The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 16, 2013, 12:12 PM   #26
turkeychaser

H.D markings on the barrel

Here is a better view of the markings. Hope this can help solve more of the mystery!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7463.jpg (245.3 KB, 19 views)
Old April 16, 2013, 03:03 PM   #27
SDC

There are a couple of different possibilities for these initials, but I can't think of away to narrow it down past these; "HR" may stand for "Henry Riga", a barrel-maker who lived from 1848 to 1908, and the "HD" could be "Henrion & Dassy", but there were so many different Belgian manufacturers and guild-houses in business at that time, it may be impossible to figure this one out.
Old April 16, 2013, 03:19 PM   #28
pohill

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge...belge%20gb.htm
Old April 16, 2013, 03:40 PM   #29
Captchee

Quote:
Exactly, I was just trying to show turkeychaser a link to a trade gun (not a carbine) because it looked similar to his.
ok , understood .
Old April 16, 2013, 04:27 PM   #30
turkeychaser

Still trying

I think I am going to take it to a antique arms guy and find out what they say? Any Ideas as to where I should take it or get in touch with. I am in NJ. You guys have given me a renewed interest in this gun. Thanks
Old April 17, 2013, 02:02 AM   #31
Doc Hoy

Depends.....

If you are in northern Jersey, you might start by calling around to shops close to New York City. I am thinking do a search (online) for Bogota, NJ gun shops and start calling. I would not carry the shotgun across the line into New York until you talk to someone.

If you are in South Jersey, like Williamstown, Philadelphia is your answer. But again, I would call around so as not to waste a lot of gas.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:30 AM   #32
Willie Sutton

Having lived in Northern NJ for 50 years, I can offer that there are no gunshops in that area that will know anything about it. Gunshops are a rare thing in NJ, getting rarer, and are not fun or informative places to go, especially with old stuff. Frankly... I don't think there is a single place that would be of assistance anyplace in the state.

Suggestion would be to find out when the next Forks of the Delaware Gunshow is in Allentown PA, and to carry it there. This show is run by an antique arms collectors club, and you should be able to take it to a few of the tables there run by the antique guys and ask. There will be mobs of people looking at all of the black rifles, but a number ot tables will have guys with antique arms for display, sale, and trade. Find them and ask.

Willie

Old April 17, 2013, 05:53 AM   #33
Doc Hoy

What Willie said

Central to North Jersey (Phillipsburg) is only a hop, skip and a jump.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:44 PM   #34
turkeychaser

Thanks

Thanks Doc I live about 5 minutes from Phillipsburg, and I looked up the antique show its May 10th and 11th. Will take it there and see what happens. Who know might even run across a BP shotgun for sale? :-)