The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 20, 2006, 05:19 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Padlock question (hunting-related; for locking up tree stands,etc.)

I *think* that this is sufficiently gun-related, but maybe not....

Here's the deal. In stores, you can buy padlocks in singles, or packs of 4, all keyed the same. The singles tell you which key they use (keycode), so you can buy several others with the same key code (IF they are in stock). BUT, the 4-packs don't have the key code, which I find very stupid and irritating. Because I want 16-20 ALL keyed the same. I want to buy 4-5 four-packs with the same key code, for locking up stuff at both hunting land(s) and around the house (gate, tool shed, etc.). But I cannot since they don't put down the key code on the package, and even if they did, they wouldn't necessarily have 4 other 4-packs in stock with the same code (likely not even 1 other with the same key in stock at any given moment).

So, has anyone ever confronted this problem? What's the best way to get 15-20 pretty decent padlocks all keyed the same? Where/how to order such online? Thanks.
Old July 20, 2006, 05:26 PM   #2
jhgreasemonkey

It might be kind of spendy but a local locksmith can set you up. Even the little stands. We deal with those in the auto business and they have padlocks also.
Old July 20, 2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Scorch

You can order locks keyed alike in sets. If you want, you can order 1,000 of them all keyed alike. Generally they are sold in sets of 10 or 12, but all you have to do is talk with someone who can order the locks. Go to a safety supply vendor if you cannot get your local ACE or Good Value or Home Depot hardware man to order them.
Old July 23, 2006, 10:39 AM   #4
dfaugh

Get thee to a locksmith. They will usually have large groups of locks, all keyed alike, for just such a request. If not they can key up some (and use 1/2 steps and such, so no "standard" key will fit them.) Also, they can advise best ones for outdoor use. Even so, I've found you need to lubricate them from time to time, or they get "sticky". Around here, in the winter they'll literally freeze, but I've had good luck just keeping the hosed down periodically w/ WD-40--repels moisture, and keep them lubed.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 24, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Crosshair

A propane torch will unfreeze locks quickly

/Ask me how I know.
Old July 25, 2006, 12:24 AM   #6
guntotin_fool

call around, look in the phone book for locksmiths, commercial, ask them

if not call "7 corners hardware" in St Paul MN AFTER you find what kind of locks you like, ask them for a price, you will like it. 651 224 4859 for several years they were the biggest mail order tool shop on the planet. they will treat you right. I have ordered lots of 40 with all the same key for jobsites,
Old July 28, 2006, 08:24 PM   #7
piercfh

Why dont you just buy combination locks? No key to lose, and you can set them all the same. Pluss most store bought locks can be picked with not much skill.
Old July 28, 2006, 11:18 PM   #8

Picking a lock takes a lot of skill.
I have a set of picks and play around with it from time to time. Given enough time, I can pick most basic padlocks but it usually takes awhile. I have seen locksmiths pick locks and they didn't look any better than me.

On the other hand, a set of bolt cutters will pick most padlocks in a second.

I realize this doesn't add a thing to the thread and for that I apologize. But, pretty much every thead on these boards where some type of security is being discussed, the discussion eventually turns to how easy it would be to defeat. This is all very true, and to me only shows that there is no reason to go overboard: no matter what you do, it can be beaten. So, you make a reasonable effort at security and then hope for the best.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.