The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2005, 02:22 PM   #1
SkariSpeak

12g Magnum Loads, in a NoN Rated 12g....

Hello. I shoot a Mossberg 500 12g. I let my brother in law borrow it. I found out he was using 3" Buckshot Magnum loads through it. Now this shotgun isnt magnum rated, how much damage could he have done? I dont have time to shoot it at the moment, but I took it apart and everything "Looks" fine.
Old October 16, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
mgdavis

As long as the shotgun is chambered for 3" shells, no damage will have been done. "Magnum" in a shotgun does not equate to the difference between .38 sp and .357 magnum loads. Rather, it signifies a larger payload (IIRC). I don't belive that you can even chamber an over-length shell.
Something that is possible is to chamber a 20ga shell in a 12ga pumpgun. If you inadvertantly load a 20ga shell into the magazine, I think they travel past the chamber, fail to fire, fail to eject, and then act as a barrel obstruction when you try to fire the next round (KABOOM).
Old October 17, 2005, 07:18 PM   #3
SkariSpeak

The 500 mossy I have can chamber 2 3/4 shells and 3" shells.

I knew their was not a size difference, however I thought of it more like...................

Shooting 38sp+P in a light weight revolver that was not designed for the hotter loads, things can fall apart fast.

Just wondering if that was true with shotguns, if thier were magnum rated, and non magnum rated...
Old October 18, 2005, 05:17 PM   #4
salber01

simple answer

"3 chamber means magnum(basically), you need not worry the moss 500 is a tank, just don't try those 3 1/2 inchers
Old October 19, 2005, 02:02 AM   #5
kojak

Well, if you only have a 2 3/4" chamber you can still insert 3" shells. The length is measured after the shell has opened, unfired 3" shells are ca. 2 1/2" in length. When fired the shell will open and - as the chamber is too short - will reach into the barrel just a tiny amount, but enough to increase pressure to dangerous levels.
Old October 19, 2005, 01:24 PM   #6
9mmMike

Quote:
Well, if you only have a 2 3/4" chamber you can still insert 3" shells. The length is measured after the shell has opened, unfired 3" shells are ca. 2 1/2" in length. When fired the shell will open and - as the chamber is too short - will reach into the barrel just a tiny amount, but enough to increase pressure to dangerous levels.
Ditto. If it did not blow up, it is likely to be fine. Bad brother in law! Bad!
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 19, 2005, 02:03 PM   #7
ClarkEMyers

My experience is it's harder on the shooter than on the gun-

My experience is it's harder on the shooter than on the gun-

Certainly it is unwise to jam over long shells into the chamber - though they will fit and we could go into folded or rolled crimp issues and beyond - but notice that here magnum often refers to weight of shot which may or may not mean extra pressure but as noted the gun is solid and chambered for the 3" shell so I'd let the shooter do as he pleases and hope he flinches next time I shot clay birds against him.

I'd say something quite different given a featherweight best gun of English make chambered for 2-1/2" shells and with paper thin barrels but the Mossberg is robust.

I once had an acquantance who thought the more powerful the better. So he bought a new Mossberg and extreme goose loads for clay birds - after he decided the gun hurt too much he swung it at a fence. Dented the magazine tube so it wouldn't feed too well but the gun was otherwise fine. One of my more profitable trades.
Old October 19, 2005, 04:21 PM   #8
mgdavis

Quote:
I don't belive that you can even chamber an over-length shell.
Sorry about the bad info, I forgot about the crimp. Listen to these other guys, sounds like they've got their act together.