The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2013, 05:26 PM   #26
Winchester_73

Many people here think they understand my opinion on Pythons, but its not that simple, really its not. They are nice, and are expensive compared to other 357 revolvers. They are very high in demand, but they are not rare either. I would like to have another Python, as an investment, and because I know joe blo down the street saves for months just to have one, when to me, they are far less interesting. I can understand why someone would want one.

Quote:
Part of me is having a hard time justifying dropping that much cash for one gun, when for the same price I could buy a used Ruger of Smith and Wesson .357, and still have money left over for a Beretta 92 fs inox and a Glock 19.
This is an interesting point. You could get a S&W 27, ANIB, and have money left over. Python prices are very high, and many people, even Colt guys, wonder if the "bubble" will burst. I am not convinced either way. They will not be made again, and that right there is very significant for their value. Are they the best DA revolver ever made? No, I don't think so. Are they great, are they in a "best of..." convo, yes they are, by many people's standards. Its possible that you may buy a bunch of other well regarded revolvers, and still want a Python. I've noticed that people who have several other well regarded revolvers, are less impressed with Pythons. I am in that crowd. Nothing wrong with them, but "Rolls Royce of revolvers" can be a stretch IMO.

Quote:
Where can I find one for less than that? I was looking for a 6”, preferably stainless or nickel plated, with wooden grips. They have been going for around $2000 on gunbroker, and I have not been able to find one anywhere in Jersey.
Well 6in barrels are very common, but SS is more valuable than nickel. Keep in mind that Colt still does refinishes on Pythons, and fake boxes are coming from China. There are also many types of Colt Python grip copies. Be careful when buying one that is said to be NIB as many are "restored" to this status due to their demand and value.

I think you got a lot of good opinions and good info in this thread. Here is a good piece:

Quote:
The Python is fantastic. It is also hideously expensive.

The early (pre-Mk III) Trooper and "357" are the same design without the heavy ribbed barrel. One of these can be found for maybe 1/3 of the Python tariff.

Just a thought...
Quote:
For shooting, I get the same experience from my 4 or 5" (below) Pre MKIII Official Police with target grips in .38S. The action is the same and with a bit of work (now hard to find a good Colt DA man) you can get the same trigger feel.
They both are right on in what they say. The MKIII Troopers were made as a way to cheapen the economy adjustable sight 357, aka trooper. The older ones have a lock work that is nearly the same as a Python. The Pre 1970 troopers and the scarce 357 model (Saxon Pigs photo) are fantastic. (For the record, I think MKIIIs were actually first made in 1969, but that's not important). I have a 1954 Colt model 357 and a 1954/55 38 special trooper. Both are fantastic in every way. They are much less money, but they're not really cheap either - the secret is out about their excellent quality.

Quote:
I think every serious revolver aficionado should have at least one Colt Python. I am but I don't-at least, not yet...
Maybe, but with what they're worth, why not sell high and buy a group of other great revolvers? I think thats the choice a revolver guy makes. Its the choice I made. But then again, mine was reblued, so it wasn't worth holding on to. Many great revolvers are far less than a Python. Buy a gun, not the hype.

Quote:
The only smith even in the same league is the registered magnum.
Actually, a RM is head and shoulders above a Python. They have ZERO reliability issues, better sights, better grips, and match or surpass the fit and finish, which is one of the big Pythons claim to fame - fit and finish. Ever notice how they cost much more than a Python? A S&W 27 is really just as good if not better, in a lot of ways. Of course if you want a vent rib on a revolver, than S&W won't help you.

