The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2000, 03:57 PM   #1
PVerdieck

Allright, I didn't get a Mossberg. Instead I went with a 12g. Benelli Nova, pump, ~19", ghost rings(315/351 w/ tax).

It is fun to shoot but punishing. I took it to the range yesterday, did some minor adjustments to the elevation, and was hitting things on the berm, 65y away with slugs.

I have already ordered a magazine extender.

Does anyone have experience with shotgun recoil reducers. I see that Brownells has one available (mercury) for my gun. How much do these help? How about a different recoil pad?

[This message has been edited by PVerdieck (edited September 24, 2000).]
Old September 24, 2000, 04:19 PM   #2
PJR

The Benelli Nova is an interesting gun. One of my pals owns one and I've shot it a little. If I am not mistaken, Benelli has a recoil reducer that you can install in the stock. Putting on a different recoil pad might be a challenge because of the way Benelli mounts the pad on this gun. It sort of inserts into the plastic stock.

Any recoil reducer, mercury or otherwise, will change the balance of the gun. I don't think this will be a problem with the Benelli because the one that I fired seemed quite light in the stock and could use a little weight there.
Old September 24, 2000, 05:33 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Have zero experience with the Nova, but plenty of experience with shotguns that kick.
If the stock is reasonably well fitted to you, you can heavy up the gun or lighten up the load. The difference in recoil between say, the 9 pellet 00 load and the 12 pellet one is marked.Between a 1 1/4 oz Brenneke and a 1 oz Forster type is too.

As for the recoil reducer, try adding about half a lb of weight in that buttstock,and then the extension. A lb more weight turns the recoil mule into a pony. As for balance, different rules apply for a Police/Tactical/ HD tool than a grouse gun. As long as the blalnce point is between the hands and itys swings OK, go for it.