The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 9, 2006, 03:11 PM   #1
pittbug

Am I skilled enough to start IDPA?

I've only been to the range about 15 times, but I can shoot 2-3" groups slow fire at 35 feet offhand with a Sig 226 (.40S&W), CZ75 Champion (9mm) and a Kimber Classic (.45ACP). If I speed up to about 1 shot/second my groups open up to about 6" at the same distance.

The only thing I haven't done is draw from a holster or shoot on the move.

Do you think I'd be ok to start IDPA?
Old January 9, 2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Guy B. Meredith

Yes. The club running the competition can direct you to holster practice sessions. The shooting is different than target, but much will be at combat ranges--7 yds to 15 yds. The first few matches everyone will be not only understanding but apprectative if you take it slowly and learn safety.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old January 9, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Dryfire.
Practice the draw, from concealment at that.
Shooting from high and low cover.
Reloading.
Dryfire.
You can start RIGHT NOW and be much more ready by the weekend. Turn off the computer and dryfire.

Then show up and follow instructions.
Don't run before you can walk, LITERALLY.
Old January 9, 2006, 09:58 PM   #4
bp78

I'm thinking of shooting my first IDPA match this Saturday. I've shot for a long time but never competitively, nor shot from odd positions, nor on the move.

I have a P228 I plan on taking, but I don't have a proper holster for it - just a gunshow $15 nylon job and a kydex retention holster I hate. Which might be less offensive for the first timer to bring? I also need to buy some mag carriers.

A guy I met the other day on the range has offered to loan me his extra CZ setup for the match which I shot the other day. It's a very impressive pistol, SA with a nice crisp trigger and improved sights. I understand they class the pistol, hopefully my stock P228 would be in a different class.

Thanks for the advice above, even though I didn't start the thread.
Old January 9, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

bp78,

Don't worry about being competitive if you haven't shot a match before. Everyone wants you to have a chance to get a focused feel for the activity with enough presence of mind to be safe.

As safety becomes an ingrained habit and you gain a sense of the game you will become competitive.

Don't put undue pressure on yourself. Enjoy.

Old January 10, 2006, 12:00 AM   #6
Lycanthrope

If you can keep the muzzle downrange and keep your finger off the trigger while moving and during reloads you are READY!

Go get em'
Old January 10, 2006, 12:23 AM   #7
glockopop

Have you ever injured yourself or others through gross negligence with a gun? No? Then you're ready.
Old January 10, 2006, 12:25 AM   #8
HSMITH

Quote:
If you can keep the muzzle downrange and keep your finger off the trigger while moving and during reloads you are READY!

Go get em'
Absolutely!!!

When you get there tell them you are new, don't try to win the match, and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
Old January 10, 2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Tim Burke

If you are safe and can follow instructions, you are ready for IDPA.

Don't get carried away watching the Master class shooters.
Walk, don't run.
Old January 10, 2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Jim Watson

Bp78, we won't be offended if you show up with a cheap holster. Come on down. You can then order up a good rig. I use Ready Tactical Products Kydex gear, available at
www.pistolpacking.com
Old January 10, 2006, 10:22 PM   #11
Ken O

Another suggestion... call and find out when they are setting up for the match, they always need help, and usually the set up crew shoots through. It is a more laid back time for shooting for the first time. Usually only a few show up for the setup, and the S.O.s will have more time to help you out.
Old January 10, 2006, 11:22 PM   #12
yorec

Quote:
Have you ever injured yourself or others through gross negligence with a gun? No? Then you're ready.
Yep, that about covers it - just go and have fun. Great way to learn what you need to practice at.
Old January 12, 2006, 08:46 AM   #13
Hunter Customs

"Have you ever injured yourself or others through gross negligence with a gun? No? Then you're ready."

