The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 28, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
val567

Question about Speedloaders for revolvers

Question about speed-loaders for revolvers. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Refer to the picture for a view of a standard revolver speedloader.

I have a revolver that has only 5 shots. Yes I plan to practice more, but when someone breaks into my house at 4AM, it is dark, I just woke up, am groggy, scared, shaking, and they are trying to move / dodge, quite frankly I don't trust myself enough that 5 shots will do the trick to make contact.

The argument could be made that if the assaulter is not either 1) on the floor, or 2) running by the end of the 5th shot, they are a fool, but I would really prefer not to rely on that, especially if the scenario involves the assaulter being on drugs downtown or something.

Therefore, I need a way to get more ammo into that arm as fast as possible if I run out. I could have a pocket full of bullets and load them into the revolver 1-2 at a time taking up precious seconds, or use one of those speed loaders.

Here is my problem though: Honestly, those speed loaders for revolvers aren't a really great solution. I mean consider that they are still going to sit, uncomfortably, heavily in your pocket at random angles like some weirdly shaped rock, scraping into your phone or whatever else you have in there, getting lead on stuff, wearing out your pocket faster, and if you need them, you are going to have to dig past everything else first.

If it takes me as long to get to my bullets as it takes me to get to my keys sometimes, I could be dead!

After over 100 years of revolvers, do we REALLY not have a better solution that is good for MAINTAINING CONCEALMENT on a revolver (read as bullets NOT being attached to your belt or clearly visible) while offering a more ideal quick reloading solution than hauling around these uncomforable / hard to reach things in our pockets?

Please, if you know of a better solution, let me know because I need it!

PS. Please don't say, "Buy a semi automatic autoloader, then you can have 15 or so shots." I would really prefer to stay with the revolver if at all possible for a variety of other perfectly legitimate reasons.

Last edited by val567; June 28, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old June 28, 2013, 05:01 PM   #2
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by val567

Here is my problem though: Honestly, those speed loaders for revolvers aren't a really great solution. I mean consider that they are still going to sit, uncomfortably, heavily in your pocket at random angles like some weirdly shaped rock, scraping into your phone or whatever else you have in there, getting lead on stuff, wearing out your pocket faster, and if you need them, you are going to have to dig past everything else first.

If it takes me as long to get to my bullets as it takes me to get to my keys sometimes, I could be dead!

IMHO:

1) You need to segregate the contents of your pocket(s), so the speedloader(s) don't get fouled - or buy/use a dedicated speedloader carrier.

2) You really need more practice.

Old June 28, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I don't trust myself enough that 5 shots will do the trick to make contact.
Practice. If you can't get the majority of 5 rounds on a man sized target at 3-5 yards, practice.

Quote:
Practice. I don't know where you're keeping your keys that makes it so difficult to retrieve them. But I wouldn't recommend putting your ammo in that same place.

Petah is absolutely correct. Your weapon and reloads are a lot more important than the rest of the flotsum taking up space in your pocket. enough.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 28, 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Here is my problem though: Honestly, those speed loaders for revolvers aren't a really great solution. I mean consider that they are still going to sit, uncomfortably, heavily in your pocket at random angles like some weirdly shaped rock,
Get a carrier for the speedloaders. Or speed strips.

Quote:
Well, that is the downside, isn't it? Nothing's fast. I don't see much way around it except either diligent practice, or loading via moonclip (which still has the storage issue).

BTW, I'm going to be looking into the Safariland speedloader for my snubs. Just, something that looks potentially a hair faster than the HKS speedloader.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; June 29, 2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old June 28, 2013, 06:43 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Speed loaders are not the best answer to rapid reloading of a revolver; they are just the best I know of. If there is something better, I don't know of it. Some folks like speed strips and I used to carry five .38 Specials in a modified Model 1903 clip, but both require two hands or some tricky work.

