The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 1, 2012, 04:20 PM   #1
landlord

breaking in a new clip or magazine

does anyone know of a way to break in a new clip or mag with out shooting alot of ammo?
Old November 1, 2012, 04:36 PM   #2
10-96

True, some do get better with time and use, but if you get one that does not work at all when it's fresh out of the wrapper- it could be anybody's guess as to what will make the clip work properly.

And it's really OK if you just want to use the word clip- I think folks are finally coming around to the idea that: 1. Everybody knows what's being discussed. 2. So far nobody has been able to produce substantial evidence that they have deemed, appointed, elected, or annointed as a supreme speech police.

I think it a terrible thing to remove all traces of uniqueness from such a unique culture as we enjoy as Americans. Language, regional dialect, accents- who has the right to take that away and make everyone the same?

But anyway, if you end up with a clip that does not work well after a hundred or so rounds (and the thing is inexpensive by your standard) I guess one would have little to lose by fine filing or stoning of rough spots, swapping springs, or even turning the spring around in some cases.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Pistolgripshotty

Cycle rounds a few times then load the magazine to full capacity, and leave it that way for a week or so then you should be ready to go. (Sometimes the springs in magazines are kinda funny acting so be patient with them)
Old November 2, 2012, 07:40 AM   #4
BPowderkeg

Quote:
1. Everybody knows what's being discussed. 2. So far nobody has been able to produce substantial evidence that they have deemed, appointed, elected, or annointed as a supreme speech police.
personally i believe people who are interested in firearms NEED to learn proper nomenclature.., clip vs magazine are NOT interchangeable in their function, young and new shooters should be taught the proper usage of terminology.., clip and magazine are as different as hammer and trigger.

in my OPINION.., if one is too lazy and/or ignorant to learn proper nomenclature.., they should NOT be handling guns. once more.., just my OPINION.

no "clip" or "magazine" needs a "break in", just use them as intended. several months ago i bought 20 still in original wrappers VietNam era 20 round Colt magazines, i load them full and empty them, never a "magazine" malfunction.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Whooee, som'un got up on the wrong side of the bed, stubbed his toe and had to drink cold coffee this morning.

Dump the magazine in a can of fuel oil or oil and let it soak for a bit. Then grab something to use like a plunger and push down on the follower to make sure it isn't grabbing on the sides or hanging up anywhere. A few cycles should free up any glitches if there are any. Blow it out with a compressor and use a solvent like a can of spray carburetor cleaner to clean the oil out and you most likely will be good to go. If you still have problems time to open up the magazine for a closer look. Stiffness isn't a malfunction but sticking is and not being able top load the magazine to capacity is. Keep in mind some magazines are a bit optimistic on how many rounds they say you can load and will be a round short. Live with it if the the magazine is otherwise functional.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 2, 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
hardhat harry

Just for smiles:

Old November 2, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Woody55

I've only done two things to "break in" magazines.

We had to take apart M9 magazines and clean what must have been congealed preservative out of the inside to make them work right.

I had to leave SIG P226 magazines loaded for several weeks before the springs lightened up enough to where I could get all the rounds that it was supposed to hold in there without breaking a finger.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:39 AM   #8
moxie

Just clean, including the spring, with Hoppe's inside and out. Let dry. You can wipe with a silicone cloth if you want.

Re clip vs. mag. I prefer mag. I have a buddy who was a Marine M-60 gunner in Vietnam and got to use his 1911 extensively as well. He calls mags clips. I don't correct him.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old December 1, 2012, 07:56 PM   #9
427TriPowered

gretings yawl...

figered this were a good place to jump in sence were talking about cleps and all...

i gotts these 30 rounds pmags... can i feal them up with rounds ands leave thim that way with no adverce effects on the spring...
Old December 1, 2012, 08:06 PM   #10
djcantr

Magazines don't require a break in. When I get new mags I load them and stick them in the safe.

To the poster who asked about keeping pmags loaded, yes, you can. Load 'em up.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:33 PM   #11
kymarkh

Just load it and put it away.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:45 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

When I get new to me magazines I disassemble, clean and lube. Check for proper feeding and then consider it GTG.

Quote:
in my OPINION.., if one is too lazy and/or ignorant to learn proper nomenclature.., they should NOT be handling guns. once more.., just my OPINION.
+1

There is a difference.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:00 AM   #13
velocette

With every new magazine, I disassemble them, deburr the feed lips, deburr the front edge of the mag where the bullet moves past in feeding.
Then I inspect and deburr the follower, smoothing any rough edges or sharp points (or casting flash / sprue tag if its a molded follower) & treat it with a dry lubricant. The entire exterior and interior of the mag is cleaned & given a thin coat of dry lubricant. Re-assemble & GTG.
Doing this, has resulted in virtually never having any mag related problems.

Roger
Old December 2, 2012, 09:54 AM   #14
BLUETIP

If it ain't broke don't fix it goes a long way for most things. However, I always deburr anything rifle or mag related. It can't come back to bite you later if it's not there. Just my humble offering.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:41 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

After seventy-some years of hearing folks calling magazines clips, I've quit worrying about it. Life is too short to give a hoot about trivia. Picking fly-poop out of pepper is not a remunerative career choice.

And this is the first time I've ever heard anybody wonder about breaking in a mag. "Learn" something new, every day.

Old December 2, 2012, 02:26 PM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Y'all don't break in your clips way down there in the great country of Texas? I am shocked, just pure plumb befuddled shocked, that is all I can say, just shocked I tell ya.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 2, 2012, 02:30 PM   #17
tahunua001

I've never had to break in a magazine. either your magazine has a problem interfacing with the gun or it does not, repeated use should not fix that. as long is the magazine is properly lubed then there shouldn't be a need for breakin.

a clip is a simple 1 or 2 piece metal strip that allows for rapid reloading. they wear out with use....not the other way around.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:46 PM   #18
rickyrick

Ok the clip vs. magazine thing is just ridiculous.

If someone says clip along with a type of weapon that takes a magazine I AM SMART enough to know what they are talking about.

To the question at hand, if a magazine doesn't function properly and you have some basic mechanical ability, many can be tweaked and otherwise coerced into functioning.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
To the question at hand, if a magazine doesn't function properly and you have some basic mechanical ability, many can be tweaked and otherwise coerced into functioning
Yep, never had one that needed a break in period but plenty that developed or had mechanical problems and most of them were easy fixes. My oil soak, clean and run the follower up and down a few times routine corrected most problems, they were just gunked up.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 3, 2012, 08:31 AM   #20
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Ok the clip vs. magazine thing is just ridiculous.

If someone says clip along with a type of weapon that takes a magazine I AM SMART enough to know what they are talking about.
What if the weapon in question uses both a magazine and a clip?

A guy asks me if I have any clips for a No4 Enfield. I say "sure, come on over and I'll give a few". He shows up and is ****** I'm not giving him magazines.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:50 AM   #21
tahunua001

I agree with madcrate. also the OP did not specify what guns he is using said clips and mags for. the entire dictionary discussion here is started from one person taking offense at at a statement that was never made. a vast majority of guns have magazines however that does not mean that they do not also use clips nor does a question involving both terms require a lecture on terminology.

my post though it contained basic definitions was not meant to chastise or add to the existing discussion. I was merely pointing out that clips have virtually no area of improvement with use do to their simplistic design features.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:58 PM   #22
rickyrick

I didn't have a problem with the people explaining the correct usage of the term, I don't think someone should be chastised over it.

Many don't know the proper terms for certain car parts, does that mean they don't deserve the right to own and operate one.
I lot of people think there's only one accelerator in a car.

Fix your mags or throw them away.