The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2009, 04:09 PM   #251
GLShooter

The AA Turret on the big table was acquired in 1978 after I got into IHMSA big time. One time I loaded 21,000 rounds in 21 days on it shooting 1000/day for my first PPC match ( I won!! LOL)The Star was a necessity to load 9X21 on as I was shooting about 2000 rounds/month with it.
I did upgrade it with a Dillon case feeder to get the speed up somewhat.

I got my first 300 in 1982 and moved on from there. I finally got a total of 3 of them. I tell everyone I had the first Dillon 900 in existence. The only complaint I had was that the powder measure is manual. I converted over to the Lee Auto Powder Measures for my pistol calibers and custom cut the disks for specific charge weights. They don't vary much as I have one load for IPSC 45, one load for IPSC 38 and one load each for 9 MM and 38 PPC stuff.

I use to visit their shop in Phoenix when I flew out on Con Air and enjoyed talking with the guys that ran the counter. Always very helpful and generous in the parts department. I moved to AZ in 1998 and am now only 13 miles from the Dillon plant. It is so nice to be able to get any needed accessories on short notice and advice on making my 650 run better.

The room is my haven daily with a computer set up and plenty of light to make the loading easier.

Greg
Old October 16, 2009, 04:33 PM   #252
Farmland

A nice little history. I shot my first IPSC match in 1993 and at the time I did not reload. I got hooked and I was buying 3-D re-manufactured ammunition at the time. The small group that I shot with practiced twice a week at the time. I was the kid of the group. Since then one has died, one has health problems and only two of us from the group still shoot.

The 650 came later that year and has had a steady work load ever since. I have added things but really kept to one press with three tool heads set up for my IPSC shooting, 9mm, 40 & 45.

Prior to moving to the farm I had a great reloading room that I built. I still have a reloading room but it isn't what I had though of course I have my own personal ranges now.

I still keep a busy shooting schedule but I'm starting to see the young kids improving and catching me. That is so funny back in 1993 I was one of those young kids gaining on those older guys.

Thanks for sharing your room.
Old October 16, 2009, 06:57 PM   #253
GLShooter

I started in IPSC in 1980. Became the SC for OK in 1983. I've shot 13 Open Nationals and 5 Indoor Nats. Won 6 total US Revolver titles (3 Open 3 Indoors)

I was one of the guys that really got 3 gun going n OK. Great to be on the ground floor of something. I am not so young anymore either (59)

Greg
Old October 16, 2009, 07:23 PM   #254
Foxbat

That is truly great! I am also 59, and just started USPSA... this year... done about six matches so far, and am enjoying it. Too bad the season is pretty much over.

I typically beat a lot of much younger guys. I have no goal of winning any tournaments, I am a realist, I am just there to have fun.
Old October 16, 2009, 10:56 PM   #255
KB8UBL

GLShooter

GLShooter, can you suggest a firearm for shooting steel? I live in Scottsdale (work in the Airpark and about a 4-iron from Dillon sweet!), just joined Rio Salado and plan to start shooting on Tuesday nights. Found an issue of Front Sight, read it cover to cover. Can't wait to get started. I've been reloading off and on for 25 years. Do most of my work on a 650 (see photo of my "Man Cave" on page 8). Thanks for your help.

Greg (KB8UBL)
Old October 17, 2009, 01:07 PM   #256
GLShooter

Since you are shooting at Rio on Tuesday I believe that is a Steel Challenge course and all you have to do is hit the targets (fast !! ) If you want to go for just SC stuff you have to consider will you be going into other disciplines like IPSC or even IDPA. IDPA eliminates dots so that gets you down to a basic pistol. I believe they also limit you to 10 rounds so a wide body will not do you any good.

SC and IPSC let you shoot such a myriad. If I wanted Open competition I would go with a wide body like an ST or Para in 9X21 or 38 Super. You can load DOWN for SC as the PF is only 120 if I recall. I would consider a 9 MM in Open also as you can shoot them very fast and A Zones win matches not D Zones! ( 29 years of IPSC taught me that) If I were going straight SC stock type iron sights I would go with a 1911 9 MM that would also do good in IDPA for you.

I am going to shoot a comped 1911 race gun in SC type matches at Ben Avery or an iron sighted stock 45 loaded WAY down.

Let me know what you think if you think I am all wet or actually helping.

