The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2015, 09:28 PM   #1
McCarthy

Load data for 10mm and Bullseye

I have Bullseye and 10mm 165 FP Rainier LeadSafe Bullets as a given. To be fired out of Glock 29 SF with OEM length LoneWolf barrel. This load will be for 100 once fires brass which show a slight recess close to the rim from a former slight Glock bulge caused by the stock barrel.

Alliant and Lyman 49ths don't show any data for this powder and bullet weight. The Reloaders Reference software I found a couple years ago shows 2 close sets of data which I plan to use as a starting point.

155 HP -> 6.7Gn -> 1190 / 34000
170 HP -> 6.2Gn -> 1135 / 34000

I plan on loading:

20 rounds with 6.1
20 rounds with 6.2
20 rounds with 6.3
20 rounds with 6.4
20 rounds with 6.5

..just to collect first data and see how the reworked brass handles everything and what velocity Bullseye is good for.

This will be my first loads ever. Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?
Old February 22, 2015, 01:18 AM   #2
Nick_C_S

Looks good to me. Myself, I would most likely just do quantities of 10 - but that's just me. If I'm starting completely in the dark - no load data at all (your situation is a little better than that) - I even do sets of 5 to just get started.

Anyway, the quantity you want to do is completely up to you. Here's the only place I want to caution you . . .

Bullseye is a very fast and energetic powder. And although not completely unforgiving, it does have a very steep pressure curve and prefers a lower pressure environment than 10mm (38 Special and 45 ACP are Bullseye's wheelhouse). Your 165gn bullets are light for 10mm, so that's going to reduce the pressure rate and buy you some forgiveness. I am not trying to dissuade you from loading these. On the contrary: I believe you will eventually develop some exceptionally consistent range shooters. I just want to make sure your approach is with the respect that Bullseye requires.

Bullseye can't be beat for consistent ignition and repeatable performance. It's arguably the best target level application propellant ever made. Borders on legendary. But it's Bullseye. And Bullseye is very fast burning and highly energetic. It doesn't like to be loaded hot and it will bite if not respected. Load work ups need to be done in small increments (1/10th gn); and expectations of velocity need to be realistic. The purpose of ammunition made with Bullseye needs to be about consistency and accuracy - not velocity.
Old February 22, 2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

SO to get this right you had no direct load data for the 165 and somewhat split the difference between the 155gr and the 170gr to get an idea of a working load from min-max to work with ? I see you went above the 155 and stayed below the 170.

FWIW staying below the Max for the heavier 170 by .2gr for a 165gr is not a bad idea in theory. However actual base seating depth of bullet needs to be within margins with the 170 data. Figure the actual bullet base seating depth and I would say roll with it without too much fear and check for pressure along the way.

Most suggest working up 2-3 loads max starting at bottom as well and if you follow that suggestion it will keep you more safe in this case IMHO. Usually 5each gets it for me and 10 could be better but no more is needed if you bench rest test the loads for accuracy, check pressure signs are good to go, and slide cycle are 100 . Maybe drop the final two loads to 5-10each as well.
Old February 22, 2015, 01:56 AM   #4
McCarthy

Thanks for the input Nick_C_S and Wreck-n-Crew. I knew I could count on you Nick. Was sitting here and reloading the page every half hour

@Wreck-n-Crew: yes, that's how I came up with the assumed max pressure load for this bullet weight.

Alright, I'll start at 6.0 for good measure and do 10 rounds each.

Time for some more research on pressure signs. I need to be able to identify issues right away. I'll post photos in this thread for feedback.

I also have to order the chrono tonight. By the way I'm not loading for max velocity. These 100 cases are a bit weaker due to resizing the Glock budge without the push through die.

Accuracy und consistency is actually exactly what my skill level progression will need. Shooting factory ammo out of the stock barrel was all over the place. Would be nice to have better ammo and find out how good or bad I am.
Old February 22, 2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Shotgun Slim

Just out of curiosity how do you intend to get rid of the Glock bulge without a push through die? I believe your aftermarket barrel fully supports the case which means if you don't get the cases ironed out there may be feeding issues which you don't need ever but especially when experimenting with new loads.
+1 on being careful with what you're trying. I had to cock an eyebrow when I read Bullseye and 10mm in the same sentence but I think you are getting good advice from others here. Good luck and safe shooting.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:37 PM   #6
McCarthy

I bought a Redding push through die but the first 100 rounds came out with a slight recess. They all clear my Wilson gauge. I just didn't want to toss these 100 cases.
Old February 22, 2015, 11:16 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

I use a Lee push through die with my 10mm. I use it even when my ammo is shot from a Lone Wolf barrel (which is always).