The above must not be a requirement at every match. It certainly must not have been at the match where the guy shot himself in the leg.
It was said the gun went off by just touching it. I really find this hard to believe and I have it from a very good source the gun was tested thoroughly. The tester could not make the gun discharge even when he beat on the gun.
When things like this happens it reflects on all gun owners whether we want it to or not.
So above all else practice being safe. If you are shooting at a club that lets safety infractions go unpunished then I would go else where to shoot.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 12, 2006, 10:01 AM   #14
pittbug

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm now on the lookout for a holster as I think I'll use the 5" kimber.

I'll be shooting at the central OH club (www.defensivepistol.org). I went to watch a match a couple of months ago and they had DQ'd a guy for dropping his pistol on the first stage.
Old January 12, 2006, 10:57 AM   #15
9mm1033

pittbug,

Are you going to the match in Grove City this Saturday?
Old January 12, 2006, 11:34 AM   #16
Guy B. Meredith

Action pistol sports are very serious about safety and shooters are DQ'd for even minor infractions. Even for sweeping your own arm while holding a retention strap out of the way to reholster.

Spend the first match avoiding disqualification. Could be an expensive 10 minutes or less. If you are disqualified, show your sportsmanship by remaining to assist during the rest of the match. You will win big points and have a chance to learn.

The incredible thing is that the majority of our fellow shooters ARE genuine sportspersons (gotta get MORE ladies in) and are very accepting of their own disqualification under circumstances where participants in other sports would go into a blazing frenzy.

We are truly an outstanding group of people for the most part, setting an excellent example for others in our sports and elsewhere.

Old January 12, 2006, 12:17 PM   #17
pittbug

9mm103: No I'm staying here in Pittsburgh this weekend, but hopefully I'll be able to make the one next month.
Old January 13, 2006, 02:54 AM   #18
CraZkid

I was hessitant to start IPSC, becasue I wanted to get better first. Then someone told me you can't win if you don't play. Sounds like you are packing some serious iron. Who recommended those to you?
Old January 13, 2006, 08:13 AM   #19
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Are you going to the match in Grove City this Saturday?
Where is that?

Pittbug, there are several ranges near Pittsburgh that run IDPA and USPSA as well. We're shooting some indoor USPSA and IDPA stages this wednesday about 50 miles north of you if you want a primer.
Old January 13, 2006, 09:22 AM   #20
9mm1033

Grove City, OH. Not Grove City, PA. It's a SW suburb of Columbus.
Old January 13, 2006, 12:10 PM   #21
pittbug

CraZkid: They're all my in-laws guns. If I didn't shoot and clean them they'd just sit in the safe.

Lycanthrope: I don't own a gun, I shoot my in-laws guns which are stored in Columbus, OH, otherwise I'd love to check out the local areas.
Old January 14, 2006, 11:55 PM   #22
bp78

Shot my first match tonight. Basically, I'm hooked.
4 stages, including one night setup including a BUG.
Finished 2nd in SSP/unrated. 12th overall out of 46.
A lot of fun and learned a lot. Now to get an approprate holster setup.

edit: Got caught up in the results of last night since didn't expect to do that well. More importantly, I should have also noted that I didn't have any safety infractions or warnings - i just managed to shoot fairly well even though I was slower than a lot of guys.
I did see a stage end prematurely, some procedural mistakes, a muzzle sweep that was quickly called out by the SO.
I pasted for a while on a couple stages just to watch others shoot through.

Last edited by bp78; January 15, 2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old January 15, 2006, 01:56 AM   #23
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Lycanthrope: I don't own a gun, I shoot my in-laws guns which are stored in Columbus, OH, otherwise I'd love to check out the local areas.
I have an extra 1911 next time younz is in da burgh.
Old January 16, 2006, 12:24 PM   #24
pittbug

Lycanthrope: I live in Bethel, thanks very much for the offer, very kind of you, but unfortunately this week I'm up to my eyeballs at work.
Old January 17, 2006, 06:09 PM   #25
UziAnnie

Shot my first IPSC match a couple of weeks ago. First time to move, reload and draw from a holster. Learned a lot of stuff, had a blast and did not come in last!
Go for it!!!!! Just be safe!