The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 15, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
PoorRichRichard

Looking for 12 gauge Sabots out of Mod. choke

Have an old Mossburg 500 smooth-bore with a fixed modified choke. I don't have the $ right now for a riffled barrel. Are there any sabot slugs that I can use safely with this gun? Looking for kill shots on coyotes at 75-150 yards. CANNOT use rifles in this area. And most of my shots are to far out for buckshot and/or standard slugs. So, what are my options?

Last edited by PoorRichRichard; February 15, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
NickN723

Shooting sabots out of a smooth barrel is really not an option. Your accuracy will be very poor at short ranges, and non existent at the ranges you are talking. Your only real slug choices would be rifled slugs.
Old February 16, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Sabots can be stripped from or deformed going through the choke costing you a loss of accuracy. All that money spent for an expensive round and then it is wasted. Go with a Brenneke or Foster slug in your Mossberg and you are good to go out to 100 yards if your shooting skills are up to it. I have a scope on my win 1200 and rifle sights on my Mossberg 500 with IM choke and I get 4" - 6" groups at 100 yards shooting slowly and deliberately. The target below is 5 shots at 60 yards standing offhand from my Mossberg as fast as I could pump the gun. Sabot would not have helped and would have probably been worse. You are already good to go forget the Sabot.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--