Jim
Old June 28, 2013, 06:45 PM   #6
overkill0084

Honestly, a higher capacity firearm would be the best choice. For fumbling around your house at 0300, IMHO, you would be better served by an inexpensive pump shotgun.
I've been known to keep more than one firearm handy at times in the bedroom. A carbine, a handgun or two and a shotgun. If you're dead set on a revolver, find an 8 shot S&W. Of course moon clips pose similar challenges to speedloaders. In fact they are more susceptible to damage from rough handling.
If you can't or won't upgrade to higher capacity, practice reloading with those speedloaders until you can do it without thinking about it.
Make sure the ammo you choose isn't going to complicate matters. Ammo with a rounded profile will feed more smoothly than my SWC reloads. Most SD ammo these days should be ok, but some may work better than others in your gun.
Also, when I carry my 5 shot snubbie, the speedloader(s) reside(s) by itself (themselves) in a de-linted pocket.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old June 28, 2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Barney1023

+1 for speed strips. I carry a 637 and the speed loaders will work but don't go in straight and I even put some slim wood grips on that give more clearance than the factory rubber grips. I keep two strips in my pocket loaded with five each. They lay nice and flat and are easier for me to get out than a round speed loader is. Just my 2 cents.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Pezo

I'd say practice. Those first five shots will go somewhere if not on the intended target. Where will they go if your shooting incoherently? Adding a higher capacity weapon won't solve the stray bullets flying everywhere because your half a sleep and scared issue. It may make it worse. With practice I've got the hks speedloader thing down to second nature. Speed strips give you the option to get at least two extra shots in the cylinder quicker than reloading all five. There are also different variants of speedloaders available like safariland. Or perhaps having the weapon fitted for moon clips by a custom shop. A little priced but may be what you want.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:23 PM   #9
colbad

In that my underwear does not have any pockets, I admit that I also would be at a disadvantage reloading a revolver in a firefight at 0400

However, I often carry my Smith 642 in my pants pocket. I found a speed strip works great to have additional ammo that is organized and lies flat in my pocket. If I have a jacket or vest on a speed loader in the pocket is no big deal. As previously stated, if you are going to pocket carry a FA or ammo, you need to dedicate those pockets to those things only. You will be surprised how fast you can get with speed strips. Nyclad bullets by Federal .38+P are coated and do not have the same issues as other exposed bullet tips.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:38 PM   #10
SDC

If you don't like speedloaders, a better option for you might be moonclips; you can get standard revolvers' cylinders machined to accept moonclips, so you drop in the whole package at once, no fumbling involved, and they are the FASTEST reload on a revolver. This doesn't really change your "bulkiness" complaint, but that's a necessary evil with revolvers, unless you want to go to single rounds or 2 at a time speed-strips. Check out http://www.tkcustom.com/ for an idea of what moonclips can do.
Old June 28, 2013, 09:01 PM   #11
DennRN

OR...
You can do what some professionals do and carry a New York Reload otherwise known as a back-up gun or BUG.

Having a BUG strapped to your ankle or in deeper cover provides not only the fastest reload you can get for your revolver, but also provides you with a second option if you lose or otherwise can't use your primary.

If it's good enough for the professionals it's probably good enough for us civilians.

-Dennis
Old June 28, 2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Carmady

I realize this is the revolver forum, but if you want a quick emergency reload you could grab one of these instead of a speed loader/strip.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=349337397
Old June 28, 2013, 09:14 PM   #13
engineer88

For one thing as others have stated, speed strips are easy to carry, but not as fast as HKS and other speed loaders. I would HIGHLY recommend the following:

Put a laser grip on your five shooter and train with it on moving targets.
Put some glow in the dark sight paint on the sights (I get mine from glow inc online, orange and green) and train to shoot with front sight press drills.
Carry a backup gun if you need to be comfortable or if at home, have a shotgun or long gun handy.

I personally pocket carry a smith 638 with Lg405 crimson trace laser on it. The sights are painted with day glow green and orange to contrast and I do keep a double speed loader leather pouch on my left hand side. 38+P in one and shot shell in the other. I keep a double pouch setup the same way in the night stand and the car just to be redundant. :-)

Of course most days I leave the yard there is a Glock 26 or SP101 on my hip as well. But that makes me feel comfy. A NY reload is the next fastest thing to just going all out and carrying high cap. In some way a backup gun is better depending on where you keep them and what the positioning of your body is. Like pocket carry and sitting down not working so well.

By the way, tons of practice is always the solution but ammo ain't cheap, we get it. ;-)
Old June 28, 2013, 11:30 PM   #14
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by val567
Question about speed-loaders for revolvers. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

I have a revolver that has only 5 shots. Yes I plan to practice more, but when someone breaks into my house at 4AM, it is dark, I just woke up, am groggy, scared, shaking, and they are trying to move / dodge, quite frankly I don't trust myself enough that 5 shots will do the trick to make contact.

The argument could be made that if the assaulter is not either 1) on the floor, or 2) running by the end of the 5th shot, they are a fool, but I would really prefer not to rely on that, especially if the scenario involves the assaulter being on drugs downtown or something.

