The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
bgibb42

SNS Casting coated bullets

I'm fairly new to reloading, and just started shooting IDPA as well, and I'd like to lower my costs so I can keep shooting. Has anybody used the coated bullets from SNS casting? What are your thoughts about these bullets?
Old October 13, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Welcome to TFL!

I have 100 left out of 1000 9mm and 175 left out of 500 45.

The 9mm is the 125 GRN FP. When I finally worked out my load they were very accurate.

I prepared my cases properly including a chamfer and they did not peel while loading. They have a decent lube. I noticed they don't do any more leading of the barrel than other brands unless you get them hot (normal with lead).

Hoppe's #9 works well for removing any lead if you dip a brass brush in and scrub for a few minutes.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; October 13, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old October 13, 2013, 08:19 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

I haven't used anything from SNS, but I haven't heard anything bad about the various powder-coated bullets available.
Try some.
Old October 13, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
bgibb42

Quote:
The 9mm is the 125 GRN FP. When I finally worked out my load they were very accurate.
Did you find there was any real difference in load data when using 125 vs. 124 grain bullets? This is the round I will be reloading as well.
Old October 13, 2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Did you find there was any real difference in load data when using 125 vs. 124 grain bullets? This is the round I will be reloading as well.
Not likely any if the bullet type is the same. IE cast RNFP 124 GRN VS. cast RNFP 125 GRN. From My experience most 125 Grain are cast.

Basically if the material is the same (cast), bullet type (shape) is the same and there is only 1 GRN different in bullet weight, The charge should be pretty near identical.
Old October 14, 2013, 02:42 AM   #6
JustSomeGuy

I have used SNS bullets for some years now, but always the lubed variety. I have written them about any concerns regarding velocity limits of these vs. their lubed bullets as I have recently built a pistol in 9X23 caliber and have only used jacketed bullets in it so far (MG JHP 124grn) with excellent results. I don't know what they consider to be a velocity "ceiling" in their .356 plated bullets but lead can be driven pretty fast if it fits the bore well. If they can be pushed over 1400fps they might make for a less expensive practice round. We shall see.

Has anyone here used these at higher pressures and velocities in any gun that uses .356 bullets?
Old October 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #7
QuarterHorse

I just finished my non coated SnS bullets off and am starting to load their coated bullets. We'll see how they run. I'm betting like their other bullets these will do well too.
Old May 18, 2014, 01:27 PM   #8
HiTechRob

SNS Casting Coated Bullets

I have reloaded 1000 of the 125-RN Coated bullets and used Red Dot powder w/ 4.0-4.1 grains. I had to seat to 1.090 max COL to get my Glock 34 to cycle reliably. Very accurate and clean on the barrel.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:59 AM   #9
ghbucky01

I've been using them, and haven't seen any difference. Much cleaner to handle.

Per SNS, use the exact same load data as your normal lead rounds, the only caveat is to make sure that you expand the case mouth sufficiently wide so that you peel off the coating when you seat the bullet.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Nick_C_S

I have bought / used SNS coated and conventional lead/lubed bullets. Not for 9mm, but for 38 Special.

I use the 148 DEWC's. They are extremely accurate and are a fine product. That said however, it's apples n oranges, and doesn't necessarily translate to 9mm.

Cast (or coated) 9mm bullets tend to have accuracy issues. It's all about fit, barrel groove diameter, yadda yadda yadda. I'll let the good folks with more experience loading cast 9mm to address that.

Getting back to the coated bullets that I've used. I do indeed like loading them. They are very quick and easy to load because there's no excessive lube to deal with, and gumming up your die. They also don't lead up the barrel. (Another long discussion embedded in that last sentence.)

What I don't like about them - and this is a pretty much show-stopper for me - is the smoke/smell that comes off them when shooting. They say they don't smoke up like lead/lubed bullets, but that's simply not true. They do smoke, albeit not as much. But the smell of that smoke is just awful - very similar to burning electrical insulation. It's not pleasant in the least. I'd much rather smell burning lube.

I bought 1000 of the coated DEWC's. I've shot about 150 or so. I'll shoot the remaining 850, but I'm in no hurry. I have tons of other conventional lead/lubed DEWC's in my inventory.

The coated bullets probably wouldn't be too bad in an IDPA environment because you're not shooting round after round and smoking up the area. Just a side thought there.

I will sing high praises for SNS in general. They have fine products and are very prompt delivering their product. I like the way they conduct business - very much so.