The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Ballcoach

Trigger sticks on Colt .357

I just purchased a Colt .357 that appeared to be in great condition. The first day I shot it using .38 Special it was great. Today, after putting about 50 rounds of .38 Special and .357 through it the trigger began to stick in the pulled position after firing. I cleaned it and it still sticks about half the time dry firing and the hammer will not stay cocked in single action about half the time. Anyone have any clues?
Old January 9, 2011, 10:39 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like something is wrong in the lockwork, maybe in the area of the hammer block safety, but IMHO there is no way anyone can diagnose that problem without seeing the gun. I am pretty sure someone has been messing around in there and when the gun didn't work traded it off. Take a look at the sideplate screws for signs they have been removed.

I assume the gun uses the old type lockwork, which is complex and hard to work on; many gunsmiths won't touch them. I think Colt still works on the newer ones, and I would give them a call. If that fails, try www.cylinder-slide.com and see what they say.

Jim
Old January 10, 2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

A classic symptom of a Colt action that's been tampered with is failure of the trigger to return and "push off", where the hammer can be pushed and it'll un-cock.

This is something you can't fix at home, and something almost no local gunsmith will be qualified to work on without further botching it up.
Colt will still repair the 357, so I strongly recommend returning it to them for a proper diagnosis and repair.

The 357 is a premium Colt revolver and very well worth repairs.
They'll send you an estimate before starting work.
Check the details for repairs on the web site:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/
Old January 12, 2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Ballcoach

Thanks. I'm sending it to Colt.