The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: M&P 9 or M&P .40 to 9 conversion?
M&P 9 28 87.50%
M&P .40 to 9 conversion 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11, 2013, 06:45 AM   #1
iMagUdspEllr

M&P which one?

There is a rumor that M&P 9mm pistols had accuracy issues (like 10" groups at 10 yards... bench rested) for some reason. I don't know if they ever did/used to/still do have these issues.

However, I want to purchase an M&P full-size in 9mm but those rumors are making me consider buying an M&P .40 and a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel (then I would have the option of using either caliber). However, I have seen footage on youtube showing the .40 to 9mm conversion jamming on occasion.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5yeJEkvBbU)

After looking into solving that problem further. Some people say the problem was fixed with using a different recoil spring and/or using a different extractor made by APEX.

I would rather just buy the 9mm from the factory. But, I don't want to run the risk of getting a lemon that doesn't shoot (as well as any other similarly priced pistol) for no reason. And, as long as it is as reliable as 9mm from the factory after the necessary modifications, I don't mind doing the .40 to 9 conversion. I just would rather have a stock gun.

I know, I could be paranoid. But, I have seen the accuracy issues with the full-size 9mm corroborated across multiple forums. (That's not to say those people were verified to be telling the truth... I have just seen people confirm the issue across multiple forums)

So M&P9 or M&P .40 to 9mm conversion?
Old February 11, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
TacticalDefense1911

Smith has recently updated the M&P FS 9mm barrel to improve lockup and accuracy. The accuracy issue was only with FS 9mm M&P's and it was not a 100% thing. Some were fine, some were not. The new barrel design has improved lockup tolerances and seems to have solved the issue from what I have seen. Too bad they had this issue with a pistol that is pretty solid for the money otherwise. You could go with the .40 and buy an aftermarket barrel for the 9mm if you are worried but 9mm magazines are impossible to find right now.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:54 AM   #3
ShootingNut

I can only speak regarding the .40 caliber, as I own both M&P .40 full size and the compact series. I love the .40 myself, some don't thinking it has too much recoil/flip to it. Personally that never was an issue for me, and I do own other guns in 9mm and a XDM .45ACP.
The M&P remains one of my favorite guns in my collection.
SN
Old February 11, 2013, 01:44 PM   #4
iMagUdspEllr

Thanks a bunch for the responses!
Old February 11, 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
breakingcontact

Quote:
9mm magazines are impossible to find right now.
No, they're just $100+!
Old February 11, 2013, 04:16 PM   #6
LockedBreech

The M&P .40 does an outstanding job with .40 S&W, it's one of the only pistols that I have shot that can compare to my PX4 .40 in that regard (the other being the Sig 229). In that platform .40 is very controllable and comfortable.

That said, if you're intending on using 9mm for defense uses, get a dedicatd 9mm. I don't trust conversions outside of a range setting. Ex. If I wanted to carry a midsize Glock in 9mm occasionally and .40 occasionally, I'd buy a G23 AND a G19, not a conversion.

Silly maybe, but it gives me peace of mind.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:47 PM   #7
ShootingNut

Beretta's PX4 series is a great gun. I have the compact model in 9mm, what a great shooting gun it is. Son has full sized in .40, deadly accurate fine gun.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:01 PM   #8
iMagUdspEllr

Yeah, I agree. I definitely think its better to get the firearm the way you want it from the factory if possible.

I had a PX4 Storm SD in .45 and a PX4 Storm Compact in 9mm. I wanted to learn DA/SA for the sake of being proficient with it. I couldn't get into them because of the slide-mounted safety and I had a hard time becoming proficient with the DA trigger pull (due to my small hands... couldn't really reach and get the proper leverage). It didn't feel great to rack the slide with the safety levers digging into my palm.

I wish Beretta would get their awesome barrel lock-up designs in a platform other than DA/SA with a slide mounted safety.

I know the PX4 C was made. I could never find one to see if I liked the constant trigger or not, and I wasn't going to buy one online just to feel the trigger.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:48 PM   #9
tristar viper

Where's the option for "NEITHER" ?
Old February 12, 2013, 06:52 PM   #10
iMagUdspEllr

@tristar viper: Just curious. What would you suggest?