Therefore, I need a way to get more ammo into that arm as fast as possible if I run out. I could have a pocket full of bullets and load them into the revolver 1-2 at a time taking up precious seconds, or use one of those speed loaders.

After over 100 years of revolvers, do we REALLY not have a better solution that is good for MAINTAINING CONCEALMENT on a revolver (read as bullets NOT being attached to your belt or clearly visible) while offering a more ideal quick reloading solution than hauling around these uncomforable / hard to reach things in our pockets?
Please, if you know of a better solution, let me know because I need it!

PS. Please don't say, "Buy a semi automatic autoloader, then you can have 15 or so shots." I would really prefer to stay with the revolver if at all possible for a variety of other perfectly legitimate reasons.
In short, no.

Speed strips are more concealable, but take more time to use. You have stumbled onto the primary impetus for the surge in popularity of the semi-automatic. Revolvers are not speed reloading weapons. It's like asking a Schwinn to be a Harley or a hammer to be a screwdriver- that's not how they are made. With practice, you can definitely get significantly faster, but the same can be said for semi-autos.

That said, I love a good revolver, and prefer them (paired with a shotgun) for home defense, which is what the beginning of your post. Personally, my wife keeps a S&W Model 19 at the bedside (opposite the door) so she can fire towards an intruder, then duck behind the bed for cover to reload.

For CC, however, you are at the mercy of your attire. For most, this makes speed strips the item of choice, with some people sneaking in speed loaders in cell phone cases. When I CC'd a revolver, I kept two speed strips in my back pocket.

In short, guns are tools. You have to pick the right tool for your situation, taking into account your needs, skills, and experience.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:27 AM   #15
dahermit

There are only two solutions for reloading a revolver. Two, only two. You have to accept that when using a revolver for self-defense. You either have to learn to use a speed loader or, as Wild Bill did, go to a "New York Reload" and use two revolvers.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:51 AM   #16
g.willikers

What kind of situation are you envisioning that would require more than the five rounds in your revolver?
or
Allow you the time to reload a revolver in the dark?
If you are not confident having a five shot revolver, maybe a higher capacity gun is the answer.
Old June 29, 2013, 11:10 AM   #17
dahermit

Quote:
What kind of situation are you envisioning that would require more than the five rounds in your revolver?
I felt that more than five was unnecessary (I pocket carry a five-shot snubbie), until some months ago, I read an account of about 14 attackers harassing/robbing people on a city bus. If they all run, or are not armed, five shots should be enough. However, if they did not all run, or some were armed, a "plan B", just might be warranted.
Old June 29, 2013, 11:33 AM   #18
val567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezo

Those first five shots will go somewhere if not on the intended target. Where will they go if your shooting incoherently? Adding a higher capacity weapon won't solve the stray bullets flying everywhere because your half a sleep and scared issue. It may make it worse.
OP here.

This is a really strong point. Bigger ammo capacity does not give a person the excuse to mess up and maybe hit an unintended person behind the real target.

The 5 shots only enforces that I need to be careful for another reason as well.

Also, thank you for the suggestions so far.

1. Practice more. Yes I am already in that process.

2. Get a laser sight for the gun if I am that bad. An expensive option, but a good one.

I like how those allow me to do more with the rounds I have rather than just throwing more.

3. Moonclips? I am always afraid I am going to bend or break a moonclip, or it will wear out too fast. Also sits awkward in a pocket like a speedloader. Still, I can't see any option faster than speedloaders / moonclips if we are talking purely about the action of reloading a revolver. Is there some way to rig up a speedloader pouch backwards so it is on the inside of the belt, and have it still be comfortable and concealable?

4. Get a shotgun if we are talking about home defense. Very valid.

5. Carry 2 pistols. Yep. Makes the conceal thing a bit harder, but it's an option.

6. Speedstrips? I don't like how you can only load about 2 at a time. I can do that with my thumb. I do like how it lines them all up though. Makes the storage easier.

7. Semiauto, clip-fed autoloader? As I mentioned, I want to stick with a revolver for a whole host of other reasons. Certainly a good option for most people though.

8. Higher ammo capacity revolver? I like that idea a lot. It was actually my desired solution at first, but I would likely have to sacrifice caliber size for more ammo. Then the caliber would be so low I can't put down an attacking bear with a 5 shot .357 mag load from nothing more than my conceal and carry gear! (haha) Wanted to make a few people facepalm there. There is something to be said for a concealable all-purpose firearm though. A .357 mag can also throw .38 specials and .38 special +p, so it can be whatever you need.