Greg
Old October 19, 2009, 08:09 PM   #257
Rangefinder

All right. Since it's been a few years and several locations since I put up a photo of my bench way back on page 2, here's my new little loading corner tucked away in my otherwise huge new shop!

I'm in the process of separating out a whole bunch of mil surp FMJ's that I got reciently---That's what all the little bags are hanging. They're supposed to be 147gr Steel core FMJ. I'm getting gr. weights all the way between 146 up to 149, with a light odd-ball at 142.6 light and another at 153.2 heavy. Oh the joys of it all...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Last edited by Rangefinder; October 19, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:17 PM   #258
bdhawk

i'll give it a try

here is my humble setup.

Last edited by bdhawk; July 26, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old October 20, 2009, 09:14 PM   #259
Farmland

You hare a nice Dillon Blue room to go with those Dillon's.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:34 PM   #260
chrisg

Here are a few pics with my most recent additions.... Dillon XL650 and 2 Star Universal loaders in .38 and .45 ACP.
040.JPG

041.JPG

042.JPG
Old November 16, 2009, 11:23 AM   #261
GLShooter

That is a great set up. I just need about twice my space to accommodate all the goodies I have in my room. Perhaps my move to NM, should it ever happen, will let me gate a larger space as my current 225 square feet is crowded!!

Greg
Old November 16, 2009, 02:21 PM   #262
Nomo4me

I've enjoyed looking at all the pics of other folks' setups here so will share mine.
I load in my furnace room. I didn't want to shrink my work bench by 1/2 by bolting presses to it. I also kind of liked the idea of having the presses mounted at a right angle to the scale/dispenser & cartridge prep area.

So I decided to mount my Co-ax and LNL AP to a 4x4 which is clamped in a German-made Schlegel brand vice on a Schlegel spring loaded riser, that mounted atop a stand made of 1/2" thick steel I had welded up way back in the day. I can raise/lower it or spin it backwards for easier access to the water heater.
The other vice with the Tikka .223 and RCBS Case Master is one made back in the day by an Alpine, TX fellow named Kesey Kimball. Kesey was a great Texas gentleman and custom gun builder. I don't know if this vice is still made but I wouldn't sell mine for any price. The jaws are urethane lined and one of them pivots so it grips any area of a gun stock without marring it in the slightest, even checkering.

Old November 16, 2009, 04:58 PM   #263
Foxbat

BTW, a small bit of advice based on personal experience - painting the basement walls white changes the feel of the space tremendously, it become much more pleasant and habitable, all for a few bucks.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:16 PM   #264
Bushmaster223

heres mine

Just finished rebuilding mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1028091631.jpg (118.0 KB, 1141 views)
File Type: jpg 1015092219.jpg (128.4 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg 1028091632a.jpg (119.6 KB, 805 views)
Old November 17, 2009, 12:22 PM   #265
BigJimP

Attachment 53961

Attachment 53962

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...7&d=1232046534

Dillon 650 with case feeder on one bench / MEC Hydraulic 9000 HN models - the 12ga is on the left and 28ga on right - and then I swap out the 28ga loader with a .410 and 20ga model ( just disconnect hydraulic hose / bleed tube ) and swap them out.

Last edited by BigJimP; December 14, 2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old November 19, 2009, 12:25 AM   #266
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Even'n folks,

New to this site, but interested in the give and take of the progressive loaders considering I have a L&L which should arrive this Friday.

Looking and reading about the many nice reloading areas, and would have one comment.

No one has used what I think to be one of the best ideas ever,

A receiver tube setup under the bench which with the addition of the male portion of the system, allows for tool changing in both bench location and tool type.

All the while, doing away with holes in the bench top or bench clutter.

Wish I could say it was my idea, but barrowed it from a friend when I put the loading bench in our new digs and find it is a great way to go.

My bench is very solid, two sheets of 3/4 plywood, glued and screwed together on top of 2X4s screwed into the 2X6 exterior wall.

Knee braces at about every four feet under the bench, the top finished with formica laminate and the front edge faced with oak to match the rest of the house.

Solid!!!!!!!

The female portion of the receiver system was attached to the undersurface of the bench with thru bolts before the formica was glued down, leaving a nice smooth and easy to clean surface to the work area.

