The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 28, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1
arwingram

Really want to try out hunting with a bow any help would be much appreciated

im 21 and really want to take a try at bow hunting any help on price namebrands or what is just good for deer hunting would be awesome
Old July 28, 2007, 01:49 AM   #2
Southern_guy

Wrong section...Heck,maybe even wrong website.
Old July 28, 2007, 01:50 AM   #3
arwingram

thanks anyways lol
Old July 28, 2007, 06:41 AM   #4
rantingredneck

This thread belongs in "The Hunt" and I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to move it.

My answer to your question:

Go to an archery pro shop and get measured for proper draw length. Then try various draw weights to select one you can draw without gasping or any other visible effort. Not everyone can shoot a 70lb draw without spooking game. Once you've got those two questions answered any of the big name compound bow makers products will do you well. I prefer PSE simply because I don't feel the need to drop a grand or more on an archery outfit. Hoyt, Martin, Matthews, etc. are all great bows, but the the pricetags can be steep sometimes. Shop around. Don't be afraid to buy a used bow if it fits you.

Once you get the bow and matching arrows (make sure you get properly weighted and spined arrows for your bow, go to the proshop again ), then like anything else it's practice, practice, practice.
Old July 28, 2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Doyle

I took up bowhunting last season. I hadn't even shot a bow until about this time last summer. Got myself one deer and I missed two pigs. In my humble (ok- that's a stretch) opinion, you need a mentor. I hooked up with a hunting buddy that is not only a great bow shot but he also is very good at bow setup and tuning. If you'll find someone locally that will take you under their wing, it will make your education go much smoother.
Old July 28, 2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Desertfox

I second the pro shop idea. I have bow hunted for many years. I have worked in a bow shop for a few years on the weekends. A bow shop is your best information source for what is best for you. Remember to only buy items that you are going to use. If you are setting up for hunting, you do not need alot of the unnecessary items for target shooting.

If budget is a factor, get a single cam, short axle to axle bow for hunting. The higher the brace height the better for forgiveness. Again, the budget will determine what you buy.

I recommend for a first timer, a whisker biscuit rest and carbon arrows. Get a peep sight and something along the lines of a cobra 3 pin sight. A jaw caliper type release and any short stabilizer will do. The sims vibration labs make some nice stuff and affordable.

On the peep sight, get one with a tube aligner. This will overcome alot of peep problems for starting.

To hunt, pick out some broadheads that you like. I recommend NAP spitfire broadheads to start. Make sure you get 100gr. field tips to practice and 100gr. broadheads to hunt with. The spitfire broadheads fly like fieldtips and are good whitetail broadheads.

As Rantingredneck said, practice, practice, practice. Proper shot placement is vital and the bow shop can assist with everything else. They can't make you practice. You have to do that. You can buy a bag to shoot at for under 50 bucks.
This fall after much practice, get in a tree and enjoy. Have fun!
Old July 28, 2007, 07:12 PM   #7
john1911

I'm gonna agree with everybody who said to find a local bow shop. You might be able to find an experienced bowhunter in your area. Most of us are more than willing to help a newbie get started. No matter where you buy your bow, you're gonna end up at your local guys shop; might as well start out there. Most places will set your new bow up for you if you buy it there.

If your just wanting to try hunting with a bow, buy a used one. Most bowhunters trade bows every two or three years. You could find a trade-in or buy outright from somebody looking for a new bow.

I would advise any one starting out to stay away from the ultra short, high speed bows. These are less forgiving of slight flaws in your form. Also, keep your accessories pretty basic until you get the hang of shooting your bow. I would recommend a three pin sight, peep sight on the string, TM Hunter type rest, caliper release, other basic accessories. You can always upgrade when your skills grow.

As for specific brands, you can't go wrong with any big name company. I started with PSE and currently shoot a High Country Archery bow. Mathews is probably the most popular bow in my area. A couple guys shoot Hoyt. Once again, it's a personal choice.

I shoot Gold Tip carbon arrows. Easton is also a good choice.

