The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2012, 08:20 AM   #26
YARDDOG(1)

"[It is a $20 measure made up of injection molded plastic, that does as well or better than almost any other measure out there costing several times the price]"

Bingo, I've got three for cal I load for. I just set it and
foget it ; )
Y/D
Old October 11, 2012, 10:35 AM   #27
anothernewb

My lee perfect has been a great little unit. very uniform. So consistent, in fact, that as a newb I found myself constantly worrying if my scale was defective - it measured so repeatedly. Too much reading on the forums about charge variations, and wondering what was wrong that I wasn't seeing any...

Yes, mine did leak a bit (with 231) at first, so I took it apart and figured out how it worked. Took a little grinding compound to it to make the surfaces mate better, and sanded a washer down at an angle and put it under handle plate and now it's nearly leak free.

like others have said, for $20 you can't really go wrong can you. even if I had not fixed it at all I think it would have taken a lifetime to leak $40 worth of powder.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:13 PM   #28
brokenanew

I use it. Works well for plinking loads and pistol loads. No more than .2gr most the time no more than .1 variances in powder drop. BUT it does not like stick powders. It meters ball powders REALLY well though. However if you are making up pure accuracy based loads you'll always want to measure your own anyways rather than depend on a manual or automatic powder drop mechanism. Takes long but is worth it.

Any powder drop mechanisms are only really for creating mass amounts of quick loads, progressive and what not. But if accuracy is your game, do it old school.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:44 PM   #29
wncchester

"BUT it (Lee PPM) does not like stick powders."

No volume measure can do really well with tubular powders, the kernels are simply too coarse to fill the chamber consistantly. For most of us, the PPM does better, on average, than others but that varies by the user; all measures benefit from good user technique.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:53 PM   #30
jcwit

Quote:
I use it. Works well for plinking loads and pistol loads. No more than .2gr most the time no more than .1 variances in powder drop. BUT it does not like stick powders. It meters ball powders REALLY well though. However if you are making up pure accuracy based loads you'll always want to measure your own anyways rather than depend on a manual or automatic powder drop mechanism. Takes long but is worth it.

Any powder drop mechanisms are only really for creating mass amounts of quick loads, progressive and what not. But if accuracy is your game, do it old school.
Funny, Benchrest shooters with their highly accurate center fire rifles normally just use a powder measure and forget about weighing powder charges.

Sorta shoots the above opinion.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:56 PM   #31
Sevens

I bought one as my first powder measure back in 1992 after 3 years of powder dippers. For the money it costs, it's a fine deal. Lee is absolutely innovative in their use of plastic and aluminum to make tools that work if your budget doesn't allow for more. I was in college and my load bench at that time was the corner of my waterbed. My budget was "slim to none."

That measure worked awfully well for the less than $20 I spent on it.

I replaced my Lee measure with a Hornady measure that cost FOUR times as much. I liked the Hornady measure better, it felt more sturdy, more well-built and it was more enjoyable to use. I can say that I don't honestly believe that it actually worked any better -- but it was more enjoyable to use and it was therefore worth the money.

Two years ago I stopped using the Hornady measure because I picked up a pre-owned but hardly used Lyman 55. In one session of use with the Lyman 55, I knew that I might not ever use the Hornady measure again.

The Hornady measure sat on my bench for the next 3 months, unused, before I took it off the bench. It's packed away now.

While the Hornady measure was comparable to the Lee measure in how well it metered most anything I put through it, my Lyman 55 beats them both, hands-down, for certain. There are still a couple of powders that even the Lyman 55 isn't perfect with (IMR-800X, Unique, etc) but it's probably my most loved tool in my entire operation. If I gotta fight to the death to save one tool, it's my Lyman 55. I almost feel guilty for what I paid for it.

On a shoe string budget, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is a good buy. If you have more jack and you want a more solid tool that feels like a proper piece of hardware, spend more and get a measure from Hornady, RCBS, Redding or others.

If you want the best of the typical volumetric measures -- get the Lyman 55.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:56 PM   #32
the led farmer

I contend over and over again lee makes good stuff. if after using lee gear and you are getting substandard results, my money is on operator error more often than not.

Lee products are not without their limitations (as are all brands) that are inherent to their designs. As with all volumetric powder measures, there are limitations. Stick to powders and techniques that have been discusses ad nauseam (every issue with lee gear has been resolved here on their own website lee faq).

lee stuff works just fine plain and simple and the ppm is no exception.