The arrival of the Hornady L&L will probably require a new mount to fit the receiver tubes, but an hour or so in the shop should take care of that situation.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
Old November 19, 2009, 08:16 AM   #267
Sevens

Actually, if you flip back a few pages from this one, you'll see that user Rembrandt has built a really sleek design that allows for tool changing and no holes on the bench. Many fine pictures of his setup.

IMO, I've never felt the need to have tools that move... but then, I don't employ a half dozen presses, either, so I don't really need to execute such an idea.
Old November 19, 2009, 08:20 AM   #268
Sevens

Nomo4me, nice setup... but (and I may be over cautious) if it were me, I don't know if I'd be totally comfortable with primers and actually priming in the direct vicinity of a natural gas lines like the one that's running your water heater.

On one hand... a leak anywhere in the basement would likely end in the same result when a primer is accidentally detonated, but still... I just couldn't run that setup. The gas line is literally inches from either press depending on which way you've spun that cool vise.
Old November 19, 2009, 10:51 AM   #269
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Morn'in Stevens,

This is of course just IMHO, but the under bench receiver system wins hands down.

No holes OR groves/channels in the bench top.

My bench is in a common area where the wife and I spend most of our in house leasure time. It is also the area where the wife does her sewing, where we have our easy chairs and where we watch our TV.

So, installing all my tools - powder measures, couple of trimmers/neck turner, shotshell loader, RCBS primer tool (not a primer strip machine), Hornady L&L progressive etc, would really clutter things up with "stuff".

I have the RCBS Rockchucker bolted to one "male" receiver tube set up and and another to which I "C" clamp tools then in use.

The Hornady L&L should arrive the 20th, so will soon see in I need to build another mounting setup. I expect I will.

Mean while, a couple of wing nuts and I can quickly install or remove any one of my tools leaving a clean, smooth and open work area for whatever is needed.

Anyway, lots of nice and or usable loading area listed in this thread.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
Old November 19, 2009, 11:04 AM   #270
Sevens

Meh, one man's clutter is another man's perfectly organized and easily accessible center of operations. If it works for you, your are golden. I wouldn't want to work in that manner.

I also wouldn't want my wife doing any sort of sewing on a reloading bench with spent primer schmutz and bullet lead residue all over everything. That's just a no-go. I'm not sure what woman would want to work in that environment.

But again, if it works for you, then it's likely perfect, and that's all good!
Old November 19, 2009, 12:42 PM   #271
Landric

Here is mine:

Landric
Old November 19, 2009, 05:27 PM   #272
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep Steven's, that is why you are not in my area and I'm not in yours, plus differences are why we as a people are or can be so interesting.

My reloading area IS NOT "that environment" and is perfectly presentable and able for both of our uses.

I am retired, like being at home and like being with my wife, so if she can put up with me, I'll gladly put up with her.

Just completed a loft in my shop, and have really well insulated the area plus installed heat. Call it the "wife's dog house".

This new area would be perfectly suited for a reloading area, and infact that is where my old loading bench from 35+ years now resides.

The area is now in use for cleaning rifles, doing leather work, changing from and drying wet hunting clothes, but the reloading will remain in the loading room/sewing room/TV room/common area.

If I was Pooter wise, I could show it off a bit, but need a four year old around to help in that area.

We talked about it at length before the project began, and the area works very well for us, even better now that some "stuff" has been moved to the loft and I have a designated area for gun cleaning.

Sharon never did like the smell of Hoppies #9 as well as I do.

I can see if I allowed old primers/lead etc. to contaimate the area, it could be a problem and have the wife up in arms, but this not a factor with the Crusty Deary Ol'Coot and his lovely wife.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
Old November 19, 2009, 07:50 PM   #273
Sevens

Yep, my wife h-a-t-e-s the Hoppe's #9. I absolutely love the smell of the stuff.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:49 PM   #274
ftlewismp

Reload Station

This is my humble work station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT00049.jpg (168.1 KB, 1192 views)
File Type: jpg ATT00057.jpg (166.6 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg ATT00034.jpg (148.6 KB, 470 views)
Old November 23, 2009, 10:34 AM   #275
Maligator

Quote:
Yep, my wife h-a-t-e-s the Hoppe's #9. I absolutely love the smell of the stuff.
LOL...if she doesn't like Hoppe's #9 then she would REALLY HATE Butches Bore Shine!:barf:

I plan on revealing my portable work bench as soon as it is complete. I took the idea from someone else who used a Black & Decker Workmate.