The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 30, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Deja vu

TC Encore SBS and SBR and suppressors?

I have been toying with the idea of a 300black out or even a 510 whisper and a matching suppressor. I have also wanted to get a Short barrel shot gun for some time. Suddenly I had the idea of using a contender or encore. Is there going to be any problems having the same gun be a suppressed and a short barrel shotgun and a Short barrel rifle?

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 31, 2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Willie Sutton

Generally, when you apply for your Form 1, you set forth the caliber of the SBR/SBS, but you can put "multiple" in the caliber field and it should be legal as either a SBR or a SBS. You will be engraving the receiver of the Contender, and you should mark "Caliber: Multiple" as well as the other required markings as well. But I would sincerely suggest a phone call to the BATFE before even submitting the Form 1 just to make sure that smoothbore and rifled bore short BBl firearms can be assembled on one receiver so marked and approved as "multiple caliber".

Willie

Old August 1, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
CCCLVII

That is a good question. How do they handle silencers with different uppers on an AR? I have seen people that have a silenced 223 and 458 Socom on the same rig.

As far as I can tell (I am no professional) you may have to get a separate stamp for the SBS and SBR and then one for each suppressor.
Old August 1, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
David Hineline

Well you can't list barrel length, overall length, as N/A anymore and caliber must be specified, no more multi.

But since changes to it are temp. like an AR in the description line you can put also to be used with barrels of various lengths and calibers.

But when you go into shotgun, I do not have an opinion, I would write a letter to BATFE Tech branch.