The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1
saspas48

never reloaded before???

ok guys this may be a dumb question but i have never reloaded before and want to start and know NOTHING about it...... i need suggestions on what press to get or is there a nice but not insanley expensive kit that has everything i need? i will probably mostly be doing rifle ammo... i need suggestions on what powder etc... any help would be awesome!
Old July 27, 2012, 01:14 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Check out the sticky.

Sent from a Linux kernel.
Old July 27, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
dacaur

Buy a loading manual for what powders to get, my hornady #8 manual lists what works and also normally what they found to work the "best". Then after reading the manual (my hornady manual has a part that explains reloading before you get to the actualy load recipies) buy a reloading kit and a set of dies. I have never seen anyone regret buying one of the lee turret presses. kempfs has one with everything you need including dies for just over $200. Other than that there is not much we can tell you right now until you have real questions....
Old July 27, 2012, 02:01 PM   #4
math teacher

If you are going to load mostly for rifle, that is at much less volume than pistol shooters, then a single stage press will suit you just fine and is less expensive.
Old July 27, 2012, 02:46 PM   #5
wogpotter

Get a reloading manual before anything else. All of them have an introduction section that will be the fastest way for you to get up to speed before you buy anything.

Seriously reading that introduction then asking questions from the information you'll learn will be a huge help to you. Right now there are questions you don't even know to ask about & a quick read will give you a great start off so you don't buy a bunch of stuff that isn't what you need.

Once you have the base knowledge then start getting stuff, that will literally save you a bunch of frustration & money.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 27, 2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Nathan

Abc's of reloading I hear is a good first step.

Then, I would suggest a kit with a turret press or buying a complete setup used. A complete new rig can be way expensive.

Also, it is hard to break even reloading. You need to do it for fun or to make better ammo.
Old July 27, 2012, 03:33 PM   #7
TheNatureBoy

Think safety at all times!

1. Determine which caliber you are going to load for.

2. Purchase a reloading kit from Lee, RCBS, Hornady or one of the other manufacturers to include a reloading manual.

3. Purchase the appropriate reloading dies (might be included in the kit).

4. Purchase a reloading manual from Lee, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS if one isn't included in the kit.

5. Puchase empty, unprimed cases, powder, primers and bullet/s.

6. Before you attempt to produce a projectile, read, read, and read some more.

7. Go to youtube.com and search reloading basics. Loads of information there. Also on youtube search ammosmith.

8. If you personally know of anyone that reloads ask them to mentor you.

9. BE SAFE!

Did I miss anything guys? I'm sure I did.
Old July 27, 2012, 03:38 PM   #8
tkglazie

Quote:
Abc's of reloading I hear is a good first step.

Then, I would suggest a kit with a turret press or buying a complete setup used. A complete new rig can be way expensive.

Also, it is hard to break even reloading. You need to do it for fun or to make better ammo.
I second the ABCs. Good read.

I would agree that reloading is not a way to save money, per se, but you will be able to shoot more for the same amount of money you were already going to spend. Once you make your initial investment of equipment, you will then be buying reloading components with money that you would previously have spent on factory rounds. A round that may have cost you 75 cents previously you might now be able to make yourself for 30 cents, for example. You havent actually "saved" money because of the initial outlay, but eventually you will recoup your initial investment and be producing more rounds of ammunition per dollar spent than if you only purchased factory ammo. How soon that break even point is reached depends entirely on the cartridges you are loading and the volume of production.

In short, reloading is a good way to maximize whatever money you have to spend on ammo, provided you are able and willing to invest money up front in the hobby.
Old July 27, 2012, 03:45 PM   #9
tkglazie

Quote:
7. Go to youtube.com and search reloading basics. Loads of information there. Also on youtube search ammosmith.
I am not disagreeing with you on this- but I would caution that youtube can be a source of terrible information as well as good information. It is a good way to check out a piece of equipment to get a better idea of how it operates, fits a table, etc. If you are using it for a how-to-reload manual, I recommend using caution and comparing whatever advice you are getting to what you are reading in the manuals. It can be very helpful to see the visual of a concept, but there are some seriously unsafe practices being employed on YT to watch out for.

Be safe, and happy loading.
Old July 27, 2012, 03:53 PM   #10
twins

OP,

My best advice is to find a friend, neighbor, or local shooter at range that reloads. You can read all the books on reloading but it makes a lot more sense if you see it done the first time in person. Then you can decide how much you want to invest in this endeavor since it isn't cheap to start.

