The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
spanner659

mossberg 930 magazine issues

have a friend that purchased a 930 home security and put a mag extension on it and he reports that he had the mag loaded and went to unload it and noticed damage to the rim of the last round in the mag and also the plastic case was damaged to the point of leaking powder.has anyone else experienced any similar problems . no obvious burs or other damage to mag tube.could the spring be too long and have caused the damage ....
Old January 2, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

Mossy

Sir;
"Extended" magazines are killers, generally they don't work.
Use Wilson Rogers Stainless 7 rounders - I feel good with a 7 round magazine in a 1911. I any situation you find yourself in an extended magazine is useless anyway and it will get you killed. A handgun is usually a DEFENSIVE weapon - a jam is nightmarish!
Harry B.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:51 PM   #3
sadsack

The spring shouldn't cause any damage of this type, because the follower is between the spring and the cartridge. It would have to be either the extention or the magazine throat joints that would cause cuts or scrapes on the cartridge. Anything that could cut the plastic hull that deep would be enough to jam the feed cycle and should be very obvious.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:45 PM   #4
spanner659

ok thank you for your help i should get to see it to inspect it in the next few days
Old January 8, 2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Warthog

Did your friend use the anti-tilt follower that comes packaged with the Choate extension, or the factory, cup-style follower? The anti-tilt unit reduces the round count to 7 - 2 3/4" or 3" shells, but works flawlessly; for me, at least.