.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old December 21, 2005, 01:37 PM   #5
SCcdp

We hunt hogs fairly regularly here in SC and I have killed numerous hogs with a .41 magnum. I have not shot any as big as 500-600 lbs but that round is good medicine for 300lbs and smaller. I would definitely carry a sidearem if you are going to be stalking or hunting from the ground in any other fashion.
Old December 21, 2005, 05:11 PM   #6
kingudaroad

Don't be surprised to see them dead in their tracks with well placed 300 win mag. A shot in the vitals will kill them faster than a head shot in my experience.
Old December 22, 2005, 01:03 AM   #7
backfromthefuture

We are going to be hunting on the ground, and theres no trees. Its like a prarie, haha! Ok I appreciate ya'lls advice.

BFF
Old December 22, 2005, 01:36 AM   #8
Rich636

I happened to be goose hunting when I ran upon this hog, on my side I had my GP-100 with .38 +Ps, they did the trick. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but I didn't plan on running into a hog.

[/IMG]
Old December 22, 2005, 06:28 PM   #9
Csspecs

A .38 beats having nothing. So if it's just weather or not to bring it take it along. As the saying goes "It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

I know people that hunt hogs in Florida. They said that the only good tasting ones were the females. The large males taste like urine and the smaller ones smell like it.
Old December 22, 2005, 09:00 PM   #10
Rich636

Yeah the one in my picture is a male, it's my first hog so I don't know if they all smell? But wow this one smelled like petting zoo times 10...we made sure not to puncture the bladder and all, but I think it's just the oil from the skin or meat that has the smell. I couldn't wash it off my hands with anything, it took a few days to wear off. It wasn't an unhealthy smell like feces or bacteria, just a wild porky smell haha.
Old December 22, 2005, 10:07 PM   #11
impact

If you are in open country make long shots with the 300. Then you will not need to worry about a hog attack. But still carry a sidearm! Make the rancher happy and take as many hogs as you can. Belive you me the hogs will be back. If you take a sow at close range with piglets the piglets will stay with the sow. Pickem off with the 38. Piglets are easy to clean and cook good on the grill.
Old December 22, 2005, 10:55 PM   #12
whiskey

big old smart hogs usually don't stroll about during daylight waiting to be shot. If it is legal, it is in Texas, I would spotlight the hogs. They are far more active at night. Otherwise hunt early and late. The .38 is light for pigs. It is better than nothing though. The .300 will work great. Shoot them in the neck. Check out http://www.texasboars.com and read all you can.
Old December 23, 2005, 12:31 AM   #13
backfromthefuture

Thanks for all the info everyone. i'm reading on texas boars now.

BFF
Old December 24, 2005, 03:49 AM   #14
Wisby

I took a buddy along with me on a Hog hunt that had nvr been before. I carried a .280 and had my 30-30. The way we did was if I didn't drop it and it started coming at us he better be rdy to rifleman it down. I shot a few hogs that day none came at us, we swapped guns and he shot some also. I have very rarelly seen a lone Hog almost always in grp's. On our new lease I've seen what I would call herds of hogs, and there are some 500-600 pounders out there massive hogs and you can kill them for sure a 300. I would shoot them in confidence with 30-30. One last thing I'm not suire why but Hog's run away from white spotlights when I tried to spotlight them I've heard Amber and Red doesn't affect them at all.
Old December 24, 2005, 04:08 PM   #15
armedtotheteeth

one of my favorite methods of killing hogs is to use a cheapy red lantern hanging from a deer feeder or tree . I use a 5 gal bucket of old soaked deercorn. (Give it a week to get good and stinky) Spread the corn out under the lantern about sundown or when you know the hogs will come out. I sit back 2-3 hundred yards with my ar-30 300 win mag. The red light doesnt spook them and the distance prevnents them from getting too spooked by gun noise provided you shoot well, head shot . The whole clan usually wont run until you make one squeal. I often kill 10 at a time doing this. Stay upwind they can smell you easily.watch out for game wardens and deer though. give the local game wardens a heads up that you will be killin hogs at night and all will be well