I finally got a S&W pre 27 from 1951 last year. I think it pretty much puts an end to this "nothing is in the same class" stuff that you hear. The sights are great, feel is great, great trigger. They are also often much less than Pythons. Tell me again about that "royal" blue finish

Old March 7, 2013, 07:16 PM   #27
357 Python

I have 2 Pythons and love them. That being said I do not believe they are worth the prices that some seem to be getting. They are outstanding shooters but I can nearly duplicate the shots with my S&W 28-2 or my S&W 686-1. I carried revolvers for many years professionally (private security and police) and if I had to go back to revolvers I would arry my 4" S&W 686-1. This is not because it is better but is logisticlly sensible. The Python has been discontinued and the qulaified smiths who really know how to repair them are few and far between. Most competant smiths know the workings of a S&W revolver.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:58 PM   #28
Texascoonhunter

357 Mag

Have you given the Ruger GP100 any consideration ? It is also a really good handgun. One you can shoot and not worry about the dollar value declining by firing it. You may but I don't have the extra cash to buy something to just lay up and look at. I need something that I cannot use.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:26 AM   #29
sandbag

Tried Them All

I have a nickel 4" Python-I shoot it now and then,usually with 158 gr lead rounds.I don't use light,fast jacketed rounds in the Python or in my Model 19 Smith.The Python has delicate timing and its almost impossible to find someone competent to work on it.The 19 has a tendency to crack the forcing cone with too many 110 and 125 hot rounds over a long period.
I had a 586 and never liked it-strictly personal preference-it didn't "balance" right for me.
I also have a pre-28,a 28,and an early 27.They will handle anything and are fun to shoot.
I also have a Ruger GP100-it's an almost indestructible brute of a gun-not prone to breakdown.I never had a Ruger that was.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #30
Revolver1

Bud, who cares about your opinion on Pythons? The older ones are the finest DA revolvers made! The End.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:11 PM   #31
Winchester_73

Quote:
Bud, who cares about your opinion on Pythons? The older ones are the finest DA revolvers made! The End.
We could say the same thing about your opinion. I'm sure you're well versed in revolvers by your statements. Let me guess, your Python sits between a glock 19 and a Remington shotgun and a Kimber, and out of those, the Python is the best damn revolver ever made! Maybe go out and shoot or buy the revolvers I mentioned, you know, the ones you never heard of or owned. The same revolvers that I have and appreciate. When you own more than 3 revolvers, we will talk again! Catch you then.

Last edited by Winchester_73; March 8, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:32 PM   #32
Revolver1

I don't own any of the guns you mentioned. In fact my other favorite is an early M27. Regardless, opinions don't matter.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:41 PM   #33
Skans

My thought on Pythons - I own two. They are nicely made, good shooters and pretty to look at. I wouldn't pay more than $1,700 for one, because that's what I think they are worth in 98% condition.

When you start to get in the $2,500+ range, I'd rather have a gently used Korth .357, which IMHO, is nicer than a Python. The bottom line is that there are better and rarer .357's out there than Colt Pythons. At some point, you just have to realize there's a lot of "froth" in the price.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:36 PM   #34
Grant D

kenlondregan.....
You are right.....the Python is ONE of the most amazing .357 revolvers one can ever shoot.( there are others as people will testify)
I have always wanted one, and finaly found one at a gun show under a $1,000.00 and bought it.
I also would like to get a nice S&W Model 27, and a Korth, if I ever find one and I have the money.
So go ahead and fulfill your dream, and get one as I did.
And then dream about the next quest! lol
Old March 8, 2013, 04:01 PM   #35
dgludwig

Quote:
Regardless, opinions don't matter.
If you really believe this, why do you offer yours? And, when you do, why should anyone give you any heed? Or do you think it's just your opinion that matters?
Old March 8, 2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Bob Wright

I had a 6" blue Python many years ago. Put around 6,000 rounds through it before I traded it off. I traded for a Colt Single Action that had some sentimental value to me.

The first day I took my Python to sight in, I loaded my usual handloads into the thing and could not close the cylinder. The bullets protruded from the face of the cylinder! These were 173 gr. cast Keith bullets with a healthy dose of Hercules (then) #2400 powder, which I had been using in my Blackhawk with no problem. Later had the same problem with a Smith pre-Model 27. And the odd thing was, a Model 19 Smith digested these without a hitch. Didn't want a steady diet of these in a Model 19, though. So when the Model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum came out, I got hold of first one, then another, a 4" and a 6". After about 10,000 rounds through each, I've come to the conclusing the Model 586 is the best Double Action .357 Magnum to come along yet.