Not willing to step down from .357? Sure they make an 8 shot .357 mag, ( http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y ) but it is expensive ($1269), not stainless steel, which I wanted for corrosion resistance, and the cylinder is getting too big for comfort while concealing more than 5 .357 rounds. The hammer might catch on the clothes too. Could get a shrouded hammer job done. That is even more money though. S&W's insistence on ECM rifling also prevents me from casting my own lead rounds and using them without fouling the barrel up extra quick too. Could just buy factory ammo, but it is expensive these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbad

In that my underwear does not have any pockets, I admit that I also would be at a disadvantage reloading a revolver in a firefight at 0400
Haha. Right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers

or
Allow you the time to reload a revolver in the dark?
To answer your question: Any situation, really, that involves my life on the line. That moment when your mind registers, "You are going to die in the next few moments unless you do something fast, make the right choice, and do it properly. Doing nothing also equals death. You have to be proactive." I've been in one before, and I know what an abundance of adrenaline and / or fear can do to the mind and body. No matter how much a person trains, for a lot of people, it is hard to keep a "cool" when it is for real. Especially the first few times. I hear it gets easier as you keep doing it. To be honest, I am afraid that even though I am ok at the range, when it comes to the moment that is really important, I will freak out, forget half my training, mess up and miss 5 times, or be shaking too much. Lack of confidence, quite frankly. I am also afraid that the adrenaline will make me forget how to reload efficiently even though I have done it 1000 times, and the time it will take me to reload is enough time to close the distance gap, and now the enemy is in my face.

I know that isn't the type of answer Clint Eastwood would say on a firearm forum. Not the type of truthful answer most "manly men" would like to admit to, but let's be honest, it happens to a lot of people, and is a very real problem. Having more rounds you can depend on being in place nearly instantly with next to zero thought, effort, or hindrance (something extremely intuitive) is always desirable.

Again, thank you for all the responses so far. I appreciate the thoughtful solution suggestions.

Last edited by val567; June 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old June 29, 2013, 11:19 PM   #19
engineer88

I meant no disrespect by offering the laser sight. Heck, I paid $269 for it and only $309 for the revolver itself, so I agree on the price tag comment. That said I believe it is useful enough to warrant the price tag. I certainly do not train exclusively with it, less than half the time. That said I could see it being extremely useful in the middle of the night, especially on a moving target or one half behind cover and most importantly if you are on the move.

I feel it is a supplementary tool that may just give you enough of an advantage. Also I like revolvers over semi automatics for a handful of reasons as well.

All the best with finding a solution to your issue.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

At one time, when I was shooting regularly and practicing a LOT, I could go last shot, speedloader reload, first shot in under 4 seconds.

That compares favorably with most people's magazine reloads in a semi-auto.

And I've seen people who are faster than that.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 30, 2013, 09:53 AM   #21
deepcreek

I would say first practice and practice more. I you can set your gun on the coffee table every evening and load and unload snap caps with the speed loaders. Load them left handed, right handed, siting, standing laying down, squatting, eye closed, etc.
Muscle memory take thousands of repetitions to build and ingrain.

5-357rds is pretty deadly 1 in the chest cavity is pretty life threatening.

Statistically most "shoot outs" are not really shoot outs. Most people will get the hell out of dodge when they start hearing gun shots. Not to really on that but the odds are that you will not really be exchanging tons of rds. Especially you you make them count and do not waste them.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:41 PM   #22
pete2

I sometimes carry a 642 or an LC9 . 5 in the 642, 7 in the LC. If there is more than 2 bad guys you're in too deep. I saw Matt Dillon take on 3 guys, 3rd guy shot Matt. No answer unless you carry something belt fed.
Old June 30, 2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Noreaster

It's your home you have the advantage. Play the home field advantages and use cover, concealment, corners, rooms, tactical use of lights... If you start throwing down lead your adversaries will most often take flight. If it's a dedicated home invasion team, ie you have high value items you're protecting, then use your revolver to fight your way to a rifle or shotgun.
Old June 30, 2013, 02:59 PM   #24
Skadoosh

Buy a handful of speed strips. Then practice loading two bullets at a time. Practice a lot.

Old July 1, 2013, 10:18 AM   #25
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Practice a lot.
This ^^^

No matter what reload method you use. Use more than one. Use them all. Practice them all.

Every operator/practitioner in the world who got good at their craft, shooters, dancers, body builders, all of them, got good by practicing.

Sgt Lumpy