The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Bwbraven

Whats your Favorite bullet for 300 weatherby

What's your favorite bullet and size for the 300 weatherby. So far my favorite that I've loaded is the Barnes ttsx in 180grain. I've used the nosler accubond but I didn't care for it's terminal performance it had a bigger entry wound than exit.
Old July 25, 2012, 02:32 AM   #2
varmit_hunter

Hi I live in Arkansas I use mine on coyotes and deer. I use imr 4350 and a nosler 125gr BT. I love this load in my 300 wby.
Old July 25, 2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I use 180 gr core lokt, no complaints.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 25, 2012, 01:40 PM   #4
rg1

I shoot Hornady's 150 SP at about 3400 fps and it's accurate in my Mk5. Best shooting bullet I've tried though is Hornady's 180 SP flat based bullet. It's what Weatherby used in their factory loads and what they used for the test target they sent with the rifle. Nothing around here that needs heavier constructed bullets.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Bwbraven

I've shot core-lokt i like those I have some hornady ptbt 165gn loaded but Haven't shot them yet I usually hunt deer with mine and I'm in Arkansas also I have taken it hog hunting before to. I've been looking at trying out the swift scirocco 2
Old July 30, 2012, 11:51 PM   #6
A_Gamehog

Quote:
So far my favorite that I've loaded is the Barnes ttsx in 180grain.
Mine also, combined with the accuracy load from Sierra's 5th ed. using reloader 25
Fed 215M primers do matter.

Killed a few large animals DRT. Nothing ever had wasted meat or explosive fragments. One hole in and one hole out.

Funny some hunters spend thousands on equipment and fuel to scout and hunt but scrimp when it comes to a 30$ box of bullets.

signed,

Jack Benny......
Old July 31, 2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Bwbraven

The Federal 215m primers seem to be a agreed upon great primer for the .300 weatherby.