Also, what caliber(s) are you looking to reload?
Old July 27, 2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Ideal Tool

Hello, saspas48. I wanted to learn how to handload when I was still in high school..ever since I came across my first handloading books in the school library..of course the fact I didn't have any firearms at the time didn't stop my learning! My sister worked downtown, she checked out Phil Sharpes Complete Guide To Handloading. I problaby wore her arms out re-checking that big book out..I read it cover to cover..Today, I have a couple of signed versions, & find myself re-reading it from time to time. The best thing to do is READ!..and then read some more. Forget the web..there is alot of pure B.S...some very dangerous out there. stick with good loading books.
Start simple..I learned the basics with an old 12 gage Lee loader. Big step up was an old used heavy C-H cast iron "O" press..when I started loading for a .222Rem. Years later, I re-built & re-painted that old press..I use it nearly every day.
Old July 27, 2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Red Dog

Start saving your pennies.
Old July 27, 2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Woody55

Some pretty good advice up there. A reloading "kit" with a single stage press is a good place to start.

You want to start single stage. That way you'll make one mistake at a time instead of 400.

There are going to be some things you do that take a long time. When you are tired of doing them, you'll either realize you don't have to do them or buy a piece of equipment that does them faster. For example, trimming .223 ammo cases and deburring and champfering by hand got old after a while. Eventually, I bought a motorized trimmer and whatever you call the RCBS thing that does the rest to do it. But first I learned I didn't want to do it by hand.

Start with pistol cartridges if you can. They are easier.
Old July 28, 2012, 09:52 AM   #14
Uncle Buck

I started with the Rockchucker kit. It came with a manual, single stage press, powder funnel, cartridge tray, and scale.

I had to buy a pair of calipers, reloading dies, shell holder (Available in most LEE die sets) and probably a few other things to include powder and bullets.

But you need to be warned in advanced: Reloading can be addictive.

When I was paying $1.00 a shot, it got expensive real quick to shoot.

These guys have given you good advice and there is another guy who owns a pizza joint in upstate NY who posts here a lot. He may be able to give you some insight as to where he gets his stuff from. (I know Upstate NY is a pretty big place, also a very pretty place to visit.)
Old July 28, 2012, 12:28 PM   #15
math teacher

You have been advised to get someone to show you how to reload. Go one step further and get that person to watch you do it. Learning by doing is best.
Old July 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #16
flashhole

saspas48 - where in Upstate NY are you located? I'm in the Southern Tier.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 28, 2012, 02:22 PM   #17
NUKE HUNTER

i like the the "kit" idea also. its a good place to start, plus i watched alot of videos on ammosmith.com
Old July 28, 2012, 02:54 PM   #18
bamiller

I'm going to buck the trend here and hopefully don't get chastised too bad for it. I started reloading about a year ago and started with a progressive, not a single stage press, (Dillion RL550B). While I agree 100% that one needs to thorughly study through reloading manuals, videos, and watching veterans I am not in ageeance that one needs to start with a single stage press. I believe if one has a stitch of common sense, sets the press up per the owner's manual, and loads per the reloading manuals that a single stage is a step (and expense) not necessary.
Old July 28, 2012, 04:00 PM   #19
TheNatureBoy

@tkglazie, you are correct ref some of the information on youtube. Ammosmith is legit. His info is the best I've personally seen on the internet.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #20
Uncle Buck

One of the reasons I like the single stage press is the ease of learning and the fact that I can set mine up very quickly, change my powder charges and adjust the seating depths of my loads when I am looking for "The One" that I like best.

When I do find that load, I will switch to a progressive. Tonight I cranked out 500 rounds in about and hour and a half. If I was really in a hurry I probably could have done it in an hour.

Bamiller found something that works for him. He is happy with the results and I know if you asked people who purchased a progressive if they are happy, you will find most of them very satisfied.

Saspas48 asked for opinions and we all chimed in. No right or wrong answers in this case.
Old July 29, 2012, 06:49 AM   #21
flashhole

For loading rifle ammo, I much prefer a single stage press. The trade-off is flexibility for speed. Batch loading works well if you have only one single stage press. I have 3 on my bench, two Ultramags and a Lee Classic Turret. I can set them up for one cartridge if I don't want to batch load and I don't mind the extra handling. Most of the time I have one set up with the Lee Universal Decapper Die and one with the RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Die.

For pistol ammo I prefer to use my Lee Classic Turret but have loaded all the rifle ammo on it as well. On this press I like using the Lee Powder Through Expanding Dies with the Lee Funnel and Lee Dipper Cups for powder charging (rifle and pistol). Very easy and clean way to charge a case and you always know how much powder went in because you filled the dipper yourself. I've just never warmed up to the auto-dispensing powder measures.

Are you ready for civil war?