The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2015, 02:34 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Pistol press suggestions

I used to have a Dillon 550 when I was into bullseye competition.

Sold it when I retired and had been using my brother's RCBS Rockchucker for a number of years, but he took it back when he got back into shooting.

So now I am without a press, but still have all my die set ups for .38 revolver, .38 wadcutter, .45 and 9mm.

So looking for a press for pistol only.
Do the smaller RCBS presses perform as well as the bigger rockchucker models? Not familiar with the partner or other smaller ones.

Don't have any experience with the Lee presses. Should I be considering them too. Do they take the same dies?
Old August 17, 2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I've been using my "Reloader Special 2 (RS2)" pretty consistently since 1984; if that's any indication to its durability. I think the current unit is a RS5 now.
Old August 17, 2015, 03:05 PM   #3
DaleA

Hey HVR, I'm a big fan of RCBS stuff, most of my reloading equipment comes from them.

I can understand selling off the 550 if you aren't shooting that much any more but I wonder if you wouldn't like a turret press?

Not as nice as your old Dillon but certainly faster than a single stage. Lots of folk have recommended the Lee Classic Turret and they usually make sure to NOT recommend the Lee Deluxe Turret. I've never used a turret but they look like they would have satisfied me instead of my progressive press.

The Redding T7 might be way more than you want but it sure looks good.

Disclosure: I've never used a turret press but I kind of wish I would have tried one instead of buying a progressive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/588...ProductFinding

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/...-press-review/
Old August 17, 2015, 03:21 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

If you are not brand picky I would suggest the Lee Classic Turret. It is a great press for any amount of money. I am happy with mine. Though all but two of my dies sets are Lee dies with the powder through expander that the powder measure drops through. The other two I use a funnel in the empty hole in the turret. On a side note I also can load .45-70 Gov't. on it with no problems at all.
Old August 17, 2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking our advice.

You already know that the Rockchucker is overkill (as far as leverage and strength of the press goes) for the chamberings you listed. The lesser RCBS presses will do fine, though you may have to push a little harder on the operating lever. I loaded for several months on an RCBS Jr and traded up to a Rockchucker only because I had the opportunity, not because I was in any way dissatisfied with the press.

The Lee Classic Cast is very nearly as strong as the RCBS Rockchucker and handles spent primers MUCH better.

Depending on the quantities you want to load, I would suggest returning to the Dillon. You are familiar with it and it will hold its value for your retirement or for your heirs.

Whether you liked the single stage experience or not, you might consider a turret. Any brand can be operated as a single stage if you want. The Lee Turret is able to automatically advance the turret to the next die if you want (which makes continuous processing like a progressive press convenient-though you do not get one cartridge per handle pull as you do with a true progressive press). Caliber swaps are much easier on a turret if you have spare turret disks and changing dies (without readjustment) is dead simple.

Any of the common presses (except the Dillon Square Deal) will take standard dies from any of the common manufacturers. This applies to progresseives, turrets and single stages with no exceptions that I know of except the Square Deal). The loading industry settled on the same thread size and pitch long ago.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; August 17, 2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Add title line
Old August 17, 2015, 09:39 PM   #6
THEWELSHM

Try a RCBS jr 3 used about $70 used with a lifetime warranty.plan B get a Hornady single stage, plan C get a cast iron Lee.

I load on an RCBS JR 3 single stage and a Hornady Lnl progressive both are great

Thewelshm
Old August 17, 2015, 10:36 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

Thanks everyone.
I found a Rock Chucker for a decent price, and since the dies are already set up for it, thought it would just be simpler that way, and I would never have to second guess my choice as I am already set up for it and like the heftier leverage.
Old August 18, 2015, 12:23 AM   #8
DaleA

Sounds like a plan. As you already know you really can't go wrong with an RCBS Rock Chucker.

Good luck!
Old August 18, 2015, 06:45 AM   #9
cecILL

RCBS had a conversion unit to make the Rock Chucker into a progressive press.
Old August 18, 2015, 07:18 AM   #10
TimSr

I still have my original Partner press I started out with. It has always worked great for pistol cartridges. A little more work though with 45LC. Uselss for rifle cartridges. I broke the handle on mine doing 30-06 which RCBS replaced. They also don't have much leverage for priming on the press.
Old August 18, 2015, 08:32 AM   #11
F. Guffey

I have a Partner press, I do not use it but I have it 'just in case'. I also have 'U', 'O' and 'C' presses from Herters with a 6 position turret. I also have a Little Lee Press. I do not use it but 'JIC'. Then there are the Rock Chuckers, I know, I should complain, my Rock Chuckers do not cam over, not a problem, if my Rock Chuckers cammed over they would not work with my Piggy Back attachments.

I have two Rock Chuckers that I use with Piggy Back 11 attachments, complete with lock-out dies.

F. Guffey