The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 18, 2012, 12:30 PM   #51
JimDandy

Quote:
My hometown school has 450-ish kids, K-12. Two buildings. Two armed guards, full time, plus part-time coverage, say 4 total, conservatively. Average salary of say 25k. That's $100,000. The entire population is only a couple thousand people. You'd be asking them to pay $500/person. A family of 4 would be paying $2,000 a year. No way that's happening.
I've been in towns that small, and would point out they get funding from the state... so that 500 per person is actually a much smaller number from everyone statewide. 450 students, K-12. The days of the one room schoolhouse are long gone. K-(max) 8 may have one teacher per grade. 9-12 will certainly have more, as the teachers speciaize in their departments. But even allowing for 12 teachers for 13 grades, that's 25K a year x 12 is 300K a year for 1500 per person, and 6,000 for a family of four. Do you think they're paying that just in school taxes already? Lest we forget that's long before you start talking about other operating costs like janitorial, utilities, administration, and extra curiculars. Almost no small-town school survives on local tax dollars.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:39 PM   #52
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They're not surviving on local taxes alone but that makes the situation worse instead of better.

That means that the state would have to be funding the program. A state that's already bordering on bankruptcy, already has some of the highest unemployment in the nation and nearly the highest property and school taxes.

My numbers are also extremely conservative. I've posted a similar response in another thread with researched numbers for State Police officers, which is the only realistic way that rural schools are going to get officers, and the average salary is over $100k. I even used $60k as an example in that thread and it's still very conservative. Even so, $60k makes it more than twice as bad. Reality would be worse yet.

It's completely unrealistic.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:47 PM   #53
JimDandy

I don't disagree, armed guards at a school was unrealistic. Just that your reasoning wasn't as sound as it should be.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:26 AM   #54
Hal

190,496 signatures as of 8:20am.
Old December 19, 2012, 10:55 AM   #55
mayosligo

To put the numbers in perspective. The NRA Facebook page has 1.7 million members.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #56
Tactical Jackalope

I signed it.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:40 AM   #57
JimDandy

You signed a petition to have the government come take your Rock River AR-15, 20 and 30 round mags, and quite possibly all your 1911's as well? Well at least they'll pay you rock-bottom prices for all your hardware?

Last edited by JimDandy; December 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:47 AM   #58
Glenn E. Meyer

Just complaining about Piers Morgan with no content isn't really worth it.

Yeah, he may be but let's have substantial conversation.

Thanks

GEM
Old December 19, 2012, 12:23 PM   #59
colorsman

I have put on my Edgar Cayce hat and have seen the following happening over the next four years:

Congress will pass an assault weapon ban similar to the Clinton era ban

This is all the Obama administration will need to issue executive orders in increasing severity on firearms covered by the act.

1) Ban the manufacture of these firearms
2) Ban the commercial sale of any existing firearms / parts / supplies
3) Ban the private sale of any existing firearms / parts / supplies
4) Order that owners turn in these firearms to the government ( they will not need to come after the guns as a law will be passed that says something along the line ‘possession will be a felony in involving serious prison time’ attrition over time will take these firearms out of circulation.).
5) Begin to tax ammunition on the level that cigarettes are taxed
6) Encourage state and local governments to add additional taxes on ammunition

The Supreme Court already has four rabidly anti gun judges on the bench. Obama will be adding at least two more during his administration. Any gun case appearing before this new court will lose.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:24 PM   #60
Tom Servo
Staff

We've got two other threads running on the Sandy Hook shootings, so let's confine our discussion to those.
Closed Thread