The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2010, 08:14 AM   #1
gregjc9

Precision Delta

I thought I would give them a try. Ordered 2k 115gr 9mm bullets on 4/19, have not heard nor seen anything yet, so I sent off an email inquiring the status. I expect I will be staying with Berry's from now on. The few bucks I (may) save with PD isnt worth the aggravation and frustration from their lack of CS.

Greg
Old May 16, 2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Clark500

Have you tried calling?

(800) 337-3621

I have never ordered from them but was contemplating doing so. Your feedback may be my deciding factor. Please keep us updated on your situation.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Rig Magician

I ordered 3K 230 FMJ .45 from them and had no problems, They were delivered within 2 weeks.
Mark
Old May 16, 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Dodge DeBoulet

Took just a little over 2 weeks to get my 2K 230gr .45 FMJ. It's a bit frustrating not to know the status of your order, but they were very up front about delivery times when I called them shortly after faxing in my credentials. They told me 3-4 weeks but I got them in less than that.

Also please remember that these are FMJ, where as Berry's are plated. I can't understand why Berry's would charge more, other than perhaps name recognition.
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard
Old May 16, 2010, 12:32 PM   #5
TXGunNut

Dealt with them many times when I was shooting PPC awhile back, doubt they've changed much. Good folks but they did get behind at times, probably still a relatively small company. They won't sacrifice quality for increased production. Lots of comp shooters getting ready for a busy season, suspect they're a bit more behind than usual.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

You need to call rather than email. They don't have time to pilfer through emails at the workload they have. They were upfront with me on their backlog status and shipped my bullets when promised.

There's a reason why they're backlogged. It's because they're about the cheapest quality FMJ bullets out there. I'm willing to be patient with a company that's loaded down and provides an attractive price.

You want Berry's? By all means, buy from them. That'll only move all of our orders up one more spot....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 16, 2010, 06:35 PM   #7
rbernie

I have bought close to 20K bullets from Precision Delta over the years. Never had reason to complain AT ALL.

For what you get for your money, a little patience is well worth it.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:42 PM   #8
gregjc9

Guess I'm just used to dealing with companies that respond to emails, and ship within a reasonable time. 1 month doesnt seem reasonable, especially when their web site showed the bullets were in stock. If they are backlogged, then state so on their web site, that is one of the reasons for having a web site. I'll try calling them tomorrow.

Greg
Old May 17, 2010, 10:16 AM   #9
gregjc9

I talked to them this am, my order wont go out for another 4-5 weeks.

Greg
Old May 17, 2010, 06:59 PM   #10
Sevens

My experience

After considering PD for quite a long time... I finally pulled the trigger on an order from them on March 11th. I ordered 1,000 124gr FMJ 9's and 1,000 180gr FMJ 10's. (their minimum order is 2,000 bullets, but they will let you grab a thousand of two different) When I put my order in, I got a confirmation e-mail.

After 4 weeks, I sent them an e-mail as I had heard zilch. All were shown as "in stock" when I ordered, too. My credit card had not been charged, so I wasn't angry, just wondering if I was getting close and wanted to make sure things were happening.

They replied to the e-mail same day and told me that they'd be ready really soon, and mentioned that the 9's were running slow.

Three weeks later I had a message on my answering machine. Called 'em back and the gal told me that the 9mm machine was broken and she wanted to know if I'd take 124gr JHP instead. Which was thoroughly confusing to me because they do NOT sell this bullet as a component. (they do sell this bullet in loaded ammo) I figured what the heck and agreed...

I pretty much just wanted my 10s and I didn't want to say no to the JHP 9's and delay my 10's even longer.

A week later they arrived. The 9's are a little annoying because I was hoping to get a bullet, build a load and then stick with it... and I could certainly stick with the 124gr JHP EXCEPT for the little fact that they don't actually sell this bullet.

The 10s are ugly little pills... and they make ugly little loaded rounds. They are squatty and dull. Dopey looking. But they loaded up well, didn't seem shoddy in their makeup and they also shot pretty well their first time out.

The 9's look better, but neither bullet is a polished and pretty little number like a premium bullet -- but the price is killer compared to most any other jacketed offering on the market.

I'm a big buyer of Berry's bullets and I don't think those are priced out of whack... it's just that PD's bullets are VERY low in price for jacketed pills. Dogging Berry's because PD is so inexpensive doesn't impress me-- Berry's still kills most every else's jacketed bullet prices. If you want some bullet choices, Berry's has that. Berry's also gives free shipping over $50, PD won't even accept an order under 2,000 bullets. And Berry's gets me their stuff in 5 days and their website is fully functional and easy to use. PD took 8 weeks, called me when an e-mail would have made more sense and their website is pretty chump.

For sure, I think there's a place for both of them. In bullets, there are only a few choices from Precision Delta. If you want .45 and you want jacketed, it better be hardball, because that's all you can get from PD. And they don't offer even one jacketed .357" bullet for any purpose.

I really like PD's prices but it's simply not possible for them to replace Berry's to me. Berry's even offers a damn good .30 cal 110-gr bullet that I can scream out of my Blackhawk -- rated to 1,600 FPS. I can get that for cheaper than ANYONE'S jacketed .30 Carb bullet... but PD can't build a jacketed slug I can use in .357 Magnum?

I'll order from PD again because I'm happy with the bullets and I like the price. But I won't expect the same level of service or selection from them I get from Berry's. That's okay, if the price is right. And the price is right, and now I know. I'll be sure to order my next load well before I run out, because I know I won't have them in five days.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:38 AM   #11
Wrangler5

I've been using PD for years, and quite happily, but they DO have their way of doing things. I have learned what others have mentioned - that it's better to order by phone than by internet as the ladies who talk to you can let you know on the spot what the delivery times are. I've had 124g 9mms take MONTHS, but I order far enough in advance that it hasn't been a real problem.

Once when PD was running WAY behind I tried Montana Gold, which could ship immediately for not a lot more money. Now THOSE are some pretty bullets.
Old May 19, 2010, 03:59 PM   #12
RickV

When I first started reloading I bought all my bullets from PD they shipped fast. Over time they started having short delays, then longer delays. I finally started ordering from Roze Distribution they sell Zero brand bullets just about the same pricing and if their website shows it as available they accually have them. They ship fast, free and you only have to buy them by the 1000 instead of 2000.