Bob Wright
Old March 8, 2013, 05:06 PM   #37
Netto

Colt Python

Look at the video below. It is a Korth revolver, considered by many to be the best revolver in the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ROYgLRifXA

I would like to ask a question to the other participants:

What was the revolver used as inspiration by Willi Korth to create this weapon?

The answer is simple: The Colt Python. And why is it?

Because nobody wants to rely on second place.

The python is arguably the definitive double-action revolver. He became the parameter by which all others are compared.

Or someone here will question the ability of Willi Korth?

Netto
Old March 8, 2013, 05:11 PM   #38
Bob Wright

In all due respect, I've never seen nor fired a Korth revolver.

Bob Wright
Old March 8, 2013, 05:45 PM   #39
dgludwig

I'll just say this, Bob-you won't find many thugs holding up convenience stores armed with Korth revolvers.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:11 PM   #40
Chirpy

.357 Colt Python question

I'll throw another vote for a Ruger GP-100. Get the trigger cleaned up and you'll still be a fraction of the price of a Python, and it'll put the same loads down range.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:19 PM   #41
Winchester_73

Let me get this straight

Quote:
I would like to ask a question to the other participants:

What was the revolver used as inspiration by Willi Korth to create this weapon?

The answer is simple: The Colt Python. And why is it?

The python is arguably the definitive double-action revolver. He became the parameter by which all others are compared.

Or someone here will question the ability of Willi Korth?
Ok, so let me get this straight - you are assuming (to the 1000th power) that Korth, intentionally styled his "masterpiece" revolver (hey, they look pretty nice, but I have no experience with them) on an American revolver with an obsolete action and a backwards cylinder release? Really? C'mon man!

Also, you wrongly assumed that someone would criticize Willi Korth (I think he's great) but instead, you ironically criticized him yourself. What could I mean by that? How did you do it? Well its because you accused him of basing his masterpiece DA revolver on some over rated fool's gold "zenith / God's own / Rolls Royce" revolver that failed to stay in production? There is no way that Willi Korth "stole" or copied anything from a Python. Why would he? How did he copy the Python? Don't give me the naive beginner answer of "well look, a vent rib and a lug - its a copy" - give me something substantial or maybe you need some revolver remediation.

The Korth gun has the Colt style sights, the side plate on the same side as a Colt, and it has the vent rib barrel with a full lug. I assume you think he copied the Python because his gun has a vent rib and a full lug (along with similiar sights). If you think that means he copied the Python, you apparently have no idea what you're talking about regarding any of this. He did not copy, intentionally or not, the Python. The lock work is different, his cylinder release is actually genius (in my opinion), and the sights really don't make a Python anyways, although I definitely prefer S&W sights. The side plate can only go on one side or the other. And the barrel rib, well hell, I guess some shotgun makers copy the Python, and so did High Standard with the Victor. The list goes on. They all copied the Python!

PS - you also picked out one specific Korth revolver, featured in that video, the Troja, but they make (and have made) plenty of other models. The gun in the video is not the only revolver made by Korth. But you knew all of that? Right?

Quote:
Funny how "second" place never went out of production, has a major following, and was never bested by "First" place in any kind of serious competition. Its obvious that S&W all along (probably since the 1930s or so anyway) had the better products, better leadership, better ideas, and a better company which is what it takes to survive, not gimmicks such as a vent rib on a revolver or a blue good enough for a Prince. None of that will you get anywhere by itself, and if you don't believe me, read up on the Python IE its discontinuation - that's the proof right there. It stopped selling because it didn't live up to the hype of today when it was brand new. The other "reasons" for the Python discontinuation don't add up and they never have.

When someone lives in a country with limited access to many firearms, of course their opinion will differ - how could that person gain the experience that someone in America can gain on firearms? Certainly the first hand experience would be very limited = one of the many reasons opinions can differ, on anything really, not just guns. Its only natural, for example, for a rookie in karate to have a different opinion than a black belt would, which is what makes that person a rookie and the black belt a black belt - a knowledge and experience difference.

