The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 14, 2002, 11:16 PM   #1
eyeballz

Fighting Knives

Anyone here carry or train with knives? Whats your favorite?
Folders or fixed blades?

EBZ
Old August 15, 2002, 12:27 AM   #2
ahenry

I always have a knife with me, but I would rather protect myself and others with my Colt.

Be that as it may, I like my Cuda Maxx along with a less “intimidating” knife that I can use for everyday chores. At least for now.
Old August 15, 2002, 08:58 AM   #3
nascarnhlnra

My current favorites that I own are my Next Generation Ka-Bar, Buck Vanguard ( great gen purpose knife), Columbia River Kasper Pro Folder.
Old August 15, 2002, 09:56 AM   #4
Betty

I always carry a knife (or two or more) on me. They are excellent for utility purposes and for defensive backup. I've "learned a few moves" from various sources, but I don't consider myself trained in knife fighting. I'd rather NOT get into a knife fight. Yeech!

For defensive purposes, I like to carry my fixed blades - a MOD Razorback or TOPS UTE. Fixed blades deploy faster than most folders, but they can be harder to conceal. Most of the time a fixed blade prints badly on me, so I carry my MOD Ladyhawk (looks like a little claw) or my new MOD Hornet.

For the great outdoors, I strap on my Cold Steel Recon Tanto.
Old August 15, 2002, 10:07 AM   #5
Litlman

Knives!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE them, Got one on me at all times. Gerber, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, and CRKT. All sizes for all situations. Most carried at this time, CRKT Mirage.

Litlman....................................................
Old August 15, 2002, 10:24 AM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Ususally have an Emerson Commander in my right pocket and an older Sebenza in my left, but it varies now and again. They're great for tactically slitting the plastic film on microwave entrees.
Old August 15, 2002, 10:35 AM   #7
Christopher II

Gah! Knife fighting is one of the things I really hate. Probably because I hate blood loss, hospital visits, stitches, and permament injury.

That said, knives are just too useful to not have. I usually carry an old Spyderco Military or a CRKT M16 folder, and a Leatherman Wave. And a Leatherman Micra on my keychain. Sometimes I carry an old Lapland Pukko or a pre-production Busse Killer-B, when dress allows a fixed blade. I'm still looking for a good solid fixed blade that I can carry every day.

My outdoors knife is a Mad Dog ATAK, backed up with a small folder. I really like Mad Dog knives, and plan to buy more in the future (i.e. when I have some more cash handy.)

I've had some Taijitsu and some stick-and-knife training, but I'm not well-trained by any means. In a fight, it's going to be something along the lines of Cut! Cut! Run Away!

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old August 15, 2002, 10:42 AM   #8
KK20

AMOK!

i carry emerson commander everyday. sometimes grande vaquero.

i took a class by prof tom sotis and never go without a blade.

Last edited by KK20; August 15, 2002 at 11:49 AM.
Old August 15, 2002, 11:37 AM   #9
Coronach

I usually have one or two on me. They would have a defensive purpose, mostly weapon retention, as a backup to my sidearm. Mostly, however, they're used for more mundane tasks, like cutting things.

I have:

REKAT Talonite Carnovour- the knife is just too cool for words.

Benchmade AFCK in M2HSS- I like evything about it but the liner lock.

Benchmade AFCK II in D2 with Axis lock- solves the only problem of the original.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old August 15, 2002, 11:39 AM   #10
Coronach

Oh yeah, and there ain't no way I consider myself trained in knife fighting. I know just enough to get me filleted in a knife fight, so the only time I'm pulling one is if I'm in a wrestling match and I can't get to my gun.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old August 15, 2002, 07:38 PM   #11
foghornl

My favorite edged weapon???

The M-6 Bayonet fixed to business end of my M-1
Old August 15, 2002, 09:16 PM   #12
mdlowry

I agree with Chris. I don't look at a knife as a weapon.

