The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2015, 02:11 AM   #26
joneb

I would research muzzle breaks, I shot my friends 300 RUM with a MB the load was a 190gr bullet moving at 3100 FPS it was more pleasant to shoot than my 308 Win.
Old April 5, 2015, 08:11 AM   #27
JeepHammer

Quote:
For me, I wouldn't cut the stock at all before adding the recoil pad. I like the extra length. But then, If I was 5'6" tall, I might feel differently. I'm 6'0", and I feel that a little more length of pull is a good thing. A lot of men are quite a bit taller. I don't know how they can stand for a standard length stock, especially on a rifle noted for substantial recoil.
I know you weren't pranging on anyone, I won't either!
To each their own, and welcome to it!

---

At 6'3", I'm ADDING length to most stocks, including ARs.
I do fine with the 'Standard' stocks, but I'm more comfortable with a longer stock, a more natural fit for me when I add a little to the back, lengthen the pull...

If you are 5'6" and you want the rifle to FIT,
No disgrace in cutting the stock.

I don't know why it is...
But there seems to be some kind of stigma about cutting a stock off to fit the 'Smaller' shooter.
I don't hold to that line of thinking, if it fits, it fits and makes the experience that much more pleasurable.

My wife is 5'2", so EVERYTHING she shoots has to be shortened.
I had to buy a woodworking belt sander when she took up 'Cowboy' type firearms, lots of pump action rifles, lever action rifles, even had to cut down her trap gun...
(Ever cut on a $6,000 Kreighoff? That will make you sweat!)

In the military, we were working with indigenous people that averaged about 5'6" and they couldn't hit ANYTHING.
Chopped the stocks down, and the hit rates went WAY UP.

A tall, long arm guy has a much easier time using a short stock rifle than a short guy has using a long stock rifle.
Old April 5, 2015, 09:46 AM   #28
hooligan1

Jeephammer you really must Love that lady to cut the stock on a 6000.00 dollar gun....
I couldnt do it, Id have to prove it in another way, like pulling weeds out of her dead flower bed....
Old April 5, 2015, 12:19 PM   #29
Clark

I want to change my story again:

I want to change my story:

Large Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad that are not ground, so as to preserve as much shoulder contact area as possible.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...220-42179.aspx
Shoot 120 gr Nos Ballistic Tips with 28 gr Blue Dot, for 2500 fps 35 kpsi.
Per Hayes "Elements of Ordnance" the center of mass of the gas will be considered to move at 4,500 fps.
The forward momentum should be [120 gr /7000 gr/lb] 2500 fps + [28 gr/7000 gr/lb] 4500 fps = 61 lb fps
Per Newton's 3rd law of motion the recoil must be equal and opposite of the sum of the momentums of the projectile and the gas.
If the rifle and scope and recoil pad weigh 10 pounds then the rifle should be recoiling at 6.1 fps
The recoil will stop in 3/4" = 0.063 feet before your shoulder and rifle are at the same speed near zero.
Time to stop = 2 distance /velocity = [2].063 feet/ 6.1 fps = .02 seconds
Force equals mass times acceleration is the Newton's second law of motion
F = M A = 10 pounds [0.031 slugs/ pound][6.1 fps / .02 seconds = 95 pounds]
The pressure on the shoulder = Force / area
The recoil pad is ~ 10 square inches
The peak pressure on the recoil pad with be 95 pounds/10 sq in = 9 psi
The threshold of pain [for MY skin per my amateur experiments] = ~ 20 pounds / sq inch
9 psi on the shoulder is less than 20 psi threshold of pain, so 7mmRM will not hurt at all, and will kill any deer out to 300 yards.
You will have to know what you are doing with deer at 400 yards.. aim for the lungs after practicing at long range targets.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 5, 2015, 01:43 PM   #30
Pathfinder45

I'm mostly in agreement with you, Jeephammer. But the part about the tall guys having an easier time with the shorter rifle only holds true with rifles that don't kick much, like a 22LR, in my limited experience. If it has substantial recoil, I want the right length of stock to keep that rifle out of my face when it goes off. I don't have any scope cuts, myself. But I watched a real bloody one happen with a 25-06. The look on the guy's face was the sick smile of chagrin.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:10 PM   #31
Ccctennis

Solution

Use TRAILBOSS POWDER. Drops,microphone

No,really. Use TRAILBOSS. It will feel so-much better.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:19 PM   #32
JeepHammer

First off, I won the gun, I wouldn't pay that for one...
Not because they aren't worth the money,
But because I don't want that much money wrapped up in something I can't eat...

