The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 11, 2011, 07:08 PM   #101
brian45auto

s&w model 10. how many other revolvers can brag about being in constant production for over 100 years? and to have been changed very little in that period. must being doing something right for that to happen. not the biggest, not the fanciest, not the most powerful cartridge...but it all worked and still does.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:10 PM   #102
KMAX

My Best

My best revolver was a S&W 586. I couldn't kill a fly at 40 yards, but he wouldn't have kids. Just kidding, I'm not that good. Also I have a Charter Arms Pathfinder 22LR with a 3" barrel that I used to hunt rabbits with accurately. Not a big fan of Charter Arms other guns, but liked the Pathfinder for a pocket sized snake gun, which is what I bought it for.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:34 PM   #103
black mamba

My vote would go for the S&W .44 Magnum (pre model 29). I owned one for nearly 30 years before selling it about a year ago, as it became too valuable for me to justify using any more. It was a grand old historic piece.
Old September 14, 2011, 10:58 AM   #104
cochise

S&W old model 29 magnums, simply beautiful and the birth of the true big bore handguns!
Old September 14, 2011, 02:21 PM   #105
Dave T

I've read through all 5 pages and there are a lot of different opinions...no surprise there. The most common or often mentioned theme (maybe because I agree with it - LOL) seems to be the N-frame S&W. That being the case I believe the best model of all-time would have to be the first, the grandfather of them all. I'm referring of course to the 1st Model 44 Hand Ejector, the New Century or most commonly the Triple Lock. None of the other N-frames would exist if not for this one. The Registered Magnum is a direct descendent. The 44 Magnum grew out of the Triple Lock's 44 Special original chambering.

This one:

lettered as shipping from the factory in 1914 with a 5" barrel, blued finish and checkered walnut stocks.

It's been re-blued (making it affordable) but still shoots better than I can (or at least better than I can see - LOL again). Six factory 246g LRNs printed just a tad to the left but stayed in a 2" group at 20 yards.

This old warrior holds a special place in my safe, first among the S&W revolvers and IMO the "Best of all-time!" (smile)

Dave
Old September 15, 2011, 12:19 PM   #106
bds32

Although I can't say its the best, I can say that this is my favorite:

S&W 627-2 Performance Center (manuf. 1997-1998). Eight shots .357, five inch barrel, adjustable rear sight, interchangable front sight, smooth trigger. Compliment this with a set of Herrett's Trooper stocks and you can't go wrong. It's the grandson of the original .357 mag. Great all around handgun for just about anything you want to do.
Old September 17, 2011, 06:41 AM   #107
TNT

I favor the Rugers and particularly the Blackhawks (the GP101 is great dont get me wrong) I just never developed a liking for double actions they just didn't feel comfortable to me.
Old September 18, 2011, 08:29 AM   #108
rodfac

Colt's Single Action Army...or its clone (with massive improvements), Ruger's Blackhawk. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 18, 2011, 08:33 AM   #109
rodfac

Dave T...that's one beautiful revolver...and, my previous post notwithstanding, you may be right....it's the great-granddaddy of all the superb Smiths to follow, and deserves credit as such....was it the end-product or the precursor? ... we know that it started a dynasty that's lasted till today's offerings...Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 20, 2011, 12:49 AM   #110
AdamSean

In my opinion, it is the Ruger SP101. The best self defense handgun ever. Solid steel, unquestioned reliability, and many different chamberings. I love them.
Old September 20, 2011, 11:21 PM   #111
Old 454

IMO for just all around use weather its target shooting or PD...I would go with the Ruger Security Six....great gun that can just take a beating and keep on going.
Old September 21, 2011, 06:13 AM   #112
BarkSlayer

The Smith 686P with a 3" barrel.
Old September 21, 2011, 09:07 AM   #113
indiandave

Smith & wesson model29. If it was good enough for Dirty Harry,it's good enough for me.
Old September 23, 2011, 11:23 PM   #114
PzGren

This is not the first time that this question comes up. There is hardly the ultimately best revolver around but there are some where you can be sure they are the finest; Freedom Arms, S&W Registered Magnums, Korth revolvers, and the MR73.

The Python had its variations in quality over its production period. Mine is a 1974 vintage and is from one of the better years. It is lightyears behind the 1969 Korth with a solid barrel.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:21 AM   #115
gak

Can't remember if I already voted, but another for the 686, pre lock and the Plus model 7 shooter ideally. I prefer the 3" for carryability, but if it had to be "the one and only forever" probably the ubiquitous 4" for veratility of use. If the OP added the criteria "and be reasonably CC'able," I'll throw in my K frame 65LS (Lady Smith)--3", prelock, fixed sight, full lug/shroud, satin stainless, as good as it gets.
Old September 24, 2011, 11:07 PM   #116
Bob D

Best revolver

It must be the Smith & Wesson K-frame, preferably the 4" Mod 66.
Old September 25, 2011, 11:56 AM   #117
FairWarning

When you say "best" or "greatest", to me it means more than just technical specification. If you asked for the greatest sports car, many people would choose decades old classics which are much slower than today's beasts. But they were "great".

In terms of quality, desirability, reliability, etc, it would be tough to top the Colt Python. But they are rare and expensive to the point now of being glass case guns, not shooters.

I don't think you can really ask for much more than the S&W 686P all things considered. The Ruger SP101 is similarly capable, but not very sexy. If you limited it to bang for the buck, I guess the SP101 would win. But if you had your choice of two women, both of whom could cook, carry on lively conversation, do OTHER things well, etc, but one was average and one was a total hot rod, which one would you take?

Last edited by FairWarning; September 25, 2011 at 12:15 PM.

Tags
firearm , handgun , pistol , revolver , weapon