The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Black Dog

New Reloader Questions

Yep, another old shooter but new reloader with questions.

I`ll be doing mostly .45ACP and smaller amounts of 44/44Mag and .243 rifle.

Don`t want to start with a progressive, so I narrowed my press choice down to either a Lee Classic Cast turret or a Redding T-7 turret.

I like the 7 stations on the T-7 since as a new loader I want to use a RCBS Lock-Out Die in whatever press I get but I don`t think Redding itself makes a Powder Drop that goes into one of the stations, at least I can`t find one in any online store. So can I use either a Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop or the Lee Autodisk Power Measure in one of the T-7`s stations without any major conversions ?

If I go with the 4 station Lee Classic there any way to use the RCBS Lock -Out Die in the loading sequence ? Looks like I would need 5 stations for that ?

Thanks for any help advice or comments
Old April 13, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Sevens

If I were you, or if I were specifically directing you, I wouldn't get a lock-out die. A turret press is never going to be a progressive and trying to use one as if it were a progressive is slower than using it for batch loading. It's also not as safe for checking powder levels as batch loading.

Batch loading = taking 50 or 100 (or 300) pieces of brass and sizing every piece. Then, prime every piece. Then flare the mouths of every piece. Then use your favorite powder measure to drop a charge in to each piece and place them in a loading block.

THEN, carefully inspect all the pieces of charged brass in your loading block... it will be horribly easy to see if you double charged one or forgot powder in another. All pieces should look exactly the same.

Then, seat bullets/crimp in each of those charged rounds.

That's batch loading... it'll never be as fast as progressive, but it's faster and safer than trying to "simulate" a progressive press with a turret that simply can't do progressive loading.

A progressive uses a shell plate and can do 3-4-5 things at one time with EACH throw of the handle. You can't do that with a turret press.

Turrets for the Lee Classic Turret are cheap and quickly swappable. While the Redding is a fine press, I think the Lee Classic Turret is a better buy. Either would work well for ya.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:03 PM   #3
mongoose33

What SEVENS said. The lockout die is only really useful for a Progressive.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Jim243

Lee Classic Turret exceptional great for pistol loading. Also can be used for rifle.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Black Dog

I want to thank you all for your help. The great thing about this Forum is that the guys not only answer your questions but they answer the questions they know us Noobs should have asked

Got my reference/load books at last so hopefully will get started with batch loading soon on a turret, that seems to make sense for me being old and slow moving and new to it. I`ll start with mild target loads for .45ACP.

I`ve been doing a charging dry run with a Redding Power Measure 3BR , RCBS 505 scale and weighing every charge of Unique Powder. It seems that each charge is +/- .5 grains or less. Is that normal ? Is it close enough ?
Old April 15, 2010, 11:55 AM   #6
mongoose33

It's an excellent powder for many applications, but Unique is not a very metering-friendly powder.

A half-grain variation strikes me as a lot.

Some things you can do which may help reduce variation:

First, it takes a while for powder to settle down in a measure before it starts throwing consistent loads. Sometimes you'll see recommendations that you throw 20 or 30 loads before doing it for real.

What I've found matters a lot is "pre-settling" the powder. I take a large allen wrench or similar, and simply tap the measure to settle the powder. It allows me to get to a consistent load much faster (usually within about 5 throws).

Second, static electricity can influence how smoothly powder will meter. Take a used dryer sheet (the kind used to soften clothes), and rub the outside of the measure to remove static.

Third, did the measure (specifically but not limited to the rotor) need to be cleaned of oil before you started using it? If you didn't do this, it's possible powder is sticking inside the measure or rotor, and that's accounting for some variation.

Fourth, I see it recommended in many places that one should either run a pound of powder through a new measure to condition it, or to run graphite powder through it. The powder through the measure approach often leaves a graphite residue which will help condition and lubricate the mechanism.

Fifth, are you sure your scale is accurate?

In the end, Unique is likely to give you some variation in loads; if you're not pushing the upper end, that shouldn't matter too much. But you're still going to have variation with it.

I like Unique, but I moved away from it because of the metering characteristics. That obviously doesn't matter much if you individually weigh every charge, but in a higher-volume application it's an issue.

In my .45 and 9mm rounds I use W231 and WST. Both meter much better than Unique.
Old April 15, 2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Sevens

Those are all terrific tips for dealing with Unique. Great ideas and use them well.

My suggestion is easier-- put the Unique on your shelf and keep it as a powder you use one day when you are further along.

No matter how I've tried, I cannot get an adjustable volumetric powder measure to throw a consistent charge of Unique... (also known as "combustible dirt.")

It's easier, especially if you are new at the reload bench, to buy a different powder. Many folks do quite well with W231, AA#2, Titegroup, Bullseye and others. Any one of these powders will give you a consistent powder drop, usually within 0.2 grains every time.