SHE, however, fell INSTANTLY in love with it!
(VERY good taste in firearms, well beyond my budget. )

She wanted to shoot trap, was pretty good at it, so I cut the trap gun and installed a gel pad.
She did pretty well for about 4 seasons, then fell on ice and damaged her rotator cuff and can't shoot a 12 anymore.

When I listed the pull length on gun broker, it sold in 3 days and the woman that purchased it is in love with it.
Said her 'Gun Smith' wouldn't touch her shot gun, about the same price,
So she got ours, sold hers still full length.
(not much of a 'Gun Smith' if he can't do a simple stock shortening...)

----

On the short rifle pull length,
We were giving M1 & M2 carbines to the locals, they couldn't shoot a full size rifle and there wasn't any 'Short' stock M16s at the time,
So M1s and M2s out of military surplus, hack the stocks off and they started hitting something.

I didn't take into account a large guy would try and shoot a magnum with optics...
Without having the proper eye relief, that would be kind of silly and result in EXACTLY what you describe.

I don't feel the 'NEED' to shoot everything offered...
I like some Honda bikes, but I'm not going to ride one!
Old April 5, 2015, 10:20 PM   #33
Marco Califo

Try a friends rifle in 308.
Also try a 223.

You might discover that you like shooting them much more.
They are cheaper to feed.
You can load up a 308 for anything you ought to be shooting at.
Kodiak bear is one thing you should ought not be shooting at, and elephants too I guess.
Old April 5, 2015, 11:11 PM   #34
joneb

Quote:
Try a friends rifle in 308.
Also try a 223.
I would try to make the 7mm mag work, power with flat trajectory what's not to like? With a muzzle brake, yes you can have your cake and eat it to.
Old April 5, 2015, 11:53 PM   #35
Cheapshooter

I tamed the recoil of my Remington 700 7MM Remington Magnum that has a very light weight stock with a muzzle break, and Pachmayr Decelerator pad.
What was once a very hard hitting Magnum rifle on both ends is now as mild as a light weight 243 on my shoulder! No matter what loads I feed it.
The one drawback, if you shoot at a range with others, your neighbors will not like you shooting next to them.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 6, 2015, 12:27 AM   #36
Dufus

Pathfinder45 is spot on with his recommendation with the stock.

The most painful rifle I have ever had was a Rem 700 in 30-06. The stock did not fit for anyone of my buddies and myself. I could get 5 shots out of it, but that was it. I generally don't like the Rem 700, so I got rid of it rather than restocking it. Just was not worth it to me. I have 5 various rifles in 30-06 and can shoot any of them with no bother at all.

A good fitting straight stock is my best and most of my big caliber rifles have them. I don't think I could shoot my 460 Wby if it did not have one.....and I don't shoot it off the bench at all.
Old April 6, 2015, 02:56 AM   #37
Brotherbadger

If I wanted to reduce the recoil, the first thing I would do is look at a new stock. If you are using a synthetic stock, upgrade to a wooden one. The extra weight will make a difference. Granted, this is an expensive fix, but it helps.

Next, get a recoil pad. Limbsavers are popular, but any of the ones mentioned above will work.

After that, a recoil pad shield(PAST) will help.

Finally, go with lighter bullets.

If you do all these suggestions, it will become a very soft shooter.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 6, 2015, 06:00 PM   #38
math teacher

Cheap fix for adding weight to a rifle with a synthetic stock. Remove the recoil pad and the foam filler. Insert a heavy Zip-lock bag filled with lead shot to the weight you wish to add as far ahead as possible. Fill the rest with foam insulation. Trim any extra and replace the pad. It will reduce the recoil, but like a heavier wood stock, there will be more weight to pack around.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:17 PM   #39
punkinhead

Bumping this thread because I bought a Remington 700 in 7mm win mag a few weeks ago. The first range session wasn't as horrible but was bad enough that I wasn't looking forward to the next trip. I bought a Caldwell Super Mag Plus recoil pad and gave it a try today and this things the cat's ass. I shot about a dozen rounds and all I felt was a "push". No pain at all. The thing fits well and stays put.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:22 PM   #40
FITASC

Quote:
No matter what stock he has, a 7mm mag still has lots of recoil
I'll disagree - my 7mm is more of a stout push while my light Model 7 in 7-08 just bucks like a mule. The weight difference makes that happen.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 16, 2015, 07:38 PM   #41
std7mag

Taco,

First off would try different bullet weights, and powders.
They also make a "recoil tamer" that is a tube that mounts inside your stock. Supposed to work great.
After that I would go muzzle brake.

Most loads I shoot out of my Rem Mag don't bother me. I had bought a box of Federal Premiums with 165gr. SPBT Gamekings. Kicked like a Russian Army mule!!!