The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2013, 08:06 AM   #1
JJ-

Handloading with Flu Virus

Ok kind of off topic here......Tested positive with Flu yesterday. Spending most of my day laying on the couch but when my fever breaks I actually feel like doing something. I've got a lot of ammo that needs loading so the question is....

If I load a few thousand rounds while I have the Flu will the virus stay on my ammo to re-infect me at a later time? Everything I've read suggest the virus only last 24 hours outside the human body but just trying to be cautious. This is not something I want ever again
Old December 27, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Jeff2131

I think you question would be better directed toward a medical forum.
Old December 27, 2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Peter M. Eick

JJ, I agree with the post above, but even more important.

Reloading takes focus. Being sick is not a time when you can focus. Kick back, relax and read a book. Reload when you can put your thoughts and 100% of your concentration on the task at hand.

I would hate to hear you double charged a case when you were sick and blew up a gun at a later date.
Old December 27, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
JJ-

Good point but I probably should have clarified. I have a few thousand 223 brass that needs prepped. I would not attempt actually loading feeling this miserable. That said I'm obviously not even thinking clearly since the title implies loading.

Thanks for the Thoughts

I just don't do well laying on a couch all day especially with buckets of brass to be prepped.

I think like you said it's probably best to just be safe and rest. I prob need the rest anyway.

Last edited by JJ-; December 27, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old December 27, 2013, 09:37 AM   #5
MoGas1341

I just asked my Mother-in-Law (who is visiting for the holidays), who is an RN from Maine and she says that you should thoroughly was and dry your hands before handling materials and if you come back to handle your brass later, you will NOT get reinfected nor will anyone else. If you sneeze, have to blow your nose, use hand sanitizer and go back at it. Hope you feel better.
Old December 27, 2013, 09:49 AM   #6
g.willikers

If you don't lick the brass to clean it, it should be safe.
Old December 27, 2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

IMO: I wouldn't think so. You could call the DRs. office and ask their office nurse.

Reloading or cleaning a rifle is always good therapy when your down with that nasty Flu bug.

There you go. You got that answer from MoGas1341
Old December 27, 2013, 10:00 AM   #8
hodaka

My vote for most unusual question ever asked

I've been hanging around this place for about 8 years and this must be the most unusual question I've run across.

Prep away. Contamination will be everywhere in your house and car and occurred before you showed any symptoms. The ammo should be the least of your problems.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Nick_C_S

Nope, I'm not a medical doctor. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. . .

Seriously, I'm not a doctor, but this is fairly safe to say:

1) The Influenza virus won't live very long on dry brass - maybe a few hours.

2) Since you have Influenza, you will have an immunity for several months or so.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:38 AM   #10
JJ-

Brass Prep it is then. At least I can do something besides lay around on the couch.

And I agree with "the most unusual question". Hey at least it's more entertaining than "thinking about reloading" or "what is best load for 9mm"

Edit: note to self, don't lick brass clean
Old December 27, 2013, 12:32 PM   #11
mikld

I don't like reloading when I'm tired, distracted (obsessive mind running), or sick. But I can process some brass; inspect, size/decap, mebbe trim and chamfer, but rarely charge or seat bullets...
Old December 27, 2013, 12:53 PM   #12
DarthNul

How about wearing some disposable gloves? I do that most of the time that I'm handling (dirty) brass anyway.
Old December 27, 2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Panfisher

Hah I thought I was a wimp for wearing latex or nitrile gloves when handling after the final cleaning and loading. I have loaded when recovering, as long as you are not stumbling sick, and are clear headed go for it. More often than not a little something to do sure helps the recovery.
Old December 27, 2013, 07:20 PM   #14
rdmallory

Quote:
If you sneeze, have to blow your nose, use hand sanitizer and go back at it
I disagree, use the hand sanitizer only when soap and water is not available. Alcohol is a lot more effective on germs and bacteria than viruses if at all. Soap and water does not kill viruses but washes them away.

Doug
Old December 27, 2013, 07:47 PM   #15
JJ-

Thanks for the replies, got about 500 prepped and it felt nice to get up and do something.
Old December 28, 2013, 12:27 AM   #16
hbhobby

not a doctor but I do play one all day

I'm not a doctor but I do play one at work all day.
but what has already been said is true
#1 your whole house is "contaminated" and the brass is of very little concern
#2 it will not last long on the brass 24-48 hours at the most
#3 you will have immunity to whichever particular flu virus you have acquired for months to come so any virus that "magically" lives you will have immunity from
so reload away as long as you are mentally clear enough to perform the task
I would double check twice to make sure everything is done right
Old December 28, 2013, 01:02 AM   #17
MoGas1341

Quote:
What kills influenza viruses?

