The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Steelers252006

Three Pump Shotguns

Went to Bass Pro tonight, was slow 'cause of the time, had a good hour and a half with the guy behind the counter, who was very knowledgeable and spent time going over each gun with me in detail. Basically I narrowed this down to three, Browning BPS, Benelli SuperNova, Remington 870. On each I would want one that takes 3.5 shells.

Now for a few questions. First, out of these three choices which would be the best choice do you think for my first pump and why?

Second, I cannot decide between 26 inch and 28 inch. Again, this will be for something to have around the house, self-defense, and to also get out and shoot and enjoy shooting. Which barrel length would be best?

Third, there is also still a small part of me that is considering one of the
"knock-offs" per se, Stevens, Norinco, Pardner, etc. Out of those, which is the best, and why?

Thanks so much!!!
Old November 3, 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
jmortimer

"I cannot decide between 26 inch and 28 inch. Again, this will be for something to have around the house, self-defense, and to also get out and shoot and enjoy shooting. Which barrel length would be best?"
Neither for what you describe, but between the two the shorter barrel, i.e. 26" They are all good choices, pick the one that "speaks to you." As for a barrel for around the house, 18" to 20" would be best.
Old November 3, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
TurkeyOak

Hard to beat a 870. I think you can switch barrels easily.
One reason I picked my Maverick because it took Mossberg barrels and had a single nut swap out. I bought it with a 28" barrel but bought a 18.5" for $85. Now I can shoot clays with the 28" or swap out to the 18" for home defense. 2functions for less than $100.
Old November 3, 2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Steelers252006

I think you can switch out barrels on the 870 as well, but the guy at the place told me the barrel is the costliest part of the shotgun, and in some cases you could get another whole gun for the price of a barrel. That sound about right??
Old November 3, 2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Major Dave (retired)

Rem 870's

due to the fact that they have been manufactured for so many years, and so many are owned, have the largest selection of aftermarket accessories, including barrels of every length, choke tubes of every constriction, etc.

In other words, 870 parts and accessories are widely available, and every little "hole in the wall" LGS and every gunsmith can provide them to you.

For example, I have two 870 Wingmasters, both in right handed actions. This was a problem, because I am a lefty. So, I went to a local gun shop and had them install a lefty safety button in both guns. The ejection port on both is still on the right side, but the shells crossing in front of me are not a problem.

Another LGS put sling swivels on my 12 ga 870, so I can sling carry and shoot it like a rifle, when I use it with rifled slugs to hunt deer. I have a 20 inch slug barrel, a 26 inch barrel with Rem Chokes and ventilated rib, and a 28 inch barrel in fixed modified choke, no rib-three barrels, each for different uses.

Both fixes were no big deal, because both LGS's had worked on every modification possible for 870's for decades.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); November 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:41 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

Bass Pro gave me the same line about the 870 barrels being so costly you may as well buy a second gun. BS. They charge too much. Having bought an 870 with an 18.5 incher, I picked up a used 28" remchoke for $85. The long barrel goes on when I take it to the range and the short HD barrel goes back on when it comes home. Better yet, if a combo set is on sale pick one up.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:58 AM   #7
silvrjeepr

I think just about everyone has owned at least one 870. They're great shotguns. The supernova will be the toughest of the bunch. It's a throw it in the mud, shoot, then wipe it off if you feel like it kind of gun. It's also much more clunky and rattle prone than the other two. I personally hate the location of the safety on the supernova, but other than that I love the gun. I can't say I've ever owned a BPS, but I've heard nothing but good about them. Sounds like you can't go wrong with any of them.

Get a 28" model, then find an 18" barrel on the net for whatever brand you decide on. Prices aren't that bad if you do your homework.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:25 AM   #8
droptrd

Quote:
Better yet, if a combo set is on sale pick one up.
+1

To the OP

My opinion even a 26 is too long for HD. Combos are the way to go. Try to hold out till you find a field security style combo. Or look for something with an 18" barrel. I just picked up my 3rd 500 because i found a field deer combo out the door for 270. Thats like getting the deer barrel for free almost.

What are you planning on doing where you would need a 3.5 chamber?
Old November 4, 2012, 09:49 AM   #9
9ballbilly

I own a left-handed 870 express magnum. It is my favorite all around shotgun. However, it is chambered for 3" shells not 3 1/2". Because mine is mainly in the role of HD/ backpacking I had the factory 28" bbl cut back to 18 1/2" and re-threaded for choke tubes.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Water-Man

Forget 3.5". Not necessary and generates too much recoil for HD.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:02 AM   #11
John1 S

I have the remington 887 & 870 in 3 1/2 " and like bought of them. The 887 doesn't kick as bad with the 3 1/2 as the 870. But just what ever you like.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:18 PM   #12
BigJimP

I still think the 3 1/2" chamber is a waste of money - unless you intend to use it for Goose hunting specifically....and nobody I know wants to shoot all day with 3 1/2" shells at Geese ..in a fixed breech shotgun (vs a semi-auto) which will take some of the abuse out of those big heavy magnum loads.

....and a lot of guys still hunt Geese with 3" shells anyway....

#1 on my list is still the BPS...for smoothness of the action and resale.
#2 on my list would be the Nova ...but the ones I've fired were not nearly as smooth at the BPS
#3 on my list is the 870 ....resale value isn't there / way too many of them made..and the lower end of the 870's (the express models) is where most of the sales are in that line of guns these days - with mixed reviews ( rough chambers, not spectacular triggers, fit to finish a little rough ).
Old November 6, 2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Pistolgripshotty

Personally I prefer Mossberg however with the 3 that you are choosing from I would definitely go for the 870 because of its versatility. Who knows maybe you might buy all 3
Old November 6, 2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Steelers252006

Hehehe, you may be right my friend!!