In closing, I don't know if any of you like football, esp the NFL but there is a segment on ESPN known as "c'mon man" which usually features funny football clips, of plays or happenings, which should not have happened, for various reasons. Well when I see threads like this, where there is simply a bit too much crap posted in the thread, I think "c'mon man!" - just like the show.

Old March 8, 2013, 10:26 PM   #42
Netto

If Smith&Wesson has the best ideas, why does it constantly steal ideas from other manufacturers, like Glock, Colt and others?

If Smith&Wesson has the best products, why did it have never had a project successful semiautomatic service pistol, limited copying European projects, like Walther P99 or Glock?

And now...

If Smith & Wesson is a very successful company, why did it have constantly changed his landlord over the years :

Bangor Punta Corp.;
Lear Siegler Corp.;
Forstmann Little&Co.;
Tomkins Ltd.

Regarding the availability of firearms in my country, we will expect to finish the term of Barack Obama to have a final conclusion. Until then, I will continue to buy in Miami or Texas many products that most Americans citizens has no access, or even know they exist.

Netto

Last edited by Netto; March 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old March 9, 2013, 04:22 AM   #43
natman

Perhaps it's time to consider a less controversial topic:

Ford or Chevy?
Old March 10, 2013, 08:47 PM   #44
Dfariswheel

Perhaps it's time to consider a less controversial topic:

Ford or Chevy?

Ya ignorant savage...it's blond or brunette.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:06 PM   #45
Bob Wright

Well, I don't know if I should add more fuel to an already well stoked fire, but........

My opinion of a good revolver is its ability to put my bullets where I intend them to be, time and time again. And to handle a steady diet of my handloads.

Given this ability, nearly every handgun I've ever owned, with a few junkers I acquired over the years, has been capable of doing this. All else is frosting on the cake. Maybe so you prefer chocolate while someone else prefers coconut. To the one, chocolate is best, while to the other, coconut is best. And never will one convince the other.

Bob Wright
Old March 10, 2013, 10:52 PM   #46
SVO

Nah, it's wings or thighs...
Old March 11, 2013, 03:26 AM   #47
CajunBass

Quote:
If Smith & Wesson is a very successful company, why did it have constantly changed his landlord over the years :

Bangor Punta Corp.;
Lear Siegler Corp.;
Forstmann Little&Co.;
Tomkins Ltd.
Uhhhhh...because it IS a very successful company and makes money for those people who have spent money to purchase it over the years?
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 11, 2013, 06:54 AM   #48
Winchester_73

Quote:
Well, I don't know if I should add more fuel to an already well stoked fire, but........

My opinion of a good revolver is its ability to put my bullets where I intend them to be, time and time again. And to handle a steady diet of my handloads.

Given this ability, nearly every handgun I've ever owned, with a few junkers I acquired over the years, has been capable of doing this. All else is frosting on the cake. Maybe so you prefer chocolate while someone else prefers coconut. To the one, chocolate is best, while to the other, coconut is best. And never will one convince the other.
Bob is Wright! Get it? Anyways, he makes a good point. We don't all have to like the same things, and really, we are better off to all be different. I was going to post all of the things that S&W originated in response to "S&W borrowed many of their ideas" because believe me, for each thing they borrowed, they were copied 10x. However, there is no point though in posting that, since most everyone knows how much S&W has contributed to pistols and revolvers, and two, it keeps the fire burning.

Lets bury the hatchet fellas, and shoot our S&W 357s alongside the Pythons in peace.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:01 AM   #49
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester_73
Bob is Wright! Get it?
You mean you wanted to write that Bob Wright is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester_73
Lets bury the hatchet fellas, and shoot our S&W 357s alongside the Pythons in peace.
Amen!
Old March 11, 2013, 12:56 PM   #50
Skans

Quote:
.....All else is frosting on the cake.
Frosting is the best part of the cake! Anyone can make a steel clunker; only artists can skillfully take that clunker and finish it into a masterpiece.

I hope that no-one who actually owns a Korth (newer model) Revolver is arguing that it is second to a Python. Because, if that's the case, I have a Python I'd be willing to trade for for your 2nd-place Korth.