The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 21, 2002, 04:20 PM   #1
brownlow

Whitetail stand for some NY Hunting

I'm headed up to New York this fall for some whitetail hunting, and I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

When it comes to guns, everyone is motivated by what they have and shoot. But I've got that covered with a .30-06 and a .45 Colt

When it comes to tactics, it depends on location - I've never hunted NY before, and help would be appreciated. I'll be north of Poughkeepsie (I know I butchered that spelling).

When it comes to deer stands, scents, gear, its what people want to sell you.

What is a good deer stand, safe and sturdy, that I can handle?

Also, are there any good sources online for white tail hunting & tips. Most I have found haven't been that meaty past the basics.

Thanks.

WGBV
Old October 21, 2002, 09:16 PM   #2
Legionnaire

I like Summit stands. They're quiet and light. Right now, I'm using a Bushmaster XL. But any of the cable stands are great.

As far as in-depth stuff on deer hunting, check out the forum at http://forum.hunting.net/bbs/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3. Some pretty knowledgable folks there.
Old October 21, 2002, 10:28 PM   #3
keano44

As far as stand recommendations, you haven't given enough information IMO. Its a very personal decision, and if you'd like some help, you should narrow it down as much as possible. Climber, Lock-on, Ladder, Tripod, you must have some idea of what your personal preferences are. What type of country will you be hunting? Open, thick, hardwoods, bottoms, piney, all make a difference in what could be recommended.
Myself, I prefer a climber which is very sturdy, and quiet. Mine is homemade, welded aluminum, but there are many good ones out there. API is one company which comes to mind. I hunt the swamps and hardwood forests of south central Louisiana. On my hunting lease, I also use a lock-on stand, which I can leave in place, and use a set of quick attaching ladder steps to reach it. When I am not using my stand, others won't be using it either, as I take the steps with me.
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44