But when I first got my Glocks (29sf, 20sf) I was shooting very potent "HPR" ammo. HPR is a boutique ammo company that doesn't hold back on their rounds (think Buffalo Bore). Anyway, this HPR stuff in the stock barrel really put the screws to the brass. Most had a very robust "Glock smile." Some appeared to even be perforated. I chose to just cut my losses and toss the brass (crushed with pliers and donated to my local range). Oh, and get Lone Wolf barrels

One thing to remember about push-through dies: Push-through dies are not a substitute for resizing. The brass must be resized after pushing through. So you can't just universal decap, then push through. Must resize as well. If the brass isn't resized, it won't have sufficient case tension for seating. I know you're kind of new at this, so I just wanted to make sure you knew.
Old February 22, 2015, 11:56 PM   #8
McCarthy

Quote:
One thing to remember about push-through dies: Push-through dies are not a substitute for resizing. The brass must be resized after pushing through. So you can't just universal decap, then push through. Must resize as well. If the brass isn't resized, it won't have sufficient case tension for seating. I know you're kind of new at this, so I just wanted to make sure you knew.
Same tip came from Chris at Redding. I pushed through and separately sized 600 cases last night. Won't be too long and I'll setup the Dillion My shoulder and wrist started complaining...

By the way: are getting that new Glock 40?
Old February 23, 2015, 01:06 AM   #9
Nick_C_S

Quote:
are getting that new Glock 40?
I just looked it up now. Pretty cool gun. 6" barrel - impressive. But no. I won't be getting it. The big show-stopper being that it's not California legal. And after 19 years on the job, I just got a lay-off notice - so firearm purchases won't be high on my priority list. And then the third reason is my shooting preference - I like revolvers. I'm a big-time wheelgun guy.

I have my 10mm's for SD (29 gets carry duty; 20 gets nightstand duty) and they suit my just fine for the job. I shoot them only to stay sharp (it's past time to get out with them and practice, actually). I do prefer potent rounds for SD. I mean, I usually carry my 9mm because it's easily concealed. But I'd rather carry my G29 or S&W 686 - but they need another layer of clothing to conceal, and here in California it's been a very warm winter - short sleeves most every day.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:18 PM   #10
McCarthy

I finally made it to the range with my new MagnetoSpeed 'on the barrel' chrono.

My hottest loads were 6.8gr of Bullseye under 165gr Plated FN. Average Velocity is 1125 f/s, which came out at 37,059 psi (441 psi below SAAMI max pressure).

I didn't see any pressure signs which suggest a little wiggle room.

The rounds had been quiet accurate. My impression is that Bullseye is pretty snappy and flashy with hotter loads. Dirty too. Good for slower praxis ammo, loved it in .32 SW long and .32 H&R Mag.

I guess I'll crank out some rounds with Power Pistol and Longshot next.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:50 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Quote:
My hottest loads were 6.8gr of Bullseye under 165gr Plated FN. Average Velocity is 1125 f/s, which came out at 37,059 psi (441 psi below SAAMI max pressure).
I'm curious how you measured pressure. 1125 fps is about as fast as you'll want Bullseye to push a 165 grainer. Sounds like a good range round.

Quote:
I didn't see any pressure signs which suggest a little wiggle room.
There is.

Quote:
The rounds had been quiet accurate.
No surprise there.

Quote:
Dirty too.
I prefer to use the term "residuey." But it is. Bullseye leaves a lot of cleanup to do after a good shoot. Probably its biggest pitfall.

Quote:
loved it in .32 SW long and .32 H&R Mag.
I would expect it to perform quite well in the .32 caliber revolver family of cartridges - not a surprise to me at all.

Quote:
I guess I'll crank out some rounds with Power Pistol
Power Pistol is very impressive in 10mm Auto. I'm just getting started with my workups with it in 10mm, but so far, I really like it. (I prefer to use PP in revolver apps; hence, my lack of urgency w/10mm.)
Old April 15, 2015, 10:11 PM   #12
McCarthy

Quote:
I'm curious how you measured pressure.
I put the barrel length, bore diameter, bullet weight and velocity into my Excel sheet. Found this useful file some time ago on the web. I can mail it to you if you want.

Last edited by McCarthy; March 4, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old April 15, 2015, 11:19 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

Oh, okay. It's a calculation program. Pretty neat. But I don't think I need it. I've managed to not blow anything up in 30 years without it. It's good to see that the program would seem to be reasonably accurate though. I believe your 6.8gns of B'eye is probably delivering pressures pretty close to the calculation.

These days, I load with purpose. And the purpose is never "let's see how fast I can get these to go" (not to imply that you do are doing this either). My purpose will usually be something like: "I want a round that delivers slightly more recoil than the round I use in competition." To give a recent example. Even in the self-defense/high recoil realm, I look at published velocities and keep an eye out that I'm not building ammo that's hurting my guns. SAAMI has reduced the max pressure spec for a lot of cartridges over the years; and that suits me just fine. Modern firearms can suit my needs without driving them to the edge their design parameters.

Friday, I'll be out at the range with chronograph in tow. I've got lots of 10mm and 38 Special to evaluate. Will probably be out there for a few hours.