The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2004, 02:52 PM   #1
frag

It's a diesease

I went to the range the other day, and spent more time picking up brass then I did shooting! Does anyone else have this illness?
Old December 13, 2004, 02:57 PM   #2
kkb

Yup
Old December 13, 2004, 03:08 PM   #3
eka

You do that too!!

I thought it was just me.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old December 13, 2004, 03:13 PM   #4
yorec

Hack, cough...

Infected.
Old December 13, 2004, 03:29 PM   #5
frag

It's nice to know I'm not alone. I think I have enough 9mm, 45, and 40 brass to last at least thru the end of the decade!
Old December 13, 2004, 03:35 PM   #6
bill k

I see people do that all the time, but what do they do with it. I'll generally get rid of any brass I've reloaded 4 times. I guess I'm paranoid about failures.
Is there a firm rule about when to discard brass or when to keep it.
Old December 13, 2004, 04:04 PM   #7
Cazach

Whats even worse is that I get all of the non-reloaders to help me pick up brass.

Now when they see me, they offer handfuls at a time.
Old December 13, 2004, 06:10 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

brass vultures

Yeah, I collect anything I can get my hands on. Most of it I don't use, but it all makes perfectly good scrap brass. I just make sure there is not one single Commie milsurp steel case in the bunch, pack 'em into ice cream buckets, and off to the scrap metal dealer along with the dead car batteries and the aluminum cans.

Better that than it gets wasted, which is what happens to most of it if left on the ground @ the range.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 14, 2004, 01:43 AM   #9
xmastree

I and everybody I know picks up their brass after shooting.

During competitions, we hire young boys to pick up the shells (pick-up boys???), stick tape on the targets and stand the poppers back up again.
Old December 14, 2004, 09:09 AM   #10
AustinMike

It's a good day when I leave the range with more brass than I got there with! The ranges around here though actually have rules against picking up brass that's not your own and enforce them! It's another source of profit for them; they bag it up and sell it. If the range officer sees you scavenging brass, you will get barked at. At the indoor range here, they will scurry up to a shooter stand immediately after somebody leaves and sweep all the brass up. I've countered by going up to somebody when I them packing up and asking them if I may have their brass if they're leaving it. I'll ask them to tell the range officer that they have chosen to do that.

There's been a few times where I've gotten the range to give me brass. I've had some loads in my .44 Desert Eagle that kicked shells out in such a way that a large number bounced off the wall and forward of the shooter stand at the indoor range. Since I can't go get them, I've gone and told the range officer and they've given me replacements! Not a bad deal - I ain't picky about the type of brass!
Old December 14, 2004, 10:29 AM   #11
hivel37

Yeah buddy! Monday morning's the time to be there. Those working stiffs shoot on weekends and don't have time to reload. Just have to beat the other brass buzzards out there!
Old December 14, 2004, 10:16 PM   #12
Gatofeo

Oh yeah, long time sufferer. No cure. I blame the American Bar Association and, more specifically, tort lawyers. (It's about time somebody started suing their greedy butts for a change!)

There is a closely related disease as well: Clepo-plumbum (in Latin, "lead stealer").
Whenever I visit the local gravel pit, I walk up to the bank to post targets. Before even firing a single shot, suddenly I'm collecting lead bullets off the hillside. Sometimes, when lead projectiles are plentiful, I've spent as much as an hour picking up lead --- and my gun is still unfired!
Ohhhhh ... my brothers ... it's a terrible disease. Surely I'll burn in the nether regions in the Devil's casting pot!
Old December 14, 2004, 10:44 PM   #13
brokenfeather

Me too

Does asking customers, when they purchase ammo from me, to bring me their empties count as being infected?
Old December 14, 2004, 11:07 PM   #14
OfcrBill

just ask my wife...

I can literally spend all weekend there if it wasn't for having to eat and go to the bathroom (and the wife asking if I am done yet)...brass is never a problem here as it is just as plentiful as crooked defense attorneys. I find it very relaxing I'm still trying to get the wife hooked, already got her shooting.
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63
Old December 15, 2004, 05:26 PM   #15
Desert Dog

My name is Mike and I have a problem. I am a brassaholic...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 15, 2004, 05:35 PM   #16
bill k

If you want to reload spent brass you found at the range, be my guest. My hunting partner left about 25 spent .243 rounds at the range a couple of hours ago.
Keep in mind that when he fired one round the case split in two in the middle, leaving the forward half in the rifle. He said he'd never seen that happen before, but it did today. He was lucky it came right out.
He said he was only on his forth or so reload on that brass.
Old December 15, 2004, 05:50 PM   #17
Doerdie

I may be weird or just a neat freak, but I pick all my casings as I can after shooting at my club. I use aluminun and steel cased ammo, it all goes in the trash.

Last edited by Doerdie; December 15, 2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old December 24, 2004, 02:52 PM   #18
PDshooter

OH!!!!!!! [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] I thought I was the only one out there!!!
Old December 26, 2004, 11:11 AM   #19
Peter M. Eick

Sometimes I pick up range brass, but it is a lot more fun to "let it fly" and not worry about it. I just love to dump my old used up beat on brass at the range. It is particularly fun to see the 357sig rounds flying! I was out last week just dumping brass that was on its last legs. I had been testing out hot reloads and the pressure rings were getting a bit excessive. Time to dump the stuff.

Anyway, just remember the brass you pick up may look ok, but who know what some hot rodder may have done to that stuff on the last reload?

Just a thought....
Old December 26, 2004, 11:32 AM   #20
AustinMike

I also "dump" my old crappy brass at the range. When I'm scavenging brass, I keep in mind that I'm not the only one who does that. However, there's nothing better than having someone next you shooting factory loads and leaving all that once-fired brass behind!
Old December 26, 2004, 01:34 PM   #21
Desert Dog

Fortunately it is pretty easy to discern once-fired brass from "multi-loaded, stressed, worn-out brass... At least it is for me. I do separate the range brass of dubious origin with the obvious once-fired.

Heck, my best friend and I go wandering the desert outside of ABQ to known shooting areas, just to go brass hunting... You would be surprised at what people "leave" in the desert.

One time we went to a well used target spot to find PILES of once-fired 10mm, .223, .308, and quite a few .50 BMG...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson