The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 17, 2002, 08:23 AM   #1
Deadman

Largest hog hunted?

In the latest edition of an Australian sporting shooters magazine it has a small section on a 250KG ( approx 550 pounds ) hog taken out in Iran -

" This 250KG pig was shot by Harvay Kivijian in Charmahal Isfahan, Iran. While taking visiting brother John Kivijan on a 4WD trip, Harvay shot the pest at 800m with a BRNO ZKK600 in .270 fitted with a Leupold 4-9x scope. The projectile used to take down the feral was a 130-grain RWS H mantel.
Pigs in this area cause considerable damage to crops and, as the local farmers' religion prohibits them from touching pigs, hunters are encouraged to assist in their eradictation.
One leg of this massive grunter was roasted in a pot with salt and herbs for six hours and fed 35 people. "

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner so I can't show you the picture, but it is one massive hog. To give you an idea of size, the hunter must be kneeling on his knees and ankles, with his buttocks resting on said ankles. Only his upper shoulders, neck and head are visible.
And you could definately ride this thing like a mule.

So a question for everyone, what is the largest hog you know of that has been hunted?
Old January 17, 2002, 11:09 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I saw a photo of a sow shot in the South Texas brush country that did indeed look like it could weigh 549 pounds. They showed a boar of 460 pounds.

Art
Old January 17, 2002, 02:01 PM   #3
MP-44

I saw a picture of one that was taken with a spear in Florida. The caption stated it was 600lbs. It was huge.
Old January 17, 2002, 10:35 PM   #4
swsurgeon

Rancho San Luis had a booth at an outdoor show I attended in the mid-80s. They were showing pictures of a 735 pounder shot on their property. Looked like a damn buffalo!

I've heard of bigger, but haven't seen the photos. You might do an archive search in the hog hunting forum at www.huntamerica.com
Old January 18, 2002, 05:58 PM   #5
dZ

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~arimcc/pig/yphotos2.htm