Broadheads is were you run into a lot of differing opinions. I used to shoot mechanicals, but wasn't always happy with their performance. I've switched to G5 Montec broadheads and like them much better. My only problem is that they won't shoot to the same point of impact as practice tips. The mechanicals were much better in this aspect. I shoot practice Montecs and don't worry about it.

I hope this helped some and, as always, this is strictly my experiences and opinions. YMMV.
Old July 28, 2007, 09:07 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Yep, start asking questions at a bow pro shop or here:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...5c44&board=9.0

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/

http://forums.bowcountry.com/bcforums/

http://www.archery-forum.com/

http://forums.pse-archery.com/

http://forums.huntingclub.com/eve/fo...rm/f/288006006

http://www.archerygold.com/forum/
Old July 31, 2007, 07:04 PM   #9
davlandrum

Not sure where you are and how you are going to hunt. While I was in the Army, I had a chance to hunt a lot of different states and returned to Oregon when I retired. When I was tree stand hunting a lot, I was shooting a release, but now that I am still hunting, I have gone back to a shooting glove.

+1 on the pro-shop and they can probably point you to a local club where you might find a mentor. Another avenue is bow hunter education classes. They are not universally required (yet...), but I was an instructor in several states. A lot of the people in the class were veteran bow hunters that were taking the class because they were heading to a state where it was required (Colorado is the big one) - so there was a lot of knowledge in the room.

I'd go whisker biskit, sight, and a tab or glove - just for simplicity. You can add all the bells and whistles as you get the urge, but they aren't required.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:24 PM   #10
ZeroJunk

Some great advice.You might see if there is a bow hunting club in your area.There is one in most every county here.Shooting the ranges in the summertime is about as much fun as hunting.
Old August 1, 2007, 11:58 AM   #11
davlandrum

It seems to me that any of the name brands anymore are quality bows - but they are not cheap. I would look for the longest axle-to-axle you can find and the higher the brace height, the better. A longer axle-to-axle give you the option of shooting tab/fingers or with a release. The short bows pinch the heck out of your fingers and are only realistic for release shooters. A higher brace height (the measure between the string and the back edge of the bow), the more forgiving it will shoot with minor form flaws. The arrow has more room to "fix" itself on the way out the door.

I shoot an Oneida Black Eagle and love it, but would never reccomend it for a new shooter unless your local pro-shop sells them. They are very different than any other compound bow out there (totally different cam/cable set up), so you can't get support from just any shop. It does allow me to shoot fingers - it is 47" axle to axle, compared other new bows which go up to about 36"

One other thing about a pro shop is they often (always ?) have used bows around that people have traded in on the latest and greatest. They should let you shoot it some on thier range to find what you like and then set it up for you. A 2-year-old top of the line used bow will still perform and save you a ton of money.

For hunting, check your regs for minimum poundage. In Oregon, it is 45 lbs for deer, 55 for elk. Don't go way over the minimum until you can shoot well. Struggling with a heavy pull bow is one of the most common mistakes new shooters make and it leads to terrible form and habits. Also think about where and how you will hunt as you get the bow set up. The reason I don't use a peep sight is it severly cuts down on shooting light and in the thick stuff I hunt, where light can be at a minimum, I don't want to further limit my shooting. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Old August 1, 2007, 04:11 PM   #12
Charles S

Great advice so far!

I think the single most important thing for a new bow hunter to have is a mentor. Sure anyone can learn to bow hunt on their own, but the learning will happen so much faster with fewer mistakes if the novice has someone to guide them..

I had hunted for years before taking up the bow. A local gentleman was nice enough to take me under his wing and subsequently I killed a nice buck the first year I picked up a bow - this is unusual.

See if you can find someone to help you get started. I really agree with the advice of avoiding a really short high speed bow - they are hard to shoot.

Good luck.

Look into a nice climbing stand if you don't already have one.

You can save a lot of money if you look at the used archery market.
Old August 1, 2007, 04:45 PM   #13
Scorch

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but after the first answer of "wrong forum, wrong website", the original poster has not checked back. Just goes to show how easy it is to turn some people away.
Old August 1, 2007, 06:43 PM   #14
davlandrum

Good catch, Scorch. Too bad.