Influenza viruses can be destroyed by heat (167-212°F [75-100°C]). In addition, several chemical germicides, including chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, detergents (soap), iodophors (iodine-based antiseptics) and alcohols are effective against influenza viruses if used in proper concentrations for a sufficient length of time. For example, alcohol-based hand rubs can be used in the absence of soap and water for hand washing.
This is per the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/preventing.htm

Quote:
Alcohol is a lot more effective on germs and bacteria than viruses if at all. Soap and water does not kill viruses but washes them away. rdmallory
I fully understand this is NOT a medical forum, but since the OP's topic was about the flu and we are passing info I had to do a sourced follow up... Doug, no disrespect intended, you are correct soap and water should be a primary method, but alcohol will kill the flu virus. The man got his brass prepped and all is well.

Last edited by MoGas1341; December 28, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old December 28, 2013, 01:03 PM   #18
mikld

Just take two fingers of Rock and Rye, about 1 oz. of lemon or lime juice, 1/2 cup hot water, a cinnamon stick. Mix well, sip slowly, and go to bed and think about brass/reloading tomorrow...
Old December 28, 2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Marco Califo

Apart from the contagion issue, I do certain case prep tasks while watching TV or even working late night shifts: decapping, sizing, trimming, even priming. These are things you can do safely even when distracted/interrupted. Except for trimming, a missed case will be obvious. But measuring powder and seating bullets require focus.
Old December 28, 2013, 07:09 PM   #20
swfan

i am a doctor, board certified and licensed

1. sorry you have the flu
2. you can't reinfect yourself
3. you can infect others around you virus can survive on surfaces for 2-3 weeks that includes brass
4. if you shoot someone with your flu bullets that person will catch the flu for sure !!!!!! heh
Old December 28, 2013, 07:22 PM   #21
cdoc42

I, too, am a doctor and just catching upon this thread.

Has anyone ever seen the sun coming through a window, catching a view of all the dust in the air? Well, that's what the air looks like every day- but filled with viruses and bacteria.

If your immune system is capable of interfering with whatever number of infectious agents are in the air, you - and everyone else around you - breathes that air, and you don't get ill. But when conditions change, and the sheer number of infectious agents multiply beyond your body's immediate ability to counter attack, you get ill. That's why it takes 7-10-14 days for the usual individual to get over the flu; your immune system must charge up and take over.

Worried about spreading the flu to others? Think about it. If any disease is transmissible from human to human, where did the first human get it? Therefore, ANY human can get it WHERE YOU got it. Now, common sense dictates one should not sneeze, cough or spit on someone else so as to make it more convenient for the offending agent to infect the recipient. But how often do you see your family doctor -or his/her staff-walking around with masks on?

Just load you rounds. When you fire them, all will be sterilized.
Old December 28, 2013, 07:34 PM   #22
jcwit

And just think, for the whopping sum of $15 to $25 bucks you could have saved yourself all this misery.
Old December 30, 2013, 02:07 AM   #23
kinoons

Not for certain. Each year the medical community takes their best guess which particular strain of flu virus will be a problem and immunize for that one (actually its several in one injection, but no where near all of the several hundred strains). While a flu shot reduces the likelihood of becoming ill, it is not a guarantee.
Old December 30, 2013, 06:28 AM   #24
jcwit

Quote:
Not for certain. Each year the medical community takes their best guess which particular strain of flu virus will be a problem and immunize for that one (actually its several in one injection, but no where near all of the several hundred strains). While a flu shot reduces the likelihood of becoming ill, it is not a guarantee.
True, but the odds are in ones favor.

Life is not a guarantee, you might get hit by a drunk going to or from the range and die.

I play the game with the odds in my favor, its worked for the past 20 years.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:55 AM   #25
Clark

It is my understanding that one can't catch the same flu or cold twice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

So I am not buying into the idea of self reinfection.

But I will say this about the over 200 viral strains identified, "If God had intended us to send small children to large day care centers, he would have cut our heads in half and poured turpentine on our sinuses."
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?