The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2007, 09:31 AM   #1
jabb0r

A few questions...

My reloading stuff came in last night, and I was able to make my first few rounds. I ordered the Lee Turret kit. Setting it up was a bitch, but once it was going, I was really suprised by the simplicity. The recipe I used was

10.1 grains Accurate #7
Win small pistol primer
Ranier .40 S&W 135 Grain JHP
COL 1.125

I'll be firing this through an XD-40. I had a few questions I wanted to ask before I took the brave step of actually firing.

1. My first few rounds were a little short. What affect would this likely have? I put a magazine full of these rounds in my gun and then manually operated the slide. Each round chambered and was ejected without a problem. Are these rounds dangerous?

2. I crimped all of the rounds I made, but it seems crimping is optional? Looking at my factory ammo, I don't see a crimp. What affect will this have?

3. I was using some once-fired brass from my last range trip. I didn't do any cleaning step (haven't gotten my tumbler yet), although I did visually inspect each cartridge to make sure there was nothing inside and there were no ruptures. What cleaning steps do most people take?

4. Any general tips on firing that first round?

Thanks.

Last edited by jabb0r; May 2, 2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Corrected powder #
Old May 2, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2
veeref

For 10.1 gr, I hope you're shooting around 135gr bullets.

Quote:
1. My first few rounds were a little short. What affect would this likely have? I put a magazine full of these rounds in my gun and then manually operated the slide. Each round chambered and was ejected without a problem. Are these rounds dangerous?
Be VERY CAREFUL with OAL in the 40S&W round. What loading manuals have you read? From what I've read - reducing OAL/reducing loading cavity can increase internal pressures. The 40S&W round is a very high pressure round to begin with. I don't know how short "a little short" is, can you elaborate? If you're like 1.123 or 1.120 or so, you'll probably be okay, but anything significantly less and your pressure can skyrocket.

Quote:
2. I crimped all of the rounds I made, but it seems crimping is optional? Looking at my factory ammo, I don't see a crimp. What affect will this have?
I think most rounds have a slight taper crimp where the bullet seats in the casing, but I could be wrong. The FCD (if you're using the LEE dies), will supposedly add reliability in feeding in some guns and will hold the bullet firmly in place. More experiences guys should be able to chime in on this one.

Quote:
3. I was using some once-fired brass from my last range trip. I didn't do any cleaning step (haven't gotten my tumbler yet), although I did visually inspect each cartridge to make sure there was nothing inside and there were no ruptures. What cleaning steps do most people take?
I just bought a tumbler a couple of days ago, but before that I would just throw it in some Birchwood Casey solution, and let it air dry.

Quote:
4. Any general tips on firing that first round?
As long as you triple-check all your load data, just go out there, load one bullet in your magazine, and shoot it. I was scared $#$%#$less when I shot my first reload, but after you do it, there's very few other feeling in the world like it.

Good luck!
Old May 2, 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
jabb0r

Quote:
For 10.1 gr, I hope you're shooting around 135gr bullets.
Yes, I'm using 135gr bullets.

Quote:
Be VERY CAREFUL with OAL in the 40S&W round. What loading manuals have you read? From what I've read - reducing OAL/reducing loading cavity can increase internal pressures. The 40S&W round is a very high pressure round to begin with. I don't know how short "a little short" is, can you elaborate? If you're like 1.123 or 1.120 or so, you'll probably be okay, but anything significantly less and your pressure can skyrocket.
Wow, I didn't realize the length was so important. I think one or two of them may be 1.100 or so. Now that I've got the dies adjusted, I think I'll just redo all of them. Better safe than sorry.

Quote:
As long as you triple-check all your load data, just go out there, load one bullet in your magazine, and shoot it. I was scared $#$%#$less when I shot my first reload, but after you do it, there's very few other feeling in the world like it.
I thought you might say that. Thanks!
Old May 2, 2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Shoney

It's always best to convince your wife that she has the honor of firing these first rounds, especially if you are not getting along.

My wife would kill me if she read this, Just Kidding Dear!!!

First! The load you list is a starting load

The Minimum OAL is usually listed at 1.105 - Alliant Data. So if you are not shorter than this, there will be no noticable effect, with your minimum load. Follow OAL in recipe in the future.

If the crimp is biting into the bullet, it is a definite over crimp, and at max loads could be a problem. Overcrimping usually produces poor accuracy. Adjust your crimp die with a sized case that has not been belled. Allow the die to just touch the brass, then gradually turn it down, as you seat bullets, until you cannot set the bullet back by pushing it against your bench.

You dont need to tumble brass straight wall pistol brass, but it must be clean and free and free of grit.

You will be extatic after the initial firing!!!!!!!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111