The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 11, 2010, 05:54 PM   #1
jimjc

S&W Bodyguard with laser

I`m looking for a snubby and I saw a advertisement for the S&W 38+P with laser. Does anyone here have one. How do you like it and do you like the laser. Does the laser go through many batteries and is it bright enough to see easily. I`ve read they take watch batteries, so what could that cost. Do the lasers go out of adjustment from the recoil or are they good now.
Old December 11, 2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Microgunner

I've owned one for a little over 2 months now. The trigger is superior to most S&W J frames built of late. The grips are superior to any 5-shot snubby I've ever fondled. The revolver is reasonably light weight and a joy to carry. I carry mine in a Galco holster and everything that protrudes from the holster is plastic so no corrosion or bare skin irratations. The laser is very bright and has held it's zero after 500 rounds. Still on the original set of batteries and I play with the laser all the time. Only complaints so far are: needed to reshape (round) the plastic cylinder release lever to stop it from snagging on the holster while inserting. A different brand holster may not suffer this defect. And the front of the plastic trigger guard wiggles slightly where it attaches to the aluminum main frame. This revolver has been everything I'd expect from a compact snub nose and more. As a bonus I've noticed the price has dropped a little since I bought mine. I'd buy another if I were in need.

Last edited by Microgunner; December 11, 2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old December 12, 2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Qtiphky

Wife loves hers

While she doesn't carry it concealed regularly, she is very adept at shooting it. The laser was a little goofy at first, but with new batteries it works very well now. It is only double action so the trigger pull is a little heavy, but she can put all 5 rounds into about a tennis ball size grouping at 20 yards. She outshoots everyone in the family with it. Being able to shoot +p rounds makes it a true good carry piece as they can get the job done. The only downside that I see is the 5 shot vs. 6 shot in a revolver. But, realistically, you will only get the first shot off if necessary so everything else is probably just movie lore.
Old December 13, 2010, 12:38 AM   #4
Mosin44az

Qtiphy, your wife is a VERY good shot. I would be nice to her this Holiday season....
Old December 13, 2010, 01:47 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Crimsontrace.com....

In short, Id go to www.Crimsontrace.com and request a product DVD.
Its free and the CT tactics instructor explains in detail all the ins/outs of lasergrips-laser aimers.
I put a new CT lasergrip on my Taurus Protector snub in 12/2004.
S&W uses Insight for the Bodyguard line but a Lasermax or Crimsontrace unit could work on a S&W/Ruger/Taurus small frame revolver.

I see a lot of practical use for the S&W Bodyguard .38spl but would wait for a green dot type to come out or use a pistol with a laser-aimer/light.
Old December 13, 2010, 02:07 AM   #6
Rob228

Microgunner,
In looking at the pictures of the bodyguard, I don't see anything that looks like a cylinder release, where did they hide it?
Old December 13, 2010, 09:29 AM   #7
KyJim

I have the SW Bodyguard. I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to my handguns and view it simply as a tool. A solid, DAO +P revolver for self-defense that I can shoot reasonably well at self-defense distances. I'm still getting used to a laser because my natural reaction is to use the sights. Still on my original batteries. The laser has a strobe like setting that helps conserve the battery. It gets lost in full sunlight but is visible in shade or dimmer settings.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Donaldjr1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228
In looking at the pictures of the bodyguard, I don't see anything that looks like a cylinder release, where did they hide it?
The cylinder release on the Bodyguard 38 is behind the topstrap.
Old December 13, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
That plastic thing on the top.

I might be looking at one to purchase, RSN.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 15, 2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Cajun Ken

I've had my Bodyguard for 6 months and it's a keeper. While unusual in placement, I like the top mounted cylinder release. You do need to decide how you can best activate the laser, then practice doing it until it comes naturally.
Old December 17, 2010, 01:44 PM   #11
ptgarcia

I bought one a couple months ago and really like it. My wife and I both shoot this gun, and with her being right handed and me left handed the location of the cylinder release suits us well. The laser is plenty bright and has worked well thus far.

