The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 29, 2006, 02:49 PM   #1
zamboxl

keep gettign signed off

Whats with this forum Everytime well alot of times when i am done reading a thread, and i reload back to the main forum page i look at the name field and i notice i am no longer signed in. Whats the deal?
Old March 29, 2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Check to see if your cookies are turned off. The site plants a cookie so that it can remember you when you refresh or go to another thread, but can't do that if they're turned off.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 29, 2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

... also, even if you are using cookies and you take a lot of time between activities, you can be auto-logged off. There is about a 20 minute timeout period. If you don't do anything in that time period, you're logged off.

There is a way to prevent it, however. When you login, be sure to check off the "Remember me" checkbox. You'll still be logged off, but with your next action (new page, refresh, etc.) the login will be automatic and transparent.
Old March 29, 2006, 04:53 PM   #4
tyme
Staff

When you login, if you see any sort of &s=....(long hexadecimal value) in the URL bar, TFL can't set cookies in your browser. Or, it's possible that it can set cookies, but something is keeping your browser from sending cookies back to TFL... certain overly-protective firewalls or proxies might do that.

In that case, TFL will try to add that &s=...(long hex value) to all urls on the page, so that when you click links you stay logged in. If you navigate back to a page before you logged in, that &s=value will disappear.

If you then click on a link on a page that doesn't have &s=value in the url, that link didn't have &s=value either. You'll have lost your session and you'll have to login again. (It's still in your browser cache and/or the browser's url log, probably, but it would no longer be accessible with the browser's forward/back buttons.)
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)