The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Scribe

Safety question.

Hi chaps,

first post on the handloading forum. I have a an Armi Chiappa, 92 action, in .44 Remington Magnum and want to start lhand loading for it. I have an old, never opened, tin of Hercules 2400 with some corrosion spots on the metal top. Would this be safe to use? It has been sitting in my garage for at least 15 years.

If it is ok, any suggestions for
a) a fairly pokey load for range shooting out to 200 yards and
b), and some thing less noisy and more civilised for shooting at 25 yards.
The 25 yard range I have access to is open air with banked sides and the last time I shot there I got some good natured ribbing about when I was planning to hunt T Rex.
Old July 29, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
colt1911com

I have an old Hi skor 700x 1 pound can of powder still 1/4 full and it is also metal with corrosion spots and I am going to use it. I think its 20 years old wish me luck?
Old July 29, 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Ozzieman

As far as old powder, does it have an odd smell? If it does then scrap it. Also if there is any color to the powder other than grayish black scrap it. If your garage is like mine and not heated then it’s been from freezing to over 110 F how many times?
Might not be perfect condition. Just be sure to start on the light side and work up and look for pressure signs.
You can find many loads at the following alliant web site but if you’re going to try to push a 44 mag rifle out to 200 yards, for target, Good luck!
With a 200 Gr at 2000 FPS which is attainable out of a rifle and the gun sighted at 100 yards you’re talking about a bullet drop of 16 inches or more depending on the ballistic coefficient of the bullet.
The best accuracy I have ever gotten out of any of my 44 mag rifles (the best was a Ruger 77/44) was 3 inches at 100 and that was with a lot of load development. With 3 inches at 100 I don’t know what that would equate to at 200 but my guess would be best described as “the inability to hit the right side of the barn”.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...33&bulletid=54
For light plinking loads I use Herco on the lower end with lead. It’s like shooting a 30 carbine.