The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 02:41 PM   #1
stevej

Was wondering about these SA

and how they stack up to the Rugers. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/car...-1.htmlWanting a 357 with a 5 1/2" barrel. Am wanting a Blackhawk Convertible 357/9mm but may have to settle for just the 357 as the convertibles seem hard to find. Going to a gun show on the 15th, don't know what will be there. No Cimarrons in my LGSs. I do like the Rugers, got a Single 10 blue model I love along with 3 more semi-auto by Ruger. Just wondering about the Cimarron, love the finish.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2
drail

As long as you're not a handloader who likes to "push the envelope" they're perfectly usable guns. I am also a fan of their finish work. Just limit them to standard pressure loads. Shooting Corbon and Buffalo Bore level loads will loosen them up. Buy some extra springs. You'll need them. After several have broken you'll understand why Ruger redesigned the gun to use coil springs instead of flat leaf springs. I would not hesitate to buy one.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Broken springs on single actions (notably the trigger/bolt spring) are not limited to Uberti, and in fact Uberti is not as bad as others in that department. While the original guns also experienced spring breakage, a lot of the problem is due to the poor quality of modern flat springs; spring makers seem to have forgotten how to make those springs, plus making them as was done in the past would be far too expensive in today's market.

But Ruger had the right idea; he wanted to make practical guns and while he liked the classic look, it took second place to making his guns usable and at moderate cost.

Jim
Old December 3, 2012, 06:42 PM   #4
mmb713

I've got the Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible with a 6.5" barrel and it is a great gun. I got it to go with my 45 Blackhawk convertible. To be honest I never shot the 9mm cylinder until I bought a 9mm pistol, and then only to chronograph my 9mm handloads. Shooting 357 is where it's at with this revolver and that's what I use it for, so if you can't find a convertible it's not a huge loss. Unless that's what you really want, then you should keep looking or order one and get on a waiting list. No sense spending good money on something second best for you. I like the adjustable sights on the Blackhawk better than any fixed sight gun. If I were going with a fixed sight model I'd go with a Ruger Vaquero, not an Italian SAA clone. The Cimarron may be a prettier gun but the Blackhawk built on the large frame is about as strong as a 357 Magnum can get. The flattop Blackhawk and New Vaqueros are built on a smaller frame but are still more durable than any SAA clone.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Bob Wright

My .44 Specials:

Cimarron & Ruger.

Bob Wright
Old December 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #6
gak

Buy what suits you in looks and feel. IMO, amongst the Rugers the smaller midframe Flattop and New Vaquero (same frame just different topstrap and sight set up) are as much gun as most need in the .357...by comprison, the large frame Blackhawk having more bulk than necessary for the round. OTOH, compared to the steel framed blued Flattops and NVs, most blued BH's have an aluminum gripframe and ejector housing (ERH), so weight is almost a wash between the two frames. Stainless should theoretically favor the smaller frames. The adjustable sighted midframe was made in a limited quantity as the 50th Anniversary Flattop. Though the .357 Flattops are still not ultra-rare, the larger framed non-flattop Blackhawks are much more common being a regular catalog item. Lotrs of them out there - new and used. .It's odd that Ruger has not made the .357 Flattop a catalog item, as it seemed to be a very popular item new (2006-07 or so?).

In addition to midframe Rugers in .357, I have a Cimarron Model P in .44 Sp ca 2008 and have yet to break a spring. Ultimately I'd make the decision two factors - 1) the above visceral impression and fit and 2) how important loading a full six is to you (Ruger). There's nothing like the Colt-ish snick snick (nd click-click-click-click) of the Cimarron/Uberti line, but I do believe the Rugers, whether large or mid-frame, will stand up to heavier (ab)use,...though the Ubertis (Cimarrons, etc) are well made guns too IMO.

It is true that there is another similar Uberti option - the Beretta Stampede, some swear by others "at," that has a transfer bar per Ruger "permitting" that 6th round. The Stampede detractors have cited the transfer bar mechanism and related small internal bits not being as well designed or executed as Ruger nd therefore not up to heavy (read especially CAS) use. Don't know how accurtate. I've found the Cimarrons to be a bit nicer finish but admit I haven't looked at the Berettas lately, and it is another choice in a Colt-sized and feel gun.