I do carry a knife (or two) with me though for all the other things I cut durring the day. I've got a very nice Dozier personal. It's a 3" fixed blade that rides on my belt crossdraw.
Old August 16, 2002, 04:10 PM   #13
gryphon

I've trained with knives, and in my opinion, a fixed blade is best. However a fixed blade is not always an option, so anything that I can get with a 3 inch blade or longer would suit me fine.

Right now, I carry a Banchmade Stryker 910 Tanto blade.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:36 PM   #14
Sylvilagus Aquaticus

hey y'all...

I carry a Benchmade automatic. Don't know the actual model number, but it's the "Ranger" knife with the blasted blade and half-serrations. Got it as a birthday present years ago from a friend with the US Marshal's office.

Been cut before. Cut others before. Prefer the Indiana Jones method. Shoot the bastard from 40 feet away while he's swinging his shiv menacingly in the empty air.

Regards,
Sylvilagus.
Old August 16, 2002, 07:28 PM   #15
LBC

a knife is a weapon. believe me.

benchmade afck (folder), cuda cqb2 (fixed). good options.
Old August 17, 2002, 12:41 AM   #16
goodcatjack

saw this on a (CRKT?) sticker once, at a gun show:

"All God's creatures got knives."

I thought that was as funny as it was charming as it was true.

I usually carry a CRKT folder of some type.

-alex.
Old August 17, 2002, 02:20 AM   #17
Coronach

Close- Its Spyderco:

"All of God's Creatures have knives."

Spyderco makes very decent stuff for not much money.

Mike

Old August 17, 2002, 03:11 AM   #18
mons-meg

de-lurking for a moment

I go everywhere with my Al-Mar Eagle Ultralight. 4" blade, opens with a flick of the wrist into a nice reverse grip for the stay-the-hell-off-me Kali maneuvers. Oh, and the reversible pocket clip is a nice feature.

Of course, I am also a sizable fellow...anyone remember that Far Side cartoon where the two guys are out on safari and they spot the elephant with the switchblade? "look out, this one's got a knife". Guess you had to be there...

J
Old August 17, 2002, 08:58 AM   #19
mons-meg

de-lurking for a moment

I go everywhere with my Al-Mar Eagle Ultralight. 4" blade, opens with a flick of the wrist into a nice reverse grip for the stay-the-hell-off-me Kali maneuvers. Oh, and the reversible pocket clip is a nice feature.

Of course, I am also a sizable fellow...anyone remember that Far Side cartoon where the two guys are out on safari and they spot the elephant with the switchblade? "look out, this one's got a knife". Guess you had to be there...

J
Old August 17, 2002, 10:24 AM   #20
Hard Ball

Like Tamara I a,most always have an Emerson Commander in my right pocket. As Ernie Emerson says "They are the best hard (and serious) use Folding knives in the world."
After examing mine my wife ordered one and almost always has it with her. Emerson is coming out with a fixed blade fighter this month, I am looking forward to examining it.
Old August 17, 2002, 11:12 AM   #21
loandr.

Carry a scimitar from coldsteel... a real sleeper. this blade it great
carrys real low on the waist line as well. nastiest thing with the "reverse grip" since the Hobbit. :-) check it out
loandr.
Old August 18, 2002, 12:37 PM   #22
medusaoblongata

I usually carry four knives. If I lived in a CCW state I might cut it down to two or three. Would never go anywhere without one.
Old August 19, 2002, 09:37 PM   #23
Chief Jones

Usually carry a Gerber Easy-Out clipped to right front pocket. Carry a Case Yellow-handle Stockman to work in cabinet shop & to church.
Old August 22, 2002, 02:57 PM   #24
tfljlc

The knife is not as important as the training. I've been to Emerson's training and highly recommend it. It gets to the point - more martial, less art. Grappling included!

That being said I carry an Emerson with the "wave" because of its quick deployment. BTW this was chosen before I attended his class.
Old August 22, 2002, 03:51 PM   #25
eyeballz

Thanks for all the info. I settled for the "Buck NightHawk" fixed blade its a very nice knife. I paid a friend $40 for it. He bought some type of Emerson and didnt need the Buck anymore. Good for me. Keep 'EM coming if you like.

EBZ