The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 4, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
south.texas.dead.I

Good leather ccl holsters?

I've been wanting to get a good leather I'd holster for cc when I get my license. I have a p226 that I plan on carrying to start with and seeing how it goes. I like the higher end iwb holsters like bigriverleather. I also would kinda like some exotic trim or something in there. But every site that does this stuff has like an 18 week wait. Is there a site that has them already made? Or know anyone that could make one in less time? Thanks

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old May 5, 2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

If you want a custom holster, you will likely have to wait.

If you really want one, buy a decent holster like Galco or Bianchi to use while your custom is being made.

Personally, since it sounds like you haven't carried all that long, or at least this gun for very long, I'd buy a good Galco and see how the gun and mode of carry work for you. If you are new to it, chances are at some point you will change your carry method and or gun. Once you settle on a gun and mode, I'd then plunk the cash on nice custom made set up.

Additionally, use the money you will save to buy a well made, leather gun belt. A gun belt is the most important part of your rig.
Old May 5, 2012, 07:42 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Top shops for concealed carry...

The SIG Sauer P226 has a lot of holster choices & styles.
Top custom firms include; Kramer Gun Leather, Mitch Rosen, Mernickle, Bulman Gunleather, El Paso Saddlery, Milt Sparks, Kirkpatrick Leather, High Noon Leather, Alessi, Galco.
As posted, custom shops may take a few months to deliver the P226 holster but if you want exotic leathers(horse, shark, snake, etc) or features that increases the wait.

Clyde
Old May 5, 2012, 01:15 PM   #4
jhenry

That's a nice list of makers. Of course, I suppose the OP is looking for personal recommendations based on experience.

I have found Galco to be a very nice quality holster, and use an IWB thumbsnap rig fairly frequently. Another maker I recommend based on my own use is Simply Rugged. Rob can also supply exotic leathers and usually has a selection on hand. Hippo, shark, alligator, ray and elephant are common requests. Nicely tooled and /orcarved aare alsoan option with them.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:51 PM   #5
south.texas.dead.I

Ya, I dont really care for a guy or company that doesn't have quality products to be mentioned but all of that list looked to be of good work. I'm looking for iwb with wide points of contact (I guess is how you'd say it) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336243864.625533.jpg like this holster has wide straps. People's say this is a good thing for heavier pistols

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old May 6, 2012, 08:53 AM   #6
El Fumador

Check out Winthrop Holsters. I ordered an IWB for my Glock 19C and received it the same week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2850a.jpg (169.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2860a.jpg (200.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2861a.jpg (153.0 KB, 19 views)
Old May 7, 2012, 11:21 PM   #7
south.texas.dead.I

I've been doing a lot of looking around and think that based on what I've seen an iwb with wide straps would be the most ideal. But from what I've seen these are only made by custom work. Those take like 6 months turnaround time. I woul like to try concealing the 226 for a while before committing like that. Anyone know of any like this?

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old May 7, 2012, 11:32 PM   #8
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fumador View Post
Check out Winthrop Holsters. I ordered an IWB for my Glock 19C and received it the same week.
Thanks for the link

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old May 9, 2012, 08:12 PM   #9
knute

Check out Hopp Custom Leather.
https://www.facebook.com/HoppCustomLeathers
Just got mine in today and have fallen in love again He'll make what you want, not a cookie cutter holster by any means, made for your gun. Great guy to deal with. Six week turnaround for mine but this was a first for him. Convertable iwp/owp, tuckable w/clips and a iwp mag holder.

Old May 9, 2012, 09:26 PM   #10
south.texas.dead.I

http://www.winthropholsterstore.com/...6-dsh-/Detail;
D

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old May 10, 2012, 11:31 AM   #11
JerryM

It may be that they have something in stock.
http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm
They carry some of the best maker's holsters and not much of a premium.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.