The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 26, 2016, 08:48 PM   #1
Obambulate

I own a shotgun but have never shot one

Got a 20ga single-shot Brazilian shotgun a while ago. Pre-'68 because it has no serial #. I bought a box of shells and kept it loaded in the bedroom. The gun has a spring-loaded ejector that launches the shell quite a ways when the action is opened.

After it sat unused for a year, I got it out and broke open the action. The ejector popped out past the shell and now I can't get the shell out and of course the action won't close.

Question - can I cut through the plastic shell with a knife without anything bad happening? I'm gonna throw the gun away but I don't want the shell in it.
Old November 26, 2016, 08:52 PM   #2
bobn

cleaning rod from the muzzle with body parts off to the side. wear safety glasses.
Old November 26, 2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I second the cleaning rod method but if you can see the plastic why not pull it out with pliers if the cleaning rod doesn't work.

Just curious why you're going to throw it away? Many people would want one even a broken one mounted on the wall at camp or in the firearms room. Heck they even turn them into tall lamps.
Old November 26, 2016, 10:49 PM   #4
Obambulate

The shell isn't stuck in the chamber/barrel. It slides right out but hits the ejector. Shell is 3" and the ejector is about 1" from the breach. Can I cut the shell 1" from the metal primer end and pull it out in sections?
Old November 26, 2016, 10:53 PM   #5
bobn

in that case remove the fore end. the ejector sometimes is powered by a spring accessible under it.
Old November 26, 2016, 11:06 PM   #6
Blindstitch

You can cut the shell with a knife as long as nothing sparks or lights. The further forward you are the better although I doubt you could spark the powder.

But I would try bobn's option first.
Old November 27, 2016, 12:27 AM   #7
Obambulate

What is the fore end? Everything front of the hinge? Not sure it breaks down that way. Maybe I'll try to post pics tomorrow. I know nothing about shotguns, just want to make this one safe before I toss it.
Old November 27, 2016, 03:47 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

"Throwing away" a firearm is irresponsible and could come back to haunt you.
Even if only for $10, sell it to a shop as a 'parts gun'.

Even the most broken, beaten, battered, and destroyed firearms are worth a bit to some one.
Old November 27, 2016, 09:31 AM   #9
g.willikers

A gun shop might not want to spend time on it, but it would be easy to find a new home for it at the range.
Our local one has a table by the entrance for give aways.
Even a cheapie single shot is still useful for someone, especially if it's free.
But selling it or giving it to a FFL might be the way to do it if there's a record of you owning it.
Old November 27, 2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Blindstitch

The forend is the part forward of the hinge and has to have a way to connect. If you don't see a screw holding it on then it is most likely held on by spring tension. Grab the front of it near the end of the barrel and pull it back. Some are really hard to remove and others fall right off.
Old November 27, 2016, 06:50 PM   #11
2damnold4this

Grab the base of the shell with a good pair of pliers, bend it up over the extractor and pull it out.

Don't throw the gun away. If you can't sell it, turn it in at a buyback for something of value.
Old December 10, 2016, 04:26 PM   #12
Picher

I hope you've been able to resolve your problem by now. If not, I'm wondering what could have caused the extractor/ejector to bypass the unfired shell rim.

Either it's a very sloppy ejector fit, or perhaps there's rust in the chamber.

After clearing the round from the chamber, inspect the vertical fit of the extractor/ejector to see whether it needs to be bent, or the guide peened to limit downward movement.

Hope you get it fixed. A problem like that negates its use as a defense weapon. I wouldn't spend a lot of money to fix the gun, but maybe get a used Mossberg pump shotgun.