I'm looking for a holster at this time. Anyone care to post what they're using and your impressions? Have any pictures with the gun holstered?

Thanks!
Old December 17, 2010, 04:57 PM   #12
fdreano

I believe Crimson Trace offered "batteries for life" at one time - they may still do it. Even so, with all the lasers on my weapons, 5 total, I've yet to replace any batteries after a year or more in several cases. The laser sight can get quite dirty on extended shooting and will require cleaning. This usually appears as the red dot appears diffused and 'cloudy'. A quick swab with a Q-tip usually fixes it right up.
Old December 17, 2010, 08:39 PM   #13
chilie23

I've had a 638 with the Crimson Trace grips for 3 years now. Admittedly I don't shoot it as much as my other guns, but I depend on it as a defensive weapon and in the 3 years time I have yet to change the laser battery.
Old December 23, 2010, 03:52 PM   #14
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I'm looking for a holster at this time. Anyone care to post what they're using and your impressions? Have any pictures with the gun holstered?
This Galco is for the 642. Couldn't find one specifically for the BG38 and it took a couple weeks of persuasion to make room for the laser but it fits well now.

Last edited by Microgunner; December 23, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old December 23, 2010, 04:15 PM   #15
ptgarcia

Thanks for the info and picture! I wonder how the fit would be in a left hand configuration (I'm left handed)? I probably just need to hit up one of the local shops and ask them to trial fit an assortment of holsters.
Old December 23, 2010, 06:03 PM   #16
Hook686

Geeeza Louisa ! Five shots from a J-Frame in a tennis ball sized group aT 20 YARDS. I'm lucky if I can keep five shots on a 8 x 10 sheet of paper at 20 yards with a J-Frame. How often, and how long, has she practiced ? Nice shooting.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; December 26, 2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old December 23, 2010, 07:38 PM   #17
shanzlik

I have one and like it quite a bit. The laser works fine but I'm not a big laser guy so I rarely use it. I bought it because I liked the trigger, overall size and feel, and as it turned out the polymer grip seems to help lower the felt recoil to me.

Old December 23, 2010, 08:24 PM   #18
dussandr

I have one and like it, but I dislike the laser activation. I bought it when I went to buy a 442 and the gun shop had just sold the one I had my eye on; I asked to hold the BG, and I liked the weight and polymer frame. Plus, it was mis-priced, so I got it for the price of a 442. After trying to get used to the laser I just took it off and put it in the box, but the basic gun is awesome- nice trigger, it's lightweight, and slim. It doesn't catch on anything drawing it from a pocket holster either.
Old December 24, 2010, 08:41 AM   #19
vito

I added a Crimson Trace to my S&W 640 and I love it. Haven't had it long enough to know if battery life is good or bad. I have always found that a 2in barrel revolver is much harder to aim that I realized and considered it only useful for my self defense at very, very close range. Now with the laser I feel confident that I could hit what I aim at when shooting at more moderate distances that I could likely encounter in a self defense situation.
Old December 26, 2010, 01:00 AM   #20
Hook686

In daylight, how far out can you quickly see the laser dot for a sight picture ? Is this a stationary target distance, or a moving target distance ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 26, 2010, 09:20 AM   #21
vito

The laser red dot is clearly visible in a lit room or area out to further than I would ever consider shooting (the further out from the gun the harder it is to keep the dot from jumping all over the place) but I have not taken the gun outside in daylight to see how the laser works. On one gun that I recently added the Crimson Trace to the gunsmith, when doing other work on the gun, told me he had aligned the laser to a 25 foot distance, but when I went to the range I found it significantly low. Maybe its the way I fire the gun but I found it very easy, using the tiny Allen wrench that Crimson Trace provides, to adjust the aim of the laser to be right in line with my sights.
Old December 26, 2010, 11:14 AM   #22
virg

In daylight, how far out can you quickly see the laser dot for a sight picture ? Is this a stationary target distance, or a moving target distance ?

Not very far! I bright sunlight they're almost impossible to see past a few feet. On cloudy overcast days they can be seen at 15 to 20 yards or so with some effort. They are really meant for low light situations and in-doors.