Bob or others please correct me, but I believe some recent Ubertis (in addition to the Berettas) are using coil springs?
Old December 3, 2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Jim March

The Ruger is the better gun for carry or serious customization.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Throckmorton

for durability,buy the Ruger

all the Italian made colt 'clones' are inferior to Rugers' where it couints..on the inside.I say this as the owner of 4 clones,and 1 35 year old Blackhawk that was used hard for wax-bullet competition.
the clones have been worked on many times over the years,the Ruger just keeps going.
why do I have the 4 vs the 1 ? I love the heft and feel of the clones,the ruger is a sledgehammer,the clones are a finishing hammer.

imho,ymmv,all that jazz
Old December 4, 2012, 11:41 AM   #9
stevej

Guess I will just keep looking

for a Ruger 357, sure hope I can find the convertible which is really the one I crave. All 4 of my present handguns are Rugers, 22LR except for my SR9c, love my Single 10. I'm new to handgun as well as shooting, always been a fisherman. But with the present political climate and the fact that there seems to be a shooting just about every day in the nearest town, less than 40K, is why I got into handguns. Thinking of selling my Lite or SR22 to help with the $'s for my 357 and then may get a pocket gun, fixed income. My wife goes to town by herself at least once a week but she does come home before dark, we live in the country so no problems shooting out here. Can't get her to touch a gun, we are both in our late 70's. Oldest daughter is the same but the 2 youngest are getting into handguns with the youngest a member of a range which only allows revolvers for the ladies. Thanks for all the info. Oh by the way 1 LGS does have a new 2" GP100 and a use 3" GP100, may be a better choice. But no 9mm, don't reload. Any good sites for bulk ammo?
Old December 4, 2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Bob Wright

gak said:

Quote:
Bob or others please correct me, but I believe some recent Ubertis (in addition to the Berettas) are using coil springs?
My Cimarron Model P has Colt style flat mainspring.

Bob Wright
Old December 4, 2012, 04:55 PM   #11
L_Killkenny

I'm not gonna bash on the Cimarron's, they make some dandy lookin guns but they are what they are, a Colt clone. In the 50's Ruger designed and built an SA that was better than any Colt to that date in the function, strength and durability departments, Do you think a clone is gonna better it?

It really depends on what you want or need. If you're stuck on wanting a true Colt type action just like John Wayne had then get a Cimarron. If you're lookin for the best SA handgun than the Ruger is easily the better choice.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Joespapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny View Post
I'm not gonna bash on the Cimarron's, they make some dandy lookin guns but they are what they are, a Colt clone. In the 50's Ruger designed and built an SA that was better than any Colt to that date in the function, strength and durability departments, Do you think a clone is gonna better it?

It really depends on what you want or need. If you're stuck on wanting a true Colt type action just like John Wayne had then get a Cimarron. If you're lookin for the best SA handgun than the Ruger is easily the better choice.
If you want the Colt type action.....get a Colt! From experience I can honestly say...you'll be happier in the long run.
JMT YMMV
Old December 6, 2012, 12:25 AM   #13
Shotgun693

I have clones and real Colt's. If I wanted a modern gun that looked similar to a real Colt I might get a ruger. I don't need a really hot load, factory or factory equivalent is plenty. I have shot people and game with a Colt and none of'm ever complained.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:21 AM   #14
ltc444

Ditto on gak's comment
Old December 6, 2012, 01:37 AM   #15
Jim Watson

I believe that the Cimarron Cowboy Comp Action that "eliminates the weakenesses of the 1873 action" has a coil spring and plunger instead of a leaf spring on the hand. I know a friend's Taylor SASS match guns do, but that may have been a gunsmith job by or after Taylor.

You would think they would use a wire bolt spring, too, but I don't know and cannot google it out.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:33 AM   #16
Hammerhead

Quote:
Oh by the way 1 LGS does have a new 2" GP100 and a use 3" GP100, may be a better choice. But no 9mm, don't reload.
Get the 3" GP100 if it looks OK.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:27 AM   #17
El Bango

Go for the Blackhawk .357 you wont regret your decision,and keep your eye out for a 9mm Cylinder.Or even better advertise on one of the forums in Wanted to Buy.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:56 PM   #18
stevej

"Get the 3" GP100 if it looks OK."

I missed out on those 2 at my LGS but have a forum fishing friend that is selling me a nice 07 3" SS GP100 for $350 total. Have not seen it except in pics but he says its very nice. Still want a 9mm or 38 revolver for a truck gun, may have to look for a used Taurus or CA. Something I won't cry about if I have to leave it in my car/truck and it get stolen. Haven't figured out the quote thing yet, have to copy/paste.