The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 28, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
chasgrips45

Trigger question

Hi all, so i just got my new old Colt Trooper, from Gun broker.6"bbl really a pretty gun. I am now a Colt guy!!!! At any rate,When I pull the trigger, double action,I feel a definite''notch", small but it`s there. Further ,if you put pressure one way & press the trigger left trigger pressure no notch ,right pressure on the trigger ,notch. It feels like a small detente as pressure is applied. I also notice a bit more lateral movement of the trigger .Another interesting observation, when I put pressure on the left of trigger towards the center , I feel spring tension, laterally.When I push the trigger laterally to the right ,nothing no spring side load. I get the feeling that some grubby little half assed gunsmith was at work on a Colt action. I know the symptoms I just wrote about are vague, but I know something don`t feel right. Oh yes ,the single and double action on the gun is great ,once you get the trigger through the detente feel . I promise I will not touch a thing in there ,& screw it up worse! Ok , it `s about 2 hours from my initial post. I took the gun apart ,the internal workings were totally bone dry. It seems that the hammer strut was not working smoothly against the back of the trigger. The notchly feel was the "chirp" of two pieces of metal slightly scraping over each other. No way am I going to start filing anything! How about me polishing the 2 mating pieces?

Last edited by chasgrips45; August 28, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old August 28, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Unless the trigger or DA strut is damaged, a better option is a dab of a good gun grease.

I apply a little grease to:
The top, bottom, and sear face of the trigger.
To the front and back of the DA strut.
To the sear area of the hammer, and the shelf just above the sear area.
To the front face, the front and back of the hand.
To the notch in the back of the hand.
To the top of the rebound lever where the Vee spring rides.
To the "tail" of the cylinder locking bolt.
Old August 28, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
chasgrips45

The gun just doesn`t look like it was fired that much. I can`t believe all this wear. I might be looking at a new trigger,& hammer strut! I sure hope that if something is worn,that it be the trigger , & not the boss in the frame. I guess it would be called a boss. Again, just in case i need to get some parts, where`s a good place to look, Popperts? Boy Am I disappointed with this purchase. I guess beauty is really skin deep!

Last edited by chasgrips45; August 29, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old August 31, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
chasgrips45

Question, I`ve brought this old Colt to another Smithy in town. He says that , there is some lateral play in the trigger,"but go ahead & shoot it anyway." Well I don`t want to shoot in anyway! If there is wear in the trigger area would the actual trigger mounting hole tend to wear first,or would the trigger post wear first ? I know this is a pretty vague question. It would seem that the material on the post is of a stronger piece of steel ,or steel alloy ,than the actual material on the inside of the trigger hole. I would buy another trigger, however I don`t think it`s worth the expense to put a new trigger post in the gun. This question can really only be answered by someone with a lot of experience with the Trooper. One last observation,When i took the gun apart,I noticed that the hammer strut was actually chattering over the back of the trigger where it makes contact. After oiling the chatter , seemed to get better ,but not much.
Old August 31, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Scorch

Is this a Trooper or a Trooper Mk III or Mk V?
Old August 31, 2012, 01:23 PM   #6
chasgrips45

No Scorch, it`s a Mark III. Coil spring