The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1
NoSecondBest

Springfield Stevens 410

I got another shotgun from my father today and it was his fathers gun. It's a Springfield Stevens 410 side by side made in Chicopee Falls, Mass. Serial number E97236. Anyone have any idea what year this gun might have been made, does it have 3" or 2 3/4" chambers, chokes, etc. Nothing is stamped on the gun except the serial numbers and they all match on the wood and on the frame. The barrels don't give any info on chambers or chokes. It's in pretty good condition. It doesn't have ejectors and it has two triggers. It has two beads on the rib. I don't have any kids and I'm getting up there in years myself. A friend of mine wants to buy it for his grandson. It would be nice to know someone got it who would appreciate it but I have no idea what it's worth. I might end up selling it to him for a fair price after I think about it for a bit. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old March 7, 2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Doyle

Likely either a 311 or its predicessor the 5100. In .410, it will command a FAR greater price than it would in 12ga.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:12 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

Anyone have an idea of what a fair price would be on a gun like this? It's in good condition but it was used for hunting and it's not pristine. A little of the finish is off the forend and there are some dings in the stock but really not too bad. No chunks missing or anything like that. Original butt plate, etc. You can still see some of the case hardening on the receiver and the blueing is about 70-80% with no rust or pitting.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Hawg

It's a 5100 the predecessor to the 311. Stevens dropped the Springfield name in 48. Not much way to accurately date the older Stevens that I know of. I'd hazard a guess of 500-600 for a .410 but that might be a little low in todays market. Best thing is find one on one of the auction sites and see what they actually sell for.
Old March 8, 2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Goatwhiskers

Most likely chambered for 3" but safest thing is to have the chamber measured. As far as choke, most all the old .410 doubles were choked modified and full, some were full on both barrels. Again, find a 'smith with proper tools and measure to be sure. Goatwhiskers
Old March 8, 2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Hawg

Some were full and extra full.