The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 27, 2013, 03:03 PM   #26
dakota.potts

My dad and I were talking about buying a Garand from the CMP. He used an M14 in the Navy (one of the full auto ones that almost nobody could control) and has always wanted a Garand. However, I think a 30-06 is going to be a big leap into the world of rifles for me.

I may very well take the advice here and get a bolt action first. I'm taking on more guitar/bass lessons at the studio I work out, so I'll be making about $450 a month. That's before the gas to drive out there and the insurance I'll have to help pay for when I get my driver's license hopefully this month. Not to mention all the new equipment I'll have to buy to keep up with the students. I guess the moral of the story is, low cost is something that's important to me right now and thinking about it there's no reason I couldn't add on an extra month or two of waiting for an AR if I found a nice bolt action that was worth the price. If I decide this is the way to go, I'll start a thread over in that section.

Until then, AR suggestions are still awesome. I like to know as much as possible about something before I buy it. I spent almost a year researching the bass I got for my graduation present, and about 6 months researching airsoft before I bought an airsoft gun at 14. To that end, whoever posted that forum link for the AR-15 is awesome!
Old February 27, 2013, 03:31 PM   #27
Ronbert

Just a thought on your neighbor---

If you already know the guy and get along well he might be amenable to teaching you how to shoot and could open a whole new world of good advice to you for nothing.

Some of us old guys LIKE to show youngsters around the world of shooting. And for me personally it re-energizes my interest in the topic to have someone to teach. It helps me remember when it was all new and how much fun it was to learn.

He might not know ARs but he probably knows some stuff worth learning.

(then again he could be full of hot air - but you can decide for yourself)

Last edited by Ronbert; February 27, 2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: add hot air possibility
Old February 27, 2013, 03:51 PM   #28
dakota.potts

He is an AR enthusiast and I know he knows what he's doing and talking about. I'll definitely ask him about it sometime when I get some things figured out.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:00 PM   #29
AGENT TIKKI

check this out too......

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...s-guide-59600/
Old February 28, 2013, 04:02 PM   #30
KMyerK98

Dust Settles

It's a slim shot but perhaps you should go with a bolt gun for now and "maybe" all this political nonsense will settle down and result in nothing.

If nothing happens (ban wise), AR's will be falling into the used auctions like rain in oregon! Filled up from all those folks who bought one just because of fear. I would guess the other option would be that whatever restrictions are put in place will be overcome cosmetically by the manufacturers (like the last ban - the politico's weren't too clever in their restrictions language). So we had to buy AK variants with 10 rounds instead of 30 and AR's without bayonet lugs - so what!

A few tweeks of the cosmetics and you'll have a slew of "post ban" auto's or a slew of used "only put 20 rounds through it" to choose from for half or less than now, maybe both!

The idea of building your own AR is a great one. You will learn tons of information about the platform. I've built a few just for the fun of it. Yea, that's right, learn something and have fun at it - gotta love that!
Old March 2, 2013, 07:27 PM   #31
JASmith

Go to post #15 in this thread: Hornady 123 SST Meets Florida Wild Hogs. There you will see a young gentleman of about your age with his Grendel and a freshly harvested hog.

The forum offers tons of discussions about the Grendel.

You can also see a short series of online articles focused on the Grendel and medium game at Grendelmania. If you get really interested in the cartridge, try getting a copy of the recently published booklet dedicated to reloading for the Grendel. There is an overview of the book at 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook.