The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old June 14, 2007, 11:16 PM   #1
MDman

Progressive press

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=566516

What is the feeling about this press, and how bad would it be for a begginer to star with it?
Old June 14, 2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Mr Beta

I personally don't have any experience with this press. I have a few pro 1000s by lee and they work great. You'll get people on both sides of the fence and some people asking you why you're considering anything but Dillon.
To each their own but I know that several people on this board use one and have good experience with it.
Old June 14, 2007, 11:48 PM   #3
teombe

I've heard Lee progressives are difficult to set up. Not for novices at all.

Go with Hornady or Dillon.

Better yet, buy a cheap single stage.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:06 AM   #4
870pilot

i'm really enjoying my lee classic turret... you can run it as a single stage and when you get up to speed with reloading, insert the index rod and advance your way along the process... check it out! best deals on lee kits are from kemph gun shop online
Old June 15, 2007, 08:23 AM   #5
benedict1

I started with the Lee Classic Turret Press last year--it is an auto-indexing turret press and it is possible to comfortably turn out 200 rounds per hour once you organize your components and get the routine down. The best deal, as noted is here, because you get dies with the kit--

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp

3 months later, after I had learned the solid basics of reloading I got my Load Master--I load 9 mm and .45 ACP with it. For the money, it is the best progressive to buy--I would not buy it first though if you are unfamiliar with reloading.

Contrary to what some will say, it is easy to set up, operate and maintain. There are numerous instructional video tapes on You Tube and at the Lee website to show you how to do this. Rather, if you are new to reloading you can get yourself in trouble by just not paying attention to things like unsuitable brass in the case feeder, e.g., AMERC is junk and causes trouble, you run out of primers and don't notice it; you inadvertently short stroke the press and jam the shell plate. You need to make positive strokes.

The Load Master must be kept clean, especially the priming mechanism. No grease or oil to gunk it up.

If I were you, I would get the Classic Turret Press and after learning and loading, then evaluate the merits of all the well-known progessives, with the Load Master being the most economical to own. Lee has an excellent guarantee too; don't be fooled by expensive, "lifetime" guarantees at other places. They are lifetime alright, but you pay a lot upfront for them.
Old June 15, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6
cheygriz

Do yourself a favor and buy a Dillon, RCBS or Hornady. Quality doesn't cost, it pays!
Old June 15, 2007, 01:19 PM   #7
Scorch

I have read mixed reviews about the Lee Loadmaster. I use a Lee Pro 1000, and it is a good quality press that turns out great ammo. Lee progressive presses are generally easy to use, and come set up and ready to go, so there is virtually no learning curve. If the price is right, I feel it would be a good press.

I would agree that a Lee Classic Turret is also a good way to go. You can set it up as a single-stage, then use it as a progressive press when you get the hang of what you are doing.
Old June 15, 2007, 02:16 PM   #8
314EPW

Lee Pro 1000

I got the 1000.It was a money issue with me,I,m disabled and don't have much.I shoot about 100 rounds a week.So this is plenty of press for me.Not easy to set up if you have never reloaded before,but it still is fun!You can start off doing single rounds,then go full bore.The powder measure is very accurate.I now do about 100 rounds an hour taking my time.
Ed
Old June 17, 2007, 09:29 PM   #9
swmike

I will be adding this press to my bench next month. I've used the Lee Progressive for over 25 years with no problems other than the one's I caused myself. If you read and follow the instructions with the LEE Loadmaster, you will have no issues. If you get impatient and skip any of the instructions it will 'bite' you.

Yes, you can buy a dillon. The Dillon press with the same features will cost you about 2.5 times as much. The choice is yours. The finished ammo will look the same.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old June 22, 2007, 08:13 AM   #10
Linear Thinker

Do yourself a favor and buy a Dillon. Lee makes good equipment, and 10 years of using a Lee turret and 5 years of Load-master use taught me a great deal about progressive reloading.

However:
1. Lee's customer service is non-existent. If something breaks, you will be paying for the part when out of warranty, and you will be paying shipping both ways.

2. Dillon service is outstanding. If something breaks, you
will have a new part in a couple of days, gratis. They replaced a worn powder measure actuator on my 20-year-old powder measure with a brand-new assembly, latest model.

3. Dillon presses are far less finicky, once adjusted, they just run.

4. Lee turret press uses nylon ratchets that wear out quickly. Lee Load-master you are considering uses a cam and gravity push rod to rotate the shellplate, I could never get mine to run reliably, even after 2 trips to the factory (at my expense).

5. Dillon primer feed is far more reliable. I gave up on Lee's primer feeder after too many unprimed rounds and started priming by hand.

My 2 cents, there are lots of loyal Lee users. As a matter of fact, I prefer Lee dies to Dillon's. Lee's FCD is the best thing since sliced Camembert.

If you want some entertaining Lee-vs-Dillon discussions, you won't have too search for long on this forum.

LT

Last edited by Linear Thinker; June 22, 2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old June 22, 2007, 08:18 AM   #11
Voyager AL

I have a few Lee's, 1 being a Pro 1000. Its GREAT. BUT, I also have an old Dillon 450, that is way easier to use, and no problems at all. I still buy Lee products, cause I cant afford another Dillon. BUT, if I had the money, i would buy a Dillon 550. That being said,ya cant beat the Lee Pro 1000 for the money!
Old June 22, 2007, 09:33 AM   #12
Jart

I noticed on another forum that the Lee dumps spent primers into the base without an obvious means of removing them apart from unbolting the press.

Not a big deal - lots of solutions if you know about the issue beforehand.
Old June 22, 2007, 09:41 AM   #13
MDman

Quote:
I noticed on another forum that the Lee dumps spent primers into the base without an obvious means of removing them apart from unbolting the press.

Not a big deal - lots of solutions if you know about the issue beforehand.
There is a little flap on the bottom you open to let them out...I guess I should mention at this point I went ahead and got the press. So right now I am making a bench and learning allot about reloading. Anyone suggest some good books on the subject? I am thinking I might take a class too.
Old June 22, 2007, 10:07 AM   #14
benedict1

these videos will help you set up your LM

*-Setting up a Load Master Part 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFprUSI7WuM
*-Setting up a Load Master Part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCnWhkJSUQs
*-Lee Load Master Priming and Tips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkl8HRqVZuc
Load Master Indexing and Troubleshooting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLtJOzROVWY
Separate depriming and resizing on a Load Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNspj-BycM0

there are also videos at Lee website
Old June 22, 2007, 08:07 PM   #15
klw

Lee

Had one of these Lee presses. I thought that it was hard to set up and hard to keep operational. Would NOT recommend it.
Old June 23, 2007, 11:03 PM   #16
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Done

Question answered, decision taken.

Closed

Johnny
Closed Thread