The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2004, 10:56 PM   #1
Scott5

More Powder

Hello All;
Do I need a cure for this or what??
Most of this year I was on this -buy gobs of bullets- binge, then when I think I have enough I go on a powder buying binge.
I can't go on a gun buying binge because that takes money away from components
So I guess I'll have to go on a shooting binge at the local range I search of a cure .
Is there a cure for this or am I stuck with just this temparary therapy?

Scott5
Old December 18, 2004, 11:08 PM   #2
rwilson452

Cure?

Sorry, friend. once bitten there is no cure, just temporary relief ( at the bench). Once you step away form the bench the itch just starts up again. all you can do is "scratch the itch"
Old December 18, 2004, 11:57 PM   #3
Austin Charles

My cure was when the wife found out just how much I was spending on reloading

Her first words were you said that this saves you money

Now instead of spending money on reloading first I will buy her something, then buy the powder or bullets. works for me
Old December 19, 2004, 12:28 AM   #4
Danindetroit

The list of addictions continues to grow on TFL, the dreaded milsurp, now, the little talked about, powder, or bullets/cases/primers, debate, which is more addictive?
Old December 19, 2004, 07:02 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

confession

I'm addicted to information, and XL650 toolheads all set up with powder-checks and powder measures and die sets.....I keep the shop door locked, but I think my wife knows.....
Old December 19, 2004, 10:04 AM   #6
hawk

I did an inventory of my primers last night and found I had only a thousand fewer small pistol primers than I did when I inventoried in July. This seemed strange since I shoot 200 rounds a week.

I know I probably bought primers at gun shows and the local shop within the last 6 months but I just can't remember doing it.

Please tell me there's hope for me.
Old December 19, 2004, 10:19 AM   #7
Leftoverdj

It's only an addiction whan you have more than a three year supply. If you dip under a one year supply, it's a shortage.

There are two possible solutions to the marital problem. The first is to finance your hobby with income from side jobs that she can't track. The second is to throw her out. That worked well for me, but it may be a matter of personal priorities.
Old December 20, 2004, 11:41 PM   #8
Scott5

"It's only an addiction whan you have more than a three year supply. If you dip under a one year supply, it's a shortage."

I disagree with that one, I think more like a five year supply is more like it.

There are two possible solutions to the marital problem. The first is to finance your hobby with income from side jobs that she can't track. The second is to throw her out. That worked well for me, but it may be a matter of personal priorities.

I strongly disagree with this on. If I can find a woman that loves to shoot like I do then I can get her addicted to.

Is that cool or what?

Scott5
Old December 22, 2004, 08:42 AM   #9
griz

I am NOT addicted. I could stop any time if I wanted to.
Old December 22, 2004, 10:52 AM   #10
.45 Vet

I agree with griz, in fact I have quit.... Many times. But I find myself returning to the fold after every range session...
Old December 22, 2004, 09:39 PM   #11
HSMITH

No worries at all until you have over 100 pounds of powder on hand. 20K or more bullets or one caliber might be a cause for an evaluation, anything less than 100K total bullets is totally normal. If you have less than 10K primers you need to evaluate your priorities, you only NEED to eat once a day after all. Brass, when you need to reinforce your shelving to hold the weight of the brass it isn't a problem, you just need to move some to another area leaving a few thousand readily accessible.

It is all about perspective.