The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 9, 2013, 09:38 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelf2
True that. He would have to go through a Virginia FFL to sell it so a Virginia citizen. Since he makes frequent trips to Virginia, my assumption was that he has a partner/associate here in Virginia that can do the NICS and transfer. None the less, it's not a private sale.
Never assume.

I do not think you were out of place in raising the question. His response would make me want to never do business with him. I wouldn't worry about him, but the unfortunate fact is that the federal laws pertaining to interstate sales of firearms apply to both the buyer and the seller. So this guy may be (knowingly or unknowingly) engaging in illegal sales that could make any buyer in Virginia an instant felon.

I think it's worth reporting to Armslist, as suggested above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Plated
I do not agree with or support these lawa, as such see no reason why I should help enforce them.
I don't agree with the laws, either, but I would report it in the hope of preventing a dirtbag from luring uninformed buyers into committing felonious acts.
Old June 9, 2013, 09:52 AM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override
What if you had bought a gun from him at a gun Show in your state, and the transaction was described as "a personal sale"?

It might not be legal to allow a personal sale when a guy is already an FFL, or do most southern states distinguish between:
A) a personal sale by an FFL at a Gun Show, and-
B) a sale by the same guy, which is characterized as "on the business side" at a Gun Show?
We're still discussing a seller from one state offering guns for sale in another state, right? If so, what some "southern states" (or any other states) might or might not allow or prohibit doesn't matter, because interstate sales are subject to federal law. Federal law for interstate sales of handguns are VERY clear -- the firearm MUST be transferred to the buyer through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

Period.

I know several FFLs. They keep very careful records, and firearms in their personal collections either have never been entered into their business's bound book, or have been logged out to their personal ownership. The range where I shoot is also a gun shop. The range rental guns are not for sale and are not part of the sales business. Each one has a hangtag (when it's not actively being rented and shot) indicating that it is a rental firearm that is the personal property of the range owner. That way, when the BATFE comes around for an inspection, they can see which guns are not in the bound book and they won't waste time asking to see the entry for the Ruger 10/22 in the rental rack.

An FFL can't just play fast and loose with calling a firearm "personal property" one day and "business property" another day. Each time it changes from business to personal or from personal to business, it requires an entry in the bound book. Certainly, an FFL can own personal firearms, and they can sell their personal firearms. When they do so, they are subject to the same laws and regulations that you and I are subject to.