The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 18, 2006, 10:00 PM   #1
sindiesel666

Signature size...

I have a small suggestion to make.
It involves signature area that, with some TFL members, is populated with 15 or more lines of quotes, guns and rifles owned, pictures and so on.
What happens is when you're trying to follow a certain thread, more often than not, you're forced to scroll over these very long sigs just so that you could read something meaningful that contributes to the thread.

Is there any way to limit these to 1-2 lines max??? Maybe I'm just being anal-retentive here, but I could not care less how many milsurps you owe or what Aristotle said about the Patriot Act. Most people like to be able to quickly get to the point of the thread, and these humongous sigs are just a nuissance.

Thanks....
Old March 18, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I share your opinion on signature size. I think that three or four lines should be sufficient for anyone.

Staff tends to get involved only when there is a flagrant misuse of the signature function. At this point, there is no policy on it - we simply ask members to use their common sense and consider the high signal to noise ratio we strive to uphold.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old March 19, 2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Russ538

One thing you could do is turn signatures off altogether.

Go into User CP at the top left of the screen. Click "edit options" in the menu on the left. Scroll down about half way to a section called "Thread display options". There, you can un-check the "show signatures" option, and the threads will no longer display members' signatures.
Old March 22, 2006, 12:14 AM   #4
RJay

Russ538, Thank you very much, it works. I had the same complaint. I did not know you could edit out these ego signatures. It makes reading the post much easier now. Again thank you for the info.
Old March 22, 2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Russ538

